Newbie - sterndrives or amateur root canal treatment?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
We’ve been searching for the right boat and we’re down to three. One has Volvo sterndrives with duoprops.

I’m a shaft-drive kind of guy but the boat is gorgeous and has a complete annual maintenance schedule. The thing is, I’ve heard sterndrives can be so problematic that I’m wondering if ownership is like opting for root canal treatment by an amateur with no pain relief.

We’re boating veterans but absolute newbie’s to motorboats so don’t assume we know anything! And thank you, best forum there is.

Momac

Visit site
I've had sterndrives since 2008. The first boat single engined and owned 6 years and I added 600 engine hours. The present boat since 2014 and I have added almost 1000 engine hours. The present boat is now 21 years old.
Certainly sterndrives need to be serviced. They need to have their oil changed , rubber bellows changed and anodes replaced.
For me , so far, the sterndrives have not thrown up any expensive surprises.

I have met folks with shaft drive boats that have had drive plate and gearbox issues. One boat had the bellhousing break and it almost sank. There is no drive system that is immune from risk of faults.

But if you have a fear of sterndrives as some other people on this forum certainly do I suggest you look elsewhere for a boat with shaft drives.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
No question shafts are simpler. However after owning stern drive boats for 45 years I would say choose the boat you like and go with whatever it has. As @Momac says regular servicing is important and you will have the occasional water ingress problem which means a seal change but not overly expensive.
In my view don’t compromise on the boat you want because of the drive.

Greg2

Visit site
We have had both sterndrives and shaft drive boats, three of each in fact, and no question that things rarely go wrong with shafts and maintenance is is negligible in comparison with outdrives, which require regular maintenance and even when you keep up with it they can throw in an oddball, the most common being a bit of water ingress and milky oil requiring a seal change.

But the thing is that if you understand that they need to be maintained and might give you the odd problem (which can often be resolved easily but might cost a few quid) they are not, IMHO, a reason not to buy the boat you really like because having the boat you want is important. Essential in fact! 😁

It is also relevant to say that outdrives do provide some benefits over shafts such as the ability to lift them so you can dry out or get access to a fouled prop and they enable the engines to be at the back of the boat, which can bring benefits with accommodation. Also, if it is a sports cruiser of a certain size you want then outdrives are the only option.

Some will say that outdrives are the work of the devil, and occasionally they can be, but most of the time they aren’t and as DavidJ says, don’t compromise on the boat you really want just because it has outdrives. That said, do get them looked at by a qualified engineer as part of your pre-purchase survey and look for a good maintenance history.

Hot Property

Visit site
Outboards offer an alternative to both stern and shaft drives.

It just depends on how many hours you run per season and where you cruise.

40ft boats with twin outboards are now a regular sight at Sibs.

Yes, petrol costs more and isn't always available but the easy maintenance and modern efficiency of them shouldn't be overlooked.....

oldgit

Visit site
Dont shoot the messeger Dept.
Every broker knows why a shaft drive boat will always command a better price and sell faster than the same boat with outdrives. :)

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I\m a sailboat guy who has had a speedboat at back of house for fishing and general run around. I've often considered getting a Motor Boat with a reasonable cabin and cockpit ...
Finally I decided to look at a few boats a guy had in a town about 2hrs drive from me ...

I fancied the 23ft boat with the shaft drive .... but when I looked at it .. good boat ... and compared to the 24ft Outdrive or Z drive as our 'cousins' call them ... I went for the outdrive ... the cabin extended under the cockpit full width without engine box ... it ran quieter ... shoal draft if needed etc.

I bought and soon after - had local marine guy replace all bellows etc on the drive ....

Any regrets ?? Absolutely none ... I accept that I may have to dig a little deeper in pocket for maintenance etc - but that extra space is well worth it.

If I was looking again ... I think it would be outboard - so I have similar shoal draft and internal volume advantage ... but I noted that purchase price reflected the advantage of Outboard ..

jrudge

Visit site
I have had them on 2 past boats.

I lost a duo prop after hitting something. Insurance paid.

