Ok I should know but I don't so asking for advice

Sea Hustler

Visit site
Ok, I should know but I don't and there is a good reason why, which is because I don't know.

The story so far; so I learnt to sail about 55 years ago, or to be more accurate, I did a weekend sailing course on Lake Bala in Wales on an outward bound course sailing a Mirror dinghy. If I say so myself, that weekend was one of the most formative few days of my entire childhood and stirred something in me that I remembered for the next 55 years as I did the work, marry, father , divorce, marry again, work, retire thing. During that time I also served at sea for a couple of years, did a fair bit of Kayaking and raced power boats at National level. So it made perfect sense to me to buy my first proper sail boat when I retired last year.

She is a 24ft 50/50 motor sailer, built 1968, a bit scruffy but I will get to the pretty stuff later, sleeps 6 (yeah right, may sleep 6 but living aboard, no way) still she weighs in at about 3 1/2 tons, draws 2' 6" with encapsulated bilge keels and has a hull speed of 6 knots according to the stats I've been able to find. Roller furling on both genoa and main and would give any America's Cup Race Team a good run for their money, before I awake from my dream and realised that the only foiling that was going on here was in the galley.

I've spent the past 18 months returning her to a seagoing condition after her previous owners turned her into a floating apartment complete with 13 amp ring main, solid fuel stove where the flue came straight out of the starboard deck right in line with the jib car and more Hammerite paint on all the moving parts of the deck fittings than you could shake a nothing works now boat hook at. Eventual I got her ready for sea and recently moved her under diesel wind from Essex to Chichester where I have been going out in her as much as possible to relearn any slight sailing skills I may have retained and highlight the many jobs I still have to do to make both her and I ready for the open ocean - well cruising the south Coast to be more accurate.

So here it is, this weekend I wanted to get her out to sea and hoist the sails to see if I could improve on the 1.5 knots I had previously achieved under sail (in very very light air I may add) and figure out how to trim the sails etc. So armed with my trusted diagrams about close hauled, close reach, beam reach, broad reach and all points south I managed to get her up to 4.9 knots which is 1 knot and a pip off her hull speed. This was in a force 4/5 and I may add some interestingly swelly swells. So as my Mrs 1st Mate said between hurling her breakfast all over the cockpit sole and muttering things like "bloody )(**&^ what's wrong with a solid surface that doesn't rock about the whole damn time and -huwwwweeeee "oh look there's my breakfast again", where I don't have to look at the sausage sandwich I eat a few hours ago again. Then came my problem, after sailing close hauled, backing off to a close reach and then a beam reach, where I achieved my hitherto unimagined speed of 4.9 knots (I previously held the class water speed record whilst racing the power boat of 81.4 mh and also won the Scottish National Championship) But this was 4.9knots using nothing but the wind instead of a 600 horsepower Mercury racing engine turning a prop at stupid revolutions per minute, that was so sharp you would cut you finger off if you were careless enough to slide it down the leading edge, I thought if I ever wanted Mrs 1st Mate to stand on deck doing an impression of Simon Le Bon and Duran Duran singing Rio, I had best turn around and head back to the flat waters of Chichester Harbour.

This is where Rod Stewart and I had a slight disagreement, you see whereas he "was sailing, he was sailing cross the waters, cross the sea" I wasn't. Well to be precise, I was, but not in the direction Mrs 1st Mate wanted me to be. And this is where I need some friendly advice, note I said friendly because there will be a multitude of detractors who will say "listen to your wife, sell it and buy a camper van" So there I am, charging along at breakneck speed, so fast the paint is being stripped from the hull as we leap from crest to crest, assorted molluscs that had clung like limpets (they were actually limpets I think) to the antifouling were dying because we are out of water for so long, wind in my bald head, spray flying so thick it tasted like a salt water smoothie and now I had to turn. So wind is currently on my starboard quarter, main is sheeted in so boom is over the port quarter, Genoa is trimmed so widest part of the sail is just on the rail and I turn to starboard. Wheel to starboard and she begins to come round, I get far enough round so that we are pretty much broadside onto the wind and she stops turning, I release the loaded genoa sheet and prepare to haul in the lazy sheet once her head comes through the wind. but short of letting the entire length run through the block and fly free,she just stops turning. I can see that the wind is now blowing side on straight into the genoa preventing the bow from coming any further into the wind and no chance of going across it and despite having the helm (wheel} hard over, she just will not come round any farther. So I rinse and repeat by falling off the wind and regaining some speed, same thing, every time I get broadside to the wind, the genoa fills and she wont come round any further, She bloody well does when I turn on the engine and drive her through the wind but strangely I think thats call motoring not sailing.

