New teak decks - costs.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
When we removed our teak deck, which were laid on marine ply, I couldn't believe the weight of a few square feet, after removal the boat was four inches higher in the water, the boat weighed 15 tons fully loaded which indicates the total weight removed.

Four inches does seem quite a lot.
We had a teak on ply deck too. Rebuilt the deck. It's now balsa-core with Marinedeck2000 on top (a cork-based teak lookalike).
On a 44' boat with a large flush deck we did lose about 650kg.
We do sit somewhat higher in the water now, but more like an inch - not four.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Perhaps he meant 4cms - not inches
Four inches does seem quite a lot.
We had a teak on ply deck too. Rebuilt the deck. It's now balsa-core with Marinedeck2000 on top (a cork-based teak lookalike).
On a 44' boat with a large flush deck we did lose about 650kg.
We do sit somewhat higher in the water now, but more like an inch - not four.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I've seen it being done on a Westerly Oceanlord, with good results. The teak panel supplier used a laser-mapping system which accurately recorded all the key points on the deck. The data was then transferred to a CAD program which drew up the precise panel shapes, and then the teak was assembled on some sort of backing sheet. Finally, the marina boatyard stuck the panels on, and did the finishing work. It was a big job because lots of fittings had to be removed, necessitating dismantling interior trim.

That was probably my Oceanlord at Shotley Point Marina. It was done just before I bought her at a cost of £28,000 - but that is every inch of deck including the cabin tops, a lot of teak.

That was done in 2004 and it is still looking good, but I only use cloths to wash down and never brushes.

pvb

Visit site
That was probably my Oceanlord at Shotley Point Marina. It was done just before I bought her at a cost of £28,000 - but that is every inch of deck including the cabin tops, a lot of teak.

That was done in 2004 and it is still looking good, but I only use cloths to wash down and never brushes.

Yes, I saw it being done in the workshop at Shotley. Was it