New watertank

sanna

Visit site
We have a 32 feet long keeled grp sailboat (Laurin Koster 32). We need to replace our flexible water tank of about 100 l. We wonder: should we replace it with a stainless tank (very expensive in Norway), a solid plastic tank or should we try to build one overselves. (We have problems finding the right solid plastic tank for our boat). If we should bulild one ourselves, how should we do this and what is a suitable material (grp or epoxy+). The long keel provides plenty of room below.
We would be thankful for any advice.

"Sanna"
of Oslo

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Not sure if Tek-tanks operate in Oslo area; they do in various European countries. They will make you a very durable solid tank to your dimensions, at a not too crippling cost. Look <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.2020mall.net/TekTanks/Tek_Tanks_Catalogue_Tanks_18.html>here</A> for comprehensive info on many aspects of the product.

<hr width=100% size=1>

roni

Visit site
Look at WEST MARINE catalog and you find many shape of tanks in good price. or e mail WEST MARINE.com. good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Tek Tanks is my recommendation as well. I had a new fuel tank from them last year, made a replica out of 4mm mdf to ensure fit was correct, and they copied it exactly in plastic. a perfect fit.

I will be going back to them in the next couple of years for a custom shaped holding tank.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Avocet

Visit site
Tek Tanks made me an odd-shaped water tank in plastic from my drawings a few years ago. It fitted perfectly and I've had no trouble with it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
May sound stupid, but why don't you by a new flexible tank and secure it in the bilges?
Have you had bad experience with yours?

I'm very much interested, as I wish to line exisiting tanks on my yacht with flexible tanks.

Cheers, Alexis

<hr width=100% size=1>

sanna

Visit site
Thats true. I have had two different types of flexible wanter tanks (Vetus and Plastimo) in the bilges of about 100 l each. However, it is no fun to drink bilge water.
If I should replace the flexible tank with a new one, I would have installed it well above the bilge water.

best regards,

"Sanna"

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
Sorry, don't understand why you had to drink bilge water. Could bilgewater infiltrate the flex tanks ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
If you are building yourself, I would consider mild steel. There is a simple method described in Moitessier's "Sailing to the reefs". Fairly elementary welding skills required, or you should have no difficulty finding a welder to finish off the job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
What\'s the problem?

I've had absolutely no trouble with my two, now 17 years old. A new coat of paint every 3 years or so is all they need. Water-tank paint isn't what you'd call expensive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sanna

Visit site
We got holes in the flexible tanks and the water in the tanks then mixed with bilge water. I do not know the reason for this but it could be that the bilge is narrow so that the preasure will be high withinin the tank when you fill it with water.

"Sanna"

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
A big problem with flexible tanks occurs when the boat is kept on a swinging mooring, or elsewhere where it is exposed to swell. Any folds in the material of the tanks tend to roll to and fro, delaminating the material. Often seems to be worse when the tanks are full, so a tall, narrow tank might well see more of this type of action.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
Don't you think that, as suggested by another forumist, lining the bilges with closed cell foam would eliminate the chafe problem ?

Alexis

<hr width=100% size=1>

sanna

Visit site
I'am no expert on this so perhaps Vetus can help you further.

If I had to install a new flexible tank, I would have put i in a room with the same dimensions as the tank itself (filled with water) or slightly smaller. I would have placed the water inlet on top of the tank. Our bilge is to narrow (and deep) to do this.

best regards.

"Sanna"

<hr width=100% size=1>