Norwegian frigate - whoops!

A1Sailor

Visit site
Re: Whoops!

Yup. HMS Nottingham came off second best when she encountered Australia in 2002...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2349449.stm

Here she is on her journey home:
89935.jpg

Seajet

Visit site
Re: Whoops!

Presumably if this Norwegian accident hadn't happened in a fjord the frigate would have sunk - probably rather an expensive rebuild coming up though. :ambivalence:

awol

Visit site
Norwegian Colregs

It's not only the US 7th Fleet that has problems with their fast, maneuverable, heavily manned, highly instrumented warships bumping into slow, heavy merchant ships. The Norwegians have been at it as well.
_104243581_45054804064_a795b8e29d_o.jpg

I love the quote in a BBC article - " because the tanker was "slow, heavy and much larger", it was the warship's responsibility to move around it."

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Re: Norwegian Colregs

I love the quote in a BBC article - " because the tanker was "slow, heavy and much larger", it was the warship's responsibility to move around it."

A clumsy way to say "restricted in its ability to manoeuvre", but the principle's OK, isn't it?

pagoda

Visit site

Is that why it’s aground? :)

He was taking on water and ran her aground to avoid sinking...

Norwegians aren't wonderful on Colregs as far as I have observed . Commercial OK, the rest ... not really...

knuterikt

Visit site

This happened in a VTS sone close to an oil terminal.
The frigate 17 knots, tanker 6 knots on close to head on course.
Starboard anchor on the tanker ripped open the hull outside the engine room on starboard side of the frigate.
Observers claim the frigate was dark.
The tanker saw the frigate 3 minutes before impact and the pilot tried to contact the oncoming vessel.
One minute before impact they had radio contact but the frigate could or would not change course...
Happened around the time watch crew on the bridge was changed on the frigate..

Frank Holden

Visit site

Starboard anchor on the tanker ripped open the hull outside the engine room on starboard side of the frigate.
The tanker saw the frigate 3 minutes before impact and the pilot tried to contact the oncoming vessel.
One minute before impact they had radio contact but the frigate could or would not change course...

Ah... the good old 'change of watch in a difficult situation' scenario.... shades of HMS Brazen....

prv

Visit site

A clumsy way to say "restricted in its ability to manoeuvre", but the principle's OK, isn't it?

I'm wary of unleashing a wave of Colreg pedantry, but the word is in the thread title so it's probably inevitable :)

You can only be RAM due to "the nature of [your] work". The examples in the regs aren't exhaustive, but except perhaps for transferring a pilot, it's hard to see how anything a cargo ship making way might be doing would qualify.

Pete

PilotWolf

Visit site

I'm wary of unleashing a wave of Colreg pedantry, but the word is in the thread title so it's probably inevitable :)

You can only be RAM due to "the nature of [your] work". The examples in the regs aren't exhaustive, but except perhaps for transferring a pilot, it's hard to see how anything a cargo ship making way might be doing would qualify.

Pete

Mechanical issues? But that said I don't remember a VTS system that doesnt check that the ship is serviceable with regards to steering, engine controls functional and masters on the bridge and it's being hand steered, so probably unlikely.

W.

alant

Visit site

Sounds a bit like the USS Enterprise & the Eddystone lighthouse joke ("your call";)).