After I sold a targa 40 2 weeks later the drive went bang. No idea what was done to it or not. I just used to to the bellows / anodes and oil.

I would not be concerned.

I would worry about IPs only as I am a member of a Facebook group that seems to have regulars issues and the only people who can fix them is the main dealer with the computer.

Go for it.

ari

Visit site
You get a lot of bar room experts dripping on about how rubbish sterndrives are, normally people who've never had them.

Yes, more maintenance needed but as long as it's done properly, they're generally pretty good.

Plus, more efficient than shafts, faster, lower fuel consumption, better packaging and normally quieter. As ever, it's a compromise. Most of the boats I've owned have had them, there's a reason I'm happy to continue to do so.

Grubble

Visit site
If I was looking again ... I think it would be outboard - so I have similar shoal draft and internal volume advantage ... but I noted that purchase price reflected the advantage of Outboard ..
Its not simply a question of desirability making outboards more expensive than their sterndrive alternatives, its the actual cost of outboard versus inboard motors. Look how much you can buy a brand new block for your 4, 6 or 8 cylinder inboard motor and compare that to the cost of the equivalent outboard.

As ever though the reality is you have to buy the boat which is actually on the market and you can afford. The ideal boat might exist, but whether it is for sale is a different question.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Buy the boat you want and maintain it properly.
Google John Boyle MB&Y……he goes a lot further afield than most on here using outdrives boats.

simonfraser

Visit site
lot of the outdrives / sterndrives are old, with more probs, unless money spent on them
Volvo ones tough to remove / service, mercury ones a bit better as far as i can see
that in itself may well put you off the boat long term
outboards all the way unless you travel long ways

ari

Visit site
The OP doesn't say what type, or even size, of boat he's looking for. But given it is twin engines and there are shaft drive and stern drive alternatives, it's probably safe to guess at 35ft - 45ft.

Would those advocating outboard engines really want a circa 40ft outboard boat in the UK?

Grubble

Visit site
lot of the outdrives / sterndrives are old, with more probs, unless money spent on them
Volvo ones tough to remove / service, mercury ones a bit better as far as i can see
that in itself may well put you off the boat long term
outboards all the way unless you travel long ways
I'm not sure I'd want an old poorly maintained outboard that needs money spending on it, rather than an old poorly maintained outdrive that needs money spending on it. I think I would go for the well maintained boat that I actually want, rather than hold out for the ideal boat that doesn't exist.

Refueler

Visit site
Its not simply a question of desirability making outboards more expensive than their sterndrive alternatives, its the actual cost of outboard versus inboard motors. Look how much you can buy a brand new block for your 4, 6 or 8 cylinder inboard motor and compare that to the cost of the equivalent outboard.

As ever though the reality is you have to buy the boat which is actually on the market and you can afford. The ideal boat might exist, but whether it is for sale is a different question.

I can buy a replacement AQ170 for my MoBo, 2nd hand only ... but look at running costs .... that 6cyl lump drinks petrol ... actually not as bad as I expected - but still not exactly what I term economic ...

Fire99

Visit site
I think the issue is simpler and more complicated. I've had the 'benefit' (possibly) of owning Outboard, Sterndrive and Shaft drive and they all have their ups and downs. The thing for sterndrives is that they are very handy for small / medium sized motor cruisers when it comes to packaging. Engines at the stern and less cabin space loss. And without being too sweeping, they tend to be sportier performers with lower fuel use when upping the pace.

But I think a lot of people try to treat sterndrives like shaft drives, forgetting the maintenance. Oil changes, bellows and periodic internal inspection of bearings etc. (Obviously they are sending drive down a number of connected directions). But they're not rocket science. If I was going for another small / medium sized 'sporty' motor cruiser I'd be happy with sterndrives if they'd clearly been well maintaned.

On a side note I had an outboard (40hp) with a very good reputation, rebuilt and then it blew up again. Even with a power-tilt 40hp, it was a bit of an earache putting on, taking off, repairing and replacing.

My current Caterpillar shaft drives are ok, other than everything being the size of the moon and Caterpillar (in the UK) having parts prices that are slightly more expensive than liquid diamond!