Novice - Totally Without a Clue!!

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Hi,
Just to give you some incentive - last year a couple on the liveaboard forum packed up their jobs etc & sailed off into the big blue. As far as I'm aware their experience was just a couple of seasons sailing on cruisers.

Have a look down the liveaboard section & ask as many questions as you like. The Old salts on there will be more than happy to help out.
You will find a bit of light and sometimes amusing banter between the
"Raggies"( sailing yacht types ) & the "Stinkies" ( motor boat types ) but there is a wealth of experience on here.

As far as your questions, personally I would definitly go for an experience weekend from say somewhere like Dartmouth and just soak up all the atmosphere & mystique of yachting. Make sure you take your better half and be prepared for a few small discomforts. But also be prepared for the taste of an early morning breakfast sitting in a yachts cockpit, hopefully at anchor off some deserted beach, & the first time the sails fill & the engine gets turned off.

One very big suggestion, if you are serious, get yourself a basic book on boating,
The complete book of Sailing by Bob Bond (ISBN 0753703076) is a great starter book with lots of photo's and information on cruising and yachting in general.
A bit more informative and an invaliable aid, but a bit more expensive, is
"Complete Sailing Guide" by Steve Sleight. Highly recommended.

One other thing befor you go, get yourselve's good waterproof jacket's & a sensible hat, (you can always use them for other persuits) & don't worry too much about the other clothing, that can come in time. Also learn how to make a bowline & a clove hitch.

Have a great time ................. go for it!

poter

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Inspiration, a friend had the plans to build a boat when he about 12, started building it about age 16, learned everything possible about navigation, did tons of coastal and then two big shakedown cruises (says this was important to get confidence in himself and the boat) and got going from San Diego in the mid 80's finishing his circumnavigation in the 90's. When I asked about funds he was apparently lucky enough to have a career as an engineer structural(?) so found it easy to get firms sponsor him to make big bucks in quick time. Says he's glad he did it before family, mortgage, etc., Another pal has some photos at his website http://www.costnet.com/pete.htm

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
Hello again Dan. Sorry about the double entry above, slip of the mouse. Yes sailing can have wonderfull rewards but you have to cope with the disasters as well as the joys. Get your girfriend involved from the start and know that women can make just as skilled sailors and skippers as men. Unfortunately there has to be a captain and that is usually the person responsible for paying for, sorting out and repairing damage etc. Which usually points to the male. When you are in learning mode (ie the rest of your life) and it is just you and your lady to make the voyage a success always remember that everything that goes wrong is the skippers fault. The crew can do no wrong. If you ask her to do something she can't do, through lack of skill or strength it's your fault for allowing that situation to develope. Generally it is best to have her steer the boat while you do the difficult stuff.
A classic scenario is new skipper owner approaches a jetty or mooring too fast . Brave lady on the fordeck is asked to grab the mooring and hang on or fend off when she has no chance of succeeding. The skipper is frightened and knows he is in trouble yells at lady hoping she can save the situation. She feels bad (hates sailing) because she has failed to acheive a miracle. Men tend to yell and blame when they are frightened or have stuffed up and usually the lady gets upset' beware. It will take a great deal of sensitivity and care from the begining by you for her to really love sailing. I hope you can give sailing a go to see if it is your thing, it may provide a lot of pleasure together even if you don't travel far.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spyro

Visit site
Try it first

Without any experience how do you know both of you will actually enjoy the saling/motoring part of seeing the world it may well be that after two days at sea you can't stand the sight of each other. If you are serious about it try a couple of trips as paying crew with someone such as www.challengebusiness.com/ if you enjoy it then buy a boat if you enjoy that then start thinking about saling around the world I'm sure many mariages/relationships have been ruined by one persons dream,

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
Assuming you get to the stage of actually liking to sail, can I now suggest that you consider what the boat's made out of. This is as important as the size of the vessel.

I heard that a couple of years ago [one of the Whitbread commentators was spouting, I think] 50% of the yachts going around Cape Horn were 35-40ft, sailed by couples and made out of steel.

This is a considerably higher proportion of steel boats than in the general population of yachts.

Why?
The consensus seems to be
1) Damage tolerance. They bend rather than break.
2) Cost. Steel boats have a comparitively low second hand value.
3) Strength & ease of repairs with equipment you can carry.
4) Insurance. With the lower cost & higher damage tolerance & strength many don't feel the need for insurance, which for a round the world trip can be prohibitive.

The above are all important considerations, but should be taken into account only after you've really decided on going on the water in a sailing yacht.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Seafort

Visit site
Re: Try it first

Definitely try it first.

I found that my girlfriend loves to motor but hates sailing if it means the yacht has any degree of heel (doesn't mind the deck moving but hates it being tilted for any length of time).

We went the way of dinghy course, for wind awareness and a "Villa/Flotilla" holiday with Nielson in the Ionian. The dinghy course was a weekend and the holiday was 4 days sailing instruction, staying in an hotel overnight, with 3 free days and 1 week on flotilla. It was all great fun and we met some great people, similar interests?

Most of the people on the keelboat course in Greece were first timers and after 4 days were deemed competant enough to take a 31 foot yacht out on flotilla with just the 2 of them (This was in early May, the first week of thier season). The flotilla was not rigid and you went where you wanted during the day, all that was required was to be at the target port by 18:00, we allways were but was usually the last in (Better sailing in the late afternoon winds).

It's a great way of life and there is something in the realms of boating to suit everyone (Nearly).

Bearing in mind your budget there are many options open to you, experience IS the key however so get out there sailing or motoring but get out there (Learn the rules first though), meet people, join a club, most of all enjoy being on the water.

Dave.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kazbaz2

Visit site
this is what i like about mby! i like you wrote in and joined some time ago not knowing anything but was soon put at ease and advised by knowledgeable members i cant put it around enough to others , good bunch of people , listen and learn

<hr width=100% size=1>