New VHF: AIS or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date

Refueler

Visit site
Easy test, select an AIS target on the Onwa and initiate a DSC VHF call. Bet you 50p it won't work.

I know it wont ... the two are not connected anyway - I have no need to. The VHF has its own GPS. I have never except on ships as Superintendent used DSC calling anyway ... for me - I have very little use for it.

May I suggest we leave this as I have little interest in it.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I know it wont ... the two are not connected anyway - I have no need to. The VHF has its own GPS. I have never except on ships as Superintendent used DSC calling anyway ... for me - I have very little use for it.

May I suggest we leave this as I have little interest in it.

If you know it won't why are you arguing that you need to test it for yourself ?

If you have no interest, why join in the conversation ?

Very strange.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
If you know it won't why are you arguing that you need to test it for yourself ?

If you have no interest, when join in the conversation ?

Very strange.

Why do you read my posts and then make 2+2 = 5 ??

I NEVER said I would test this specific matter ... my comment about testing was a general one ... second that I had rec;'d info that it was possible to do it - same as another who posted on this thread. Whether true or not ? It did not agree with your statement. Maybe they are wrong ...

Go back and read again ... save me cut and pasting for you ...

PaulRainbow

Visit site
But back to the subject ... I'm wary of accepting its not possible as I have similar info to another guy with an Onwa ... so that is why I reserve judgement. Wouldn't you till seeing whether it works or not ?
I NEVER said I would test this specific matter ... my comment about testing was a general one ... second that I had rec;'d info that it was possible to do it - same as another who posted on this thread. Whether true or not ? It did not agree with your statement. Maybe they are wrong ...

Can you make your mind up ? Does it need testing or not ? Do you know it won't work (as you state in the second quote above) or not ?

I'll make it real easy for you, it will not work.

harvey38

Visit site
Can you make your mind up ? Does it need testing or not ? Do you know it won't work (as you state in the second quote above) or not ?

Ahh, Refueler....Wikipedia of the forum wakes up, contradicts the majority of the posts and leaves nothing but confusion, a really helpful contributor...............

Refueler

Visit site

I said it will not work because its not connected and I'm not arsed to do it just for you. Do you really have trouble with english language ? or do you practice at it.

pvb

Visit site
I said it will not work because its not connected and I'm not arsed to do it just for you. Do you really have trouble with english language ? or do you practice at it.

I have to say it's been fairly calm over the last 9 months or so, since you last posted frequently. In the last week or two, this has changed.

And why is your website "still under construction"? It's been like that for years. Maybe there's nothing to construct?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
All the marine Electronics guys and installers I know - all advised AGAINST splitters ... they all said get a separate antenna - even if you only put it on the rail ... how right they were !
I went with a splitter and have been delighted with in. It meant a supremely easy installation as the AIS transceiver, the VHF, the splitter and the GPS antenna are all in the same locker mounted side by side with no new cables needed to be routed outside the locker.

The mast head AIS antenna gives me a range which is well beyond the horizon so I know what's heading my way before I can even see it.

For me, the splitter was the perfect solution. Obviously other options are available.

Richard

Refueler

Visit site
I have to say it's been fairly calm over the last 9 months or so, since you last posted frequently. In the last week or two, this has changed.

And why is your website "still under construction"? It's been like that for years. Maybe there's nothing to construct?

Liven it up eh ? Blimey is life that dull without me ?

Website still under construction as it really is not used for sales ... all my clients - Shipping Cos and Cargo Traders are not interested in websites. They go by results and referrals.

Having offices in Singapore .. Turkey ... China ... Japan ... Brazil ... as example as well as offices in locations that have had to be suspended due sanctions ... what use do I have to complete the website ... so YBW forum can see it finished ?

Just completed a 60,000 ton Gasoline Blending job .... have two ships with 200,000 tons of Russian Crude in China .... another Fuel Oil Ship with 30,000 tons due in Singapore shortly ... an 80,000 ton ship due end of this month in Aliaga Turkey .... why should I worry ? Oh - I haven't completed my Website .. Oh let me tell the clients ... they will be pleased to know.

:eek:

pvb

Visit site
Website still under construction as it really is not used for sales ... all my clients - Shipping Cos and Cargo Traders are not interested in websites. They go by results and referrals.

Having offices in Singapore .. Turkey ... China ... Japan ... Brazil ... as example as well as offices in locations that have had to be suspended due sanctions ... what use do I have to complete the website ... so YBW forum can see it finished ?

Why bother having a website then? As for all your offices, how many people do you actually employ?

Refueler

Visit site
Why bother having a website then? As for all your offices, how many people do you actually employ?

The Website was actually a freebie from an IT pal of mine who offered to create it .. I gave him profile and info - he drew it up. He asks me at times if I want to add to it ... but as I say - its really not needed.

Why do you want to know about employees - answer is enough and likely more than you imagine there are ? Each office is a Company in its own right created under my parent company umbrella - so what is it to do with you.

I have no interest in your business .. whatever it is.

Post edited as suggested by another ...

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I went with a splitter and have been delighted with in. It meant a supremely easy installation as the AIS transceiver, the VHF, the splitter and the GPS antenna are all in the same locker mounted side by side with no new cables needed to be routed outside the locker.

The mast head AIS antenna gives me a range which is well beyond the horizon so I know what's heading my way before I can even see it.

For me, the splitter was the perfect solution. Obviously other options are available.

Richard

There is a company called SRT Marine Products - SRT Marine Systems plc

One of their specialities is AIS. They make AIS for lots of the big name AIS "companies" as well as being the parent company of Emtrak ( a top notch company to deal with, i'm an official dealer/installer of their AIS units). It would seem that they agree with you Richard. Every single one of their B900 series AIS has built in GPS receivers and antennas and they offer models with built in antenna splitter and/or wifi. So they have made your install, above, even simpler, just one small "box" and that's all you need, connect the VHF antenna and a power supply to it and you're good to go.

All of the big name electronics companies offer black box solutions, or VHF sets with built in AIS and integrated splitters, i have (for instance) a Garmin black box VHF/AIS that has a single VHF antenna connection. Raymarine, B&G, Simrad et al will offer similar solutions.

I would suggest that any marine electrician/installer the insists on an AIS unit with a separate VHF antenna is severely out of touch. or is looking for some extra work. I currently advise my clients to fit units with built in splitters, the small price difference is more than compensated for by the labour and material savings in fitting external antennas.

Last edited:

shaunksb

Visit site
Hello,

I need a new VHF radio which must have stand alone GPS for DSC and Command Mic Option. I don't have an AIS system fitted and my plotter is too old to display AIS. I am thinking that if I buy an AIS DSC VHF then I get the benifits of AIS now and next year when I buy a new plotter, I will have AIS on the plotter as well. What do you think? Would a separate AIS system be better?

I can buy the likes of ICOM M4235GE which gives me DSC and built in GPS with no AIS, reasonable cost. More pricy by far is the ICOM M605 Euro but it comes with AIS receiver capability that I can network to a new plotter.

Plotter is likely to be Raymarine's Axiom +, as I want to integrate with my ACU400 Autohelm, that is currently stand alone.

Your advice is appreciated.

BlowingOldBoots

I managed to get an “old stock” Raymarine Ray 70 and command mic which networks to my axiom plotter as an AIS receiver.

No aerial splitters required.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I managed to get an “old stock” Raymarine Ray 70 and command mic which networks to my axiom plotter as an AIS receiver.

No aerial splitters required.

Surely unless you already have two VHF antennas fitted to your boat, you either have to fit a second antenna or fit a splitter or fit a unit with an integrated splitter ..... or is that what you are saying?

Richard