Nimbus 3003

blush2

Visit site
Went to have a look at a 1989 Nimbus 3003 at the weekend. Are there any particular things we should look out for? I've done a general search on the forum already but it's difficult to collate all the individual comments.

I noted the comments about general condition and it is quite good, although there are a couple of obvious leaks, one from the grab rail fixings by the "sunroof" which has resulted in a pond above the headlining. The lining will need replacing - is it glued on? The hatch over the forward cabin is also leaking, I think between the perspex and the frame, it looks like it has been sealed in the past and is coming away again. This has damaged some of the woodwork so that would need revarnishing. Some of the upholstery will need replacing but most is OK.

Is it possible to fit davits suitable for a 2.9m rib?

Any info that would help us decide whether to buy it would be welcome. We are waiting for answers about specific questions from the broker.

Many thanks

[165042]

Visit site
These are old boats and can hide a lots of faults. You really have to be someone 'hands on' to own a boat of this age or have enough money to fix issues that will likely arise on a regular basis.

I wouldn't pay more than £30k for one myself unless it's had some kind of refit.

Tender davits shouldn't be a problem:

Details › ADAC Skipper-Portal

blush2

Visit site
Between us we are pretty practical, twenty odd years ago we converted a racing sailing boat for fast cruising - all creature comforts, panelling and headlining, recovering cushions etc. Rewiring, plumbing and eventually replacing the engine.

So we have a fair idea of what to look for and the ability to fix if needed.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
We had one twenty-five years ago, did a big refit it on it. We thought it a really good dependable no nonsense boat. Well built, easy of access to most places to work on it (though the TAMD41B was tight access) and generally easily repairable/upgradeable. I'd buy another one if I were in the market for a motor boat of that size.

The dinghy on the back of the boat was way too large, we soon downsized to something lighter and more manageable.
898_0054.jpg

Last edited:

blush2

Visit site
We had one twenty-five years ago, did a big refit it on it. We thought it a really good dependable no nonsense boat. Well built, easy of access to most places to work on it (though the TAMD41B was tight access) and generally easily repairable/upgradeable. I'd buy another one if I were in the market for a motor boat of that size.

The dinghy on the back of the boat was way too large, we soon downsized to something lighter and more manageable.
Our dinghy is about the same size with an aluminium hull which makes it lighter. We need something that sort of size on the Dart to get to the mooring but we want to take it with us because previously we used to leave it on the mooring and we think that a seal got in it at least once - very messy.

Other threads that may be of interest