So what am I doing wrong, I know I'm doing something wrong but as a 70 year old who learnt to sail in a little mirror dinghy over half a century ago, my memory isn't that good, or they didn't teach us that bit on Lake Bala, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. YES I KNOW, go and take a sailing course, but I have sunk virtually every penny I have into this project and I simply cannot afford to do that even though I know it would be super useful, would remove the need for me to embarrass myself by posting this on the YBW forum and avoid any chance of some young kid who has been sailing since he was three, from falling overboard laughing at my pathetic attempts to sail back to my home port. And beside, If I did that it would mean those of you who are going to say, "go and take a sailing course " would not have anything to write about now would you. So its life jack on, life buoy fitted, life sling fitted, radio course done and radio to hand along with grab bag, dinghy towed behind and a few choice words to Poseidon before casting off and hope for the best while learning as you go.

As I said, it would be most helpful if people could not laugh too loudly, but rather offer simple advice as I intend to sail down to Cornwall this summer and that will be rather difficult if a can't turn Westward from Chichester as I will have to amend my destination to wherever Eastward takes me.

Be nice, I know Im setting myself up for a real roasting here but hey ho, go for it if you want, Im old enough and ugly enough to take it but you will get some back believe me.

Last edited:

MADRIGAL

Visit site
From one old dinghy sailor to another, thank you for that first-rate yarn - and I'm sorry about the First Mate's breakfast.

They probably told you at Bala that when rounding up from a reach to close hauled, you should move weight aft so the rudder gets a good bite on the water and the centre of effort moves aft. With the centreboard fully down (moving the pivot point forward) sheet in while turning slowly to windward to maintain boat speed and to avoid stalling the rudder. This is all well and good in a dinghy, but most of it impractical in a larger vessel. The exceptions would be the importance of boat speed and not stalling the rudder so that it acts as a brake instead of a foil.

Other things I would think of relate to rig tuning and how much Genoa you have out, which are within your control, and design of the hull, which obviously is not. For example, on a beam reach at 4.9 knots, she should be trying to gripe up a bit to windward (weather helm). If she tends to turn away from the wind (lee helm), this should be controllable with rig tuning - more rake to the mast, for example, moving the centre of effort aft. Keeping some of the Genoa furled should also help in this case. If the Genoa has more sail area than the main (common in older masthead rigs) this could help.

I am still a dinghy sailer (dinghy cruiser, actually) and although I have sailed yachts, I have never sailed a motor sailer. Something that comes to mind are changes in fore-and-aft trim when water and fuel tanks are full or empty. Also, whether there was a tidal current running with you, which would have reduced the effectiveness of the rudder. Others more knowledgeable than me will be able to comment on hull design and on whether this is a common problem with motor sailers.

Thanks again for a great tale! I hope you get things sorted. It's amazing how fast 4.9 knots seems in a sailing boat. Wayfarer hull speed is about 5.5 knots and if I get up to that it seems like flying.

billyfish

Visit site
Good tail.. I have a motor sailer now which is a bit sluggish, boat speed is all important, lay off the wind a bit then hard over back the geny so it pulls her through. But if it doesn't I always say it's a motor sailer give it a blast. What the he'll my Dad won't see.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Some of these old motor sailors will not tack in certain conditions. All made worse by old sails & poorly set up rig etc. You are meant to use the engine. There have been tales of similar woe on the forum in the past. Unfortunately, people buy these old dogs without researching, or having a clue how bad they are. They are cheap (to buy) for a reason.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Some of these old motor sailors will not tack in certain conditions. All made worse by old sails & poorly set up rig etc. You are meant to use the engine. There have been tales of similar woe on the forum in the past. Unfortunately, people buy these old dogs without researching, or having a clue how bad they are. They are cheap (to buy) for a reason.

