New to sailing...really new

Scotsguy

Visit site
Hi everyone,can someone tell me best group to join?
I am uk based but moving to Spain in December/January.
Then the fun begins. I am burying a motor cruiser, never sailed in my life but will be taking RYA Level 2, and VHS Radio course. I am told this licence will be sufficient for me to purchase and use a powered craft up to 10m and sail up to 2 miles from shore.
Exited an sh***ng myself.

kashurst

Visit site
I think you are in the right place, lots of motor boaters on here and lots of people here sailed in/around Spain.
When you do the RYA Level 2 course pay the extra for the ICC certificate - you will need it in Spain/med.
Will you be living in Spain permanently or just going there for long stays? This will affect how/where you register your boat and who will insure it. (however Brexit may cock this all up anyway :-( ).

Scotsguy

Visit site
Thanks k,
Been onto RYA and the ICC certification comes with coarse I am going to do. I will be moving to Spain on a permanent basis, although I will deal with all that stuff within the 6 months. As for registering the boat, I assume the seller or broker would do that. What I intend is to live on the boat from mid February, that will give me a chance to become somewhat confident in the basics. Hopefully I will have my listen license endorsed to commercial at which time I will do some bay time chartering. Nothing to ambitious, just something to do.

Coustea1

Visit site
I keep my boat in the south of Spain. ICC has already been mentioned. Bear in mind that if you are/become a Spanish tax resident and/or register the boat in Spain, you’ll pay a 12.5% immatriculation tax on boats above 8 meters.

Scotsguy

Visit site
Thanks C.
Looked into that and think your spot on, so you've thrown a spanner in the works for my plan. That said, i think i have sorted it out.
Initially i was looking at the Chaparral 250 Signature, it ticked all the boxes, big guy, big boat. (lol)..your reply made rethink the whole thing, timmatriculation tax, fk that. So here’s the plan now.
Looking at Crowline 250CR. Stern seating and options for sun or fun, bow with custom cushions, need electric windlass and there will be a 1 berth solution for me when i want. Also
need to source a 4 person tender for the beach when i do the business end, possibly catch the tail end of next year. Anyway ...any advice would be appreciated.
As a side issue, need to get a rental property until i buy ,need to get a vehicle on the road......and the list goes on
Anyway
Cnt wait, mmmm :-(...fk that...:))

Coustea1

Visit site
The Chaparral 250 will not trigger the immatriculation tax....
On that size of boat you will struggle to fit a tender...unless you deflate it after every use. I guess you could put it on the bow if you're really motivated, but then think about outboard and petrol for the tender.....you have only 25ft of space to play with.

kashurst

Visit site
There are other solutions to avoid matriculation taxes and Spanish hassle. A lot of UK people who live in Spain full time, register their boats as Dutch. Perfectly legal, easy to do on line or a local Spanish broker will sort it for you. Still need the ICC etc qualifications though. If you buy a boat keep it in a marina, don't fall for the "renting a mooring buoy" trick unless you are super sure.

Scotsguy

Visit site
Thanks k. appreciated.
Another question. I have kinda whittled it down to 6 boats. When I have decided on the make and model, and I know who’s selling, seen the boat etc. Is it worth involving a broker at all, or, as i am new, is best to get a broker at the start and tell him/her my requirements. And what’s with the “buoy trick” I thought they were free.
Thanks

kashurst

Visit site
you don't "need" a broker, however as a novice boat buyer, especially in a foreign country a good broker will help you verify any boat's paperwork and help get you a mooring, insurance, suitable registration. They also know local surveyors etc to get it all checked out.
In Spain as a buyer you only pay any broker for any extra services he has done on your behalf (like sorting registration). A good broker will take the view you will be a future seller and want him to sell you boat, so will likely be happy to help you get properly sorted.
mooring buoys at some anchorages are free for the day or a few hours. Some people keep their boats on a buoy all year in very sheltered waters. These are not free, but they are a lot cheaper than a marina. People have been scammed by being sold a mooring buoy, putting their boat on it, leaving it for a few weeks/months. On their return, no boat, no buoy!
Re choosing/finding a boat, better to keep an open mind rather than settling on a specific make and model - better to buy something that suits your overall needs in really good condition, than fall in love with a particular model.

Last edited:

Scotsguy

Visit site
Thanks K,
All good information, will take that onboard when I move an get a broker from the get-go. Can rent a place to stay for three months at crazy low prices , takes the pressure of a wee bit. Only concern is me.
I am now obsessed with looking at boats for sale, and what i started out with is now officialy f**ked. If i walked around a boat place I would be like a kid in a sweetie shop...but looking forward to it.
Thanks again.

Scotsguy

Visit site
Sorry for lat reply, Thinking Murcia and purely due to avvaiabty of boats and marina. I’ll take wee hit year one to till I get my foot in the door, get me proficient and happy taking paying customers, and my boat and me fully endorsed for commercial use. I can’t to get this show on the road, have loads of advice and the only one with due respect I am declining is the get a boat under 7m which will negate some tax thing at 18%.. If 10m is top size, that’s it’s going to de ::)