Now I'm a RIBster...

Observer

Visit site
Now I\'m a RIBster...

(or nearly) I'd appreciate advice/tips on any of the following (also posting this on rib.net in case amybody was going to suggest it).

1. Recommended place(s) to buy:
- waterskis (adult and child)
- ringo or similar water toy for non-skiers
- wetsuits

Should I consider second hand. If so where?

2. What's the best method of providing a towing point for skis/toys for a 6m RIB with outboard. I assume a ski-eye but where to fix it as the transom centre is occupied (obviously) by the outboard.

3. Views on whether I should do water-ski driver training (I have powerboat level 2 and motor cruiser day skipper practical/coastal skipper shorebased). I have done some ski-ing also but not expert (still on two skis).

4. Places to water-ski near Portsmouth (I know about the Langstone Harbour area - any others?)

5. May want convenience of keeping boat in water, at least for 2-3 "high summer" (joke) months. Is anti-fouling a must or would I get away without and jetwash/scrub when I take the boat out again?

6. Do I need boarding ladder to aid recovery of skiers? Kids OK to pull over the tubes but how easy to pull myself in?

Thanks everybody (in advance).

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Observer on 14/03/2003 10:48 (server time).</FONT></P>

Visit site
Re: Now I\'m a RIBster...

Best to attach the tow hook in front of the outboard, inside the RIB (stainless A bracket) the higher the better as it stops the the rope catching in the wake and gives a straighter (nicer) pull.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site

Do you mean a full height A frame (which you could also use for nav. lights)? I was hoping to avoid too much expense (don't know how much this would cost but assume several hundred).

Is that the only way?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site

You don't have to get too over the top just enough to clear the O/board, not the cheapest option but definitely best, is also much easier and safer to retreive the line when you have finished rather than fishing around leaning over the back of the boat, even assuming you have killed the motor.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AJW

Visit site

Welcome to the fold! Also see you have joined us schoolboys (as Kim likes to describe us) at Rib.net. Easiest way to attach ski rope is to rig a bridle from two ski/towing eyes either side of the outboard. Thats the way I do it for the occasional ski tows. The ski line can then be attached to a loop in the centre of the bridle.

Other alternative is a suitably reinforced A frame - caution that some are not terribly well fitted in the first place and can take their own weight let along the forces exerted by a skier. I believe from Skiing friends that this gives a better quality of pull than a bridle. Something to do with the height and angles etc. Personally I prefer to be on the water rather than in it!!

Given your stated degree of experience/training BWSF driver course probably not neccessary. What would be good is to find someone with Ski towing experince and get them to come with you for the first time.

No need to antifoul imho for 2-3 months. Jetwash should do the job. Some do funny things like put baby oil on underside of tubes but I think thats a but pervy meself.

What sort of RIB do you have?

HTH,
AJ

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try the U bolts/bridle idea first on grounds of cost (not looking to compete with Mike Hailwood) and consider a pukka A frame if that doesn't work so well. I guess won't matter either way if I'm just pulling the kids in a ringo (which is most likely unless I can find another driver to tow me - SWMBO not a very probable candidate).

I've just bought a 6m Bombard Explorer with 70hp Tohatsu. Trialled yesterday and seemd very well-mannered.

Funny you should mention baby oil. We've got about a gallon of the stuff left over from last progeny arrival. Perhaps could advertise on rib.net?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

Yes, a bridle works well. yes, you'll need a ladder but a floppy one will do. Not sure bout the other things. Get a trailer and drag it down to port Inland at cannes mandelieu, then easyjet to nice weather and find that decent food does not include chips, gravy or carrots.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Other threads that may be of interest