Bit harsh don't you think ??

I have a 25ft Motor Sailer ... Sunrider 25. She will tack - even the one OP has attempted and failed ... BUT ... the boat is designed to have the engine and sails working together. OP has to accept that engine will be used a lot of the time when out there .... running before the wind ... engine can be off ... beam reach ... engine can be off ... but once wind comes fwd of the beam - it usually means engine on to make good speed.

The problem OP has met ... even if you let genny fly - that genny will still hold the bow as she turns up ... basically 'in irons' ... so what to do ? Main should assist rudder (usually Motor sailer rudders are smaller - yes true - than out and out sailers - because they are designed to also work with prop wash ...)
If various sheeting angles of main / genny do not solve it ... then roll the genny in and use main / rudder to force her round ... engine if needed. Its no good trying to back the genny - as OP has not reached the point where genny would do it .. he'd in fact make it even harder to complete the tack.

Its possible that reducing the genny to small enough that it could be flattened along the centreline may help ... but then that will depend on the sheeting arrangements ... and the cut of the sail - especially being a furler.

My SR25 spends about 50% of her sail time with engine assisting ... it doesn't need much throttle ... so I suggest that OP goes out and experiments with throttle settings to find the sweet spot that engine is just helping ... mine is about 25 - 30% throttle ... she will maintain 5kts STW all day long ... tack .. gybe ...
I can actually as long as weather does not turn foul - set an ETA at destination and be quietly confident to meet that ETA ... The beauty of Motor Sailers !! I can get there before the Pub shuts !!

ashtead

Visit site
A practical solution might be to move the mast - you don’t say model of you new found toy in what is otherwise a florid description but maybe revealing the make might elicit helpful advice from fellow suffers -seems to me trading in might not be far off though?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I fear if you want to enjoy "sailing" then buying an old tired "motor sailor" might not have been the right choice of boat.

But most of it is down to experience. I too remember on my first trip out in a blow I could not get my little ship to tack, it just about got into irons then drifted back the way it came from. Now I would do that without even thinking about it and wonder "how could you get it wrong?"

With a more modern sailing boat you could have been like us recently, sailing at 6.3 knots (slightly above theoretical hull speed) in just 12 knots of wind.

Every boat is individual. I learned that is is possible to stall a rudder sailing someone else's boat. I just could not work out why the boat was not turning and turning the rudder even further had no effect. "Oh you have stalled the rudder, turn it back somewhat"

Last edited:

Supertramp

Visit site
A good story and I relate to your issues. With any sailing boat it takes time to learn and practice so that the full spectrum of the boat's peculiarities are understood. Twin keels, shallow draft, modest sail area and heavy displacement all bring their own challenges.

The label motorsailer is often applied to slower, heavier, cruising oriented boats. In many cases these boats will sail well, especially in stronger winds. But they share a poorer windward performance particularily tacking to windward.

After several years with a motorsailer I have learnt that my particular boat (long keel, ketch, roller main etc) is not at its best tacking or going close hauled in under 10 knts of wind. But she holds her own under sail in F3 and above with similar size cruising yachts. The reassurance of a comfortable boat and large engine offset the sluggish windward performance.
Screenshot_20240608_091505_Gallery.jpg
So my suggestion is as others have said to experiment, adjust sails and learn what works and doesn't work for your boat in a range of wind and sea conditions. Go for a sail with someone else on their boat - you will pick up lots of tips. Then you can develop understanding of what will be a pleasant sail versus what will be a battle. Use the engine or adjust your plans to reduce ordeals. A lot of this is not about the boat but understanding the sea state and wind forecast.

When others are involved, especially my wife, then I try hard to avoid ordeals!

Tranona

Visit site
Post#5 has most of it covered. The key is to use the engine to overcome the basic characteristics of the design from a sailing point of view - inefficient underwater shape and lack of sail area in relation to displacement. Motorsailers are often described as 50/50 power/sail and the speed you obtained under sail suggests your boat is maybe a 60/40 and the sails are there to assist the engine rather than the other way around. Some details of the boat would help as there may be ways to improve it.

nevis768

Visit site
Ok, I should know but I don't and there is a good reason why, which is because I don't know.

