Notices to Mariners - Week 07

tillergirl

Visit site
UKHO Permanent/Temporary/Preliminary
1. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depth. -
One reduction of depth in the Mouse Channel east of the SW Barrow cardinal buoy. Unlikely to hinder leisure craft. The Image also includes the detail of NtM 335 regarding the new ‘obstn’ west of the ‘Alice’ Danger mark.
2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depth. - Significant reduction of depth right by the jetty off the Thames Refinery on the North Woodwich bank of the River Thames. Not likely to hinder leisure craft there!
3. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. - A significant reduction of depth close by the north end of the pontoon off Cliffe Fort, River Thames, Lower Hope Reach . Unlikely to hinder leisure craft.
Local
1. RIVER THAMES -
LOWER HOPE REACH TO SEA REACH - SCIENTIFIC SAMPLING OPERATIONS - on or about 6th February 2024, contractors instructed by the Environment Agency will undertake works to obtain samples of material from the bed of the Thames in 5 separate locations. These works will be carried out by vessel THAMES GUARDIAN, a 14.5m LOA workboat which will display, or be marked with, the word ‘SURVEY’ while working in the Thames. The works are expected to be complete no later than 2 weeks after commencement. The locations of the sampling operations are as follows:
1 51° 27.83’ N 000° 26.90’ E
2 51° 29.71’ N 000° 27.90’ E
3 51° 30.17’ N 000° 36.49’ E
4 51° 29.83’ N 000° 43.45’ E
5 51° 28.70’ N 000° 52.88’ E Easier to see the image in the local list at: Notices to Mariners.
The samples will be recovered by grabbing equipment, and THAMES GUARDIAN is expected to remain no more than 20 minutes in each location for a sampling session. THAMES GUARDIAN is required to not impede any Reporting Vessel in any Fairway and/or the Authorised Channel during these works. During these works, any requirement to proceed with caution or at slow speed will be made in accordance with the procedure set out in the Port of London Authority’s Port Information Guide, under ‘London VTS’, ‘Section 4’. International Code Flags ROMEO YANKEE, illustrated below, will be displayed whenever a requirement to proceed with caution or at slow speed is in force. The display of these signal flags will be in addition to any signals, lights or shapes specified by the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at sea and local regulations. London VTS will broadcast further information, as required, on VHF Channels 68 & 69.
2. RIVER THAMES - SEA REACH - DREDGING OPERATIONS - on or around 8th February 2024, the vessel ‘JENNY D’ will commence dredging operations at Calor Gas Jetty, Sea Reach. Operations will include Water Injection and Plough dredging on the ebb tide only. The vessel is required to display lights and signals as per the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea and maintain a listening watch on VHF channel 68. Further details will be broadcast as needed by London VTS on VHF Channel 68.
3. RIVER THAMES - GREENWICH REACH - TEMPORARY RIVER CLOSURE - on SATURDAY 10th FEBRUARY 2024, a private fireworks display for the Chinese New Year, will be held opposite the Royal Naval College, Greenwich Reach. The fireworks are due to begin at or around 22:15 and will last for approximately 7 minutes. An EXCLUSION AREA will be established at 22:10, to the extent seen below. The fireworks will be fired from vessel Scheldemond, which will manoeuvre into a position approximately 100 to 150 meters from the south bank, in front of the Royal Naval College, for the duration of the display. The exclusion zone will be removed at 22:25, after the completion of the fireworks.
4. The Swale – Ferry Reach - Sheppey Crossing - Fender Repair Works - work to repair damaged wooden fenders on the Sheppey Crossing bridge pillar is due to take place Thursday 8th & Friday 9th February 2024. The work will take place between Pier 9 & Pier 10 [main shipping channel, Isle of Sheppey side] and will be carried out from the vessel “Liftmoor”. Liftmoor will maintain a listening watch on VHF Channel 74 at all times and be in contact with the Kingsferry Bridge.
Work will cease for commercial vessel transits and “Liftmoor” will move to a safe position out of the main navigable channel. All vessels passing through the Sheppey Crossing are still requested to navigate with caution and maintain a listening watch on VHF channel 74. Admiralty Chart 2572 Refers. Further information can be obtained from Medway VTS on VHF Channel 74 (Callsign “Medway VTS”) or telephone 0151 949 6148 or 0151 949 6650. (Recorded Lines)
5. Ipswich - New Cut Tidal Barrier Closures - The Environment Agency’s upcoming maintenance of the Ipswich Tidal Barrier is scheduled for Tuesday 13th, Wednesday 14th and Thursday 15th of February 2024. The Tidal Barrier gate will be fully raised to coincide with periods of low water/slack water between the hours of:
07:30 and 14:00 on Tuesday 13th February
08:00 and 14:00 on Wednesday 14th February
08:30 and 14:00 on Thursday 15th February
The navigable channel in the New Cut through the Tidal Barrier will be closed during these periods. The timings listed are approximate, the barrier will be removed expeditiously once routine maintenance and inspections are completed.
6. London Array Offshore Wind Farm - Jack Up Operations - the Jack-up Vessel Wind Pioneer provided by Ziton , supported by the Tug Dian Kingdom is estimated to be on site from 03/02/2024, the vessel will remain under Tow outside the Wind Farm waiting suitable Tidal conditions until around the 7th February, they will then enter site to carry out Wind Turbine major component exchanges at C18. The estimated period of work is estimated to be 10 days, weather dependant. Jack-up Vessel: Wind Pioneer Jack-Up Vessel Wind Pioneer has a length of 57m, breadth of 28m with a draft of 5.2m Equipment will be periodically deployed and suspended from the vessel crane during jack up operations.
Support Tug: Dian Kingdom Tug Dian Kingdom has a length of 30.66m with a beam of 10.5m and will be engaged in towing the Jack-up Wind Server to site, then remain on standby at anchor outside London Array offshore Wind farm.
Planned Locations and Restricted Access Zones - location to be attended: C18 turbine at : 51° 37.369'N 01° 25.191'E. Turbine C18 is close to but no actually lining Foulger's Gat so will the Wind Server is in position foulger's should be open. Always call up a work vessel before entering the Farm. AIS shows the Wind Server is currently on site.

