Norman Cruisers (Dreemer)

byron

RIP
Visit site
Normans were built by Norman Cruisers Ltd. they were located at SHAW which is Near Oldham in Lancs. (Aren't Lancashire folk the same as Yorkshire folk but with the brain extracted)
The boat is actually 20' 3" long x 6' 10" wide and draws 1.5'
If she is an outboard model the maximum you can use is an 80hp (longshaft) She will fly with that on, on rivers a 20-30hp is more than ample. The Normans were built to a very high standard.
Oh yes! There's sod all wrong with a Bayliner, I would sooner have one than a Birchwood.

©2001
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I've recently sold a Norman 32 of mid 1970's vintage and can vouch for the build standard. Very substantial hull layup and quite a heavy boat by latterday standards. Double skin cabin roof was excelent. Cant believe how basic the quality of my 'new' Princess 32 is in some areas by comparison.

(PS- Correction Byron - Lancs folk had brain fitted as standard. It was a factory fitted (definitely not DIY) option for the Yorks lot as they were known to be keen on saving a bob and might not want something that wouldnt get used much.)

boatone@boatsonthethames.co.uk

G

Thanks for the info. Mine's a 20' (3"!) 'Conquest' with fore and aft cabins (4 berth) and is cleaning up a treat. I don't know much about boat build quality but considering she is 23 years old she seems to be holding together very well. She's got a cronky old Suzuki 25hp outboard and seems to fly along with that. It's always a bit nerve racking when you buy something that you know nothing about so I appreciate your kind words.

BTW I'm a softy southerner through-and-through but worked in N. Yorks most of last year. They certainly know how to brew beer and cook fish and chips so you can't knock them too much.

G

She's currently moored in Bristol docks (quite an extensive waterway in the heart of the city) whish connects to the non-tidal river Avon. It's possible to cruise beyond Bath, onto the Kennet & Avon and on to Newbury. The outboard is thirsty and river speed restrictions means that Bath and back is a full day trip. Unfortunately the tidal Avon is VERY tidal (about a 20' average tide) and it only leads into the very turbulent Bristol channel - not an ideal part of the coast. A previous survey suggested that the Norman hull isn't really up to taking a sea pounding yet a previous owner eckons he took her to the Channel Island from the south coast twice. Wouldn't fancy it myself.

G

Cool. Nice to get some idea where she was born.

I only wondered if they were still in business - it would be nice to be able to get a few spares (name plates, grab rails, window seals, window latches etc.) but I guess I'll trawl around the boat jumbles.

Thanks for the offer though.

Are there such things as boat scrap yards?

ari

Visit site
Good luck with the Normon mate, I'm certain you'll have a lot of fun.

I've had various stuff upto a Fairline 33 Targa with twin diesels and all the bells and whistles, and some of the most fun I've had afloat was with an Avon 2.80 RIB with a 8hp outboard. Boat went on the roof of the car, outboard in the boot and we'ed take it down to the river and go exploring, great fun and a lot less worries!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and learn a lot in the process.

Good luck!

Ari.

G

Re: Birchwood

Don't you start me again. There's nothing wrong with Birchwood and they are better screwed together than most. The constructional standards are very similar to other contempory mainstream builders - fairline, princess, etc - but I will concede that the finishes are not so glossy. On the other hand the woodwork on my Birchwood looked just as good 12 yrs old as when she came out the factory - can't say that about these high gloss finishes on other boats.

So there! Any more from you and I'll meet you round the back of the school at 4.00!

As far as Bayliners are concerned, they are far from the worst of American boats and I have not seen too much to complain about albeit starting from a fairly basic but glitzy base. Carvers on the other hand are IMHO pretty poor. Let me rephrase that - crap! What's more, I don't like them!

Nick

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Carvers

Do I take it from your post that you didn't take up my earlier suggestion that you replace Amoureuse with a beautiful, sexy Carver?
What are you looking at now - what happened to the motorsailer?

G

Re: motorsailers

Its a long story which involved money being late for old boat, mother going into nursing home, sale of mothers house falling through, builder of our new house going into receivership.

Anyone lend me a loaded revolver and the use of an empty room?

Its mostly all sorted now but too late for the nice little motor sailer. I will just let things go and keep my eye out for the next bargain.

Nick

G

Boat Jumble at Hooton Park, Near Ellesmere Port on Sunday 21 Oct. Get off M53 at sign which says "Vauxhall only"

RJMW