The story so far; so I learnt to sail about 55 years ago, or to be more accurate, I did a weekend sailing course on Lake Bala in Wales on an outward bound course sailing a Mirror dinghy. If I say so myself, that weekend was one of the most formative few days of my entire childhood and stirred something in me that I remembered for the next 55 years as I did the work, marry, father , divorce, marry again, work, retire thing. During that time I also served at sea for a couple of years, did a fair bit of Kayaking and raced power boats at National level. So it made perfect sense to me to buy my first proper sail boat when I retired last year.

She is a 24ft 50/50 motor sailer, built 1968, a bit scruffy but I will get to the pretty stuff later, sleeps 6 (yeah right, may sleep 6 but living aboard, no way) still she weighs in at about 3 1/2 tons, draws 2' 6" with encapsulated bilge keels and has a hull speed of 6 knots according to the stats I've been able to find. Roller furling on both genoa and main and would give any America's Cup Race Team a good run for their money, before I awake from my dream and realised that the only foiling that was going on here was in the galley.

I've spent the past 18 months returning her to a seagoing condition after her previous owners turned her into a floating apartment complete with 13 amp ring main, solid fuel stove where the flue came straight out of the starboard deck right in line with the jib car and more Hammerite paint on all the moving parts of the deck fittings than you could shake a nothing works now boat hook at. Eventual I got her ready for sea and recently moved her under diesel wind from Essex to Chichester where I have been going out in her as much as possible to relearn any slight sailing skills I may have retained and highlight the many jobs I still have to do to make both her and I ready for the open ocean - well cruising the south Coast to be more accurate.

So here it is, this weekend I wanted to get her out to sea and hoist the sails to see if I could improve on the 1.5 knots I had previously achieved under sail (in very very light air I may add) and figure out how to trim the sails etc. So armed with my trusted diagrams about close hauled, close reach, beam reach, broad reach and all points south I managed to get her up to 4.9 knots which is 1 knot and a pip off her hull speed. This was in a force 4/5 and I may add some interestingly swelly swells. So as my Mrs 1st Mate said between hurling her breakfast all over the cockpit sole and muttering things like "bloody )(**&^ what's wrong with a solid surface that doesn't rock about the whole damn time and -huwwwweeeee "oh look there's my breakfast again", where I don't have to look at the sausage sandwich I eat a few hours ago again. Then came my problem, after sailing close hauled, backing off to a close reach and then a beam reach, where I achieved my hitherto unimagined speed of 4.9 knots (I previously held the class water speed record whilst racing the power boat of 81.4 mh and also won the Scottish National Championship) But this was 4.9knots using nothing but the wind instead of a 600 horsepower Mercury racing engine turning a prop at stupid revolutions per minute, that was so sharp you would cut you finger off if you were careless enough to slide it down the leading edge, I thought if I ever wanted Mrs 1st Mate to stand on deck doing an impression of Simon Le Bon and Duran Duran singing Rio, I had best turn around and head back to the flat waters of Chichester Harbour.

This is where Rod Stewart and I had a slight disagreement, you see whereas he "was sailing, he was sailing cross the waters, cross the sea" I wasn't. Well to be precise, I was, but not in the direction Mrs 1st Mate wanted me to be. And this is where I need some friendly advice, note I said friendly because there will be a multitude of detractors who will say "listen to your wife, sell it and buy a camper van" So there I am, charging along at breakneck speed, so fast the paint is being stripped from the hull as we leap from crest to crest, assorted molluscs that had clung like limpets (they were actually limpets I think) to the antifouling were dying because we are out of water for so long, wind in my bald head, spray flying so thick it tasted like a salt water smoothie and now I had to turn. So wind is currently on my starboard quarter, main is sheeted in so boom is over the port quarter, Genoa is trimmed so widest part of the sail is just on the rail and I turn to starboard. Wheel to starboard and she begins to come round, I get far enough round so that we are pretty much broadside onto the wind and she stops turning, I release the loaded genoa sheet and prepare to haul in the lazy sheet once her head comes through the wind. but short of letting the entire length run through the block and fly free,she just stops turning. I can see that the wind is now blowing side on straight into the genoa preventing the bow from coming any further into the wind and no chance of going across it and despite having the helm (wheel} hard over, she just will not come round any farther. So I rinse and repeat by falling off the wind and regaining some speed, same thing, every time I get broadside to the wind, the genoa fills and she wont come round any further, She bloody well does when I turn on the engine and drive her through the wind but strangely I think thats call motoring not sailing.

So what am I doing wrong, I know I'm doing something wrong but as a 70 year old who learnt to sail in a little mirror dinghy over half a century ago, my memory isn't that good, or they didn't teach us that bit on Lake Bala, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. YES I KNOW, go and take a sailing course, but I have sunk virtually every penny I have into this project and I simply cannot afford to do that even though I know it would be super useful, would remove the need for me to embarrass myself by posting this on the YBW forum and avoid any chance of some young kid who has been sailing since he was three, from falling overboard laughing at my pathetic attempts to sail back to my home port. And beside, If I did that it would mean those of you who are going to say, "go and take a sailing course " would not have anything to write about now would you. So its life jack on, life buoy fitted, life sling fitted, radio course done and radio to hand along with grab bag, dinghy towed behind and a few choice words to Poseidon before casting off and hope for the best while learning as you go.

As I said, it would be most helpful if people could not laugh too loudly, but rather offer simple advice as I intend to sail down to Cornwall this summer and that will be rather difficult if a can't turn Westward from Chichester as I will have to amend my destination to wherever Eastward takes me.

Be nice, I know Im setting myself up for a real roasting here but hey ho, go for it if you want, Im old enough and ugly enough to take it but you will get some back believe me.
Nice story, I think it will come round if you back the jib, but as Tranona says, boat details required. I have a Mascot 28 which sails really well, so there are motor sailers of varying sailing abilities. The much smaller ones, don't tend to sail well to windward.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Don't try to tack too quickly.

In my 34 ton pilot cutter, to tack, I first crack off the wind slightly, then I start the tack fairly slowly and gently, gradually putting on more rudder as she slows down and gets closer to pointing dead into the wind. Of course once you are through the eye of the wind, you can let a foresail back to help your around. But first you need to get through the eye.

When I first got the boat, I could not get it to tack either...... I was trying too fast and putting on too much rudder too quickly.

Also, at the other far extreme end of the scale in my very lightweight Hobie Cat FX One which was cat rigged (just a main), the same thing applied.
If I tried to tack quickly I would get stuck in irons. I needed almost the exact same technique as on my 34 ton pilot cutter.

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
I need to keep the genoa backed on my boat to tack, also if very close hauled I need to bear away to build up speed to get the bows through the wind. if things are really bad I use the engine to assist.

ylop

Visit site
One revelation I had moving from dinghy to cruising yacht was that gybing was not quite as scary. The ability to depower the main and make relatively controlled gybes v’s a dinghy where it was the manoeuvre likely to put you in the drink. I’m mentioning this because if my mental picture was right you were trying to go from broad reach to broad reach?

However - I would say the forces on a yacht are much higher so it would be worth paying an instructor to come for a day and help you and 1st mate get confidence in her. You’ll want someone with experience of motorsailors.

Refueler

Visit site
Nice story, I think it will come round if you back the jib, but as Tranona says, boat details required. I have a Mascot 28 which sails really well, so there are motor sailers of varying sailing abilities. The much smaller ones, don't tend to sail well to windward.

Backing jib can help - but I get impression that OP is not getting far enough through the tack to do that ... which is actually not unusual on MS's ..

MisterBaxter

Visit site
First of all good work on the whole project, it's a beautiful PBO story of the unquenchable desire to carry out a project that is expensive, uncomfortable and time-consuming, purely for the sake of a strange and indefinable satisfaction.
It sounds as though the drag of the flapping foresail was holding her head off the wind. I would try gradually coming up to the wind and sheeting the sails in as you turn, so that the sails keep driving right up to a close reach or close-hauled course. Hold that course for a moment so that you've got as much speed as is available, then put the helm down to tack, firmly but not too fast.
There may be some experimentation needed as to what she wants you to do with the jib as she tacks - let it fly once it loses the wind, or keep it sheeted in so that it backs and pushes her head around, then release and sheet in on the new tack.

Sea Hustler

Visit site
Wow, So much advice and not a word of criticism, thanks guys, I though I was in for a roasting there.
Guess I should take every comment one at a time.

So....
From one old dinghy sailor to another, thank you for that first-rate yarn - and I'm sorry about the First Mate's breakfast.

They probably told you at Bala that when rounding up from a reach to close hauled, you should move weight aft so the rudder gets a good bite on the water and the centre of effort moves aft. With the centreboard fully down (moving the pivot point forward) sheet in while turning slowly to windward to maintain boat speed and to avoid stalling the rudder. This is all well and good in a dinghy, but most of it impractical in a larger vessel. The exceptions would be the importance of boat speed and not stalling the rudder so that it acts as a brake instead of a foil.

Other things I would think of relate to rig tuning and how much Genoa you have out, which are within your control, and design of the hull, which obviously is not. For example, on a beam reach at 4.9 knots, she should be trying to gripe up a bit to windward (weather helm). If she tends to turn away from the wind (lee helm), this should be controllable with rig tuning - more rake to the mast, for example, moving the centre of effort aft. Keeping some of the Genoa furled should also help in this case. If the Genoa has more sail area than the main (common in older masthead rigs) this could help.

I am still a dinghy sailer (dinghy cruiser, actually) and although I have sailed yachts, I have never sailed a motor sailer. Something that comes to mind are changes in fore-and-aft trim when water and fuel tanks are full or empty. Also, whether there was a tidal current running with you, which would have reduced the effectiveness of the rudder. Others more knowledgeable than me will be able to comment on hull design and on whether this is a common problem with motor sailers.

Thanks again for a great tale! I hope you get things sorted. It's amazing how fast 4.9 knots seems in a sailing boat. Wayfarer hull speed is about 5.5 knots and if I get up to that it seems like flying.
Thanks for that helpful advice, I could never really claim to be 'an old dinghy sailor' having only spent the saturday Morning on the lake in a Beaufort as a group (one brave soul, or rather stupid idiot offered to jump into the lake so we could practice MOB drill for real, Bala is a wee bit nippy in April as he discovered) then an afternoon session out in the mirrors I helmed while an uninterested lad crewed, followed by an evening session where I was allowed out single handed for the most exhilarating few hours of my life up till then, hence the long lasting impression that moment had on me.

As for trim of the rig, everything goes a bit grey and fuzzy when people mention that. I have worked out that the pole thing is held up by the wire things and the floaty bit is at the bottom bobbing about on the watery stuff would be my technical spec on that one. I realise there is so much more to sailing than I currently know and until I learn much much more, I will have to suffer the problems created by that lack of knowledge. I have noted that the forestay, and cap shrouds are much tighter than the inner shrouds which have a slight amount of play in them but adjusting something as complicated as that is beyond my abilities at present, just have to hope it all stays up for now. My main objective at present is to keep the wet stuff outside the hull, myself and Mate, inside and the pointy bit heading roughly where I want to go. I get the bit about trim with water, fuel etc but all that pales into insignificance when !st Mate unpacks the dinghy and the boat settles another foot or two above the waterline.,so my loading 35 litres of fuel and 45 of water is nothing compared to makeup, clothes, shoes, hairdryer, towels, handbags, slippers, dressing gown, more makeup, spare kitchen sink, waterproofs, more make up and my toothbrush.

I think I understand the bit about stalling the rudder but as a Driving Instructor for over 35 years, I have already tried, depressing the clutch and re-starting the engine but it didn't seem to help, I even checked my mirrors before moving off again but I will bear that in mind. I do note the idea of partially reducing sail area on the genoa prior to tacking which is something I will definitely try. Thanks again.

johnalison

Visit site
You say that the wind is on the starboard quarter but the main is sheeted in, when I would expect it to be fairly free. If that is the case, you will not be getting any drive when the wind is abeam and then ahead, leaving nothing but the flogging genoa to act on the boat. I would sheet the main correctly and let this drive you into the wind.

Refueler

Visit site
Bala Lake .... my Father had Cottages near Bala Lake .. they were from my Grandparents time ... I had to rescue my Grandmother in middle of winter from one when she became unable to look after herself ... forgive the probable bad spelling - but village was (as spoken phonetically) : Pennygarned.