That's it.

PeterWright

Visit site
I'm still more occupied with alpine snow reports than your chart changes at this time of year, but can't help checking what's happening.

Thanks for all the hard, precise work you put into this - it's a massive benefit to East Coast sailors.

Peter.

tillergirl

Visit site
Kind of you, Peter. As long I am able to 'maintain' the book I will be going through the NtMs. Obviously the majority aren't relevant but to go through a few month's notices would become a chore. But regular checking does give some clues for potential trends: such as 5 years ago I would have said the most moved buoy was the Black Deep PHB to respond to the NE movement of the Long Sand Head. But since the Black Deep has been dredged whilst the movement still continues it doesn't seem as quick. Is that associated or a coincidence? Who knows. Of course the offshore banks off Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth are constantly on the move.

Local notices, albeit short term generally can involve us to a greater extent and local authorities have upped their game in recent years. Much better information and in many cases are illustrated which certainly saves me time. Er, one new trend: Wells hasn't dredged since 2022!

Alpine snow? Utter madness - slippery, cold, wet, unforgiving, little steering, little brakes. I shudder......

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated, but not necessary.

I enjoy your observations from dealing with these notices over time, such as the migration of Long Sand Head. I really must visit Wells before it silrs up completely!

While skiing is slippery, once you have learned a bit there are very effective brakes and that bit of constantly judging where the edge of control lies makes it a bit like dinghy sailing. I have East Anglia to thank for my love of both skiing and sailing. It was George Notcutt, long time head of games at Ipswich School who first introduced me to skiing and accidentally in the process taught me of the wonderful hospitality offered by the Tyroleans. Hence the current week in Tyrol passing some of this on to grandsons, but they all, from 7 to 25 years of age, ski better than me these days. I will keep it up as long as I feel safe doing so, much like sailing and, in both cases, I'm thankful for each year I can still manage. I know the capabilkty won't last forever.

All the best,

Peter.