Ocean Globe race.

capnsensible

Visit site
Next epic adventure to set off from UK is Don Mcintyres latest, setting off from Southampton on Sunday.

Having avidly watched Maiden first time round, great to see her on lap 2.

Good luck all!

Home

jlavery

Visit site
Yes, will be watching too. I was on the 89/90 race, was impressed by Maiden at the time.

Meanwhile Simon Curwen is on the Ocean Globe (with his wife's blessing, apparently) as navigator. Can't remember which boat.

capnsensible

Visit site
Which yacht were you on?

A renamed Fisher and Paykel sits on a mooring just outside Marina Rubicon, Lanzarote. Has been there years and is getting a bit sad.

jlavery

Visit site
I did the three cold legs (Punta - Fremantle, Fremantle - Auckland, Auckland - Punta) on Creightons Naturally.

Think there are quite a few ex WRTWR boats wasting away in various boatyards.

capnsensible

Visit site
Jealous!

A friend and myself had a good shot at some legs in an earlier race on a Services Yacht but a publicity seeking disowned by his regiment paratrooper took it over.

I'm over it now. Really. No grudge at all. :)

jlavery

Visit site
Whereas Creightons has been reborn into a fantastic (large) family and charter yacht.

Not too sure about the doghouse though.

B27

Visit site
Whereas Creightons has been reborn into a fantastic (large) family and charter yacht.

Not too sure about the doghouse though.

Creightons was quite an old boat before it was even named Creighton's?
IIRC ,the cost per foot of buying it before the race was quite cheap, but much was spent on it then!

Interesting, the Creighton's brand seems to pop up in Aldi recently, having not seen it for consumer stuff for 25 years?

jlavery

Visit site
Creightons was quite an old boat before it was even named Creighton's?
IIRC ,the cost per foot of buying it before the race was quite cheap, but much was spent on it then!

Interesting, the Creighton's brand seems to pop up in Aldi recently, having not seen it for consumer stuff for 25 years?
Ocean Greyhound before Creightons, I think

flaming

Visit site
Although the VO70s produced far faster speeds and incredible videos, and the VO65s produced the closest racing in the history of the event...

I can't help but feel that nobody will be talking about them in the same way in 30 years time.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the first Whitbread. How far has sailing come on since then! Makes, for me, this retro race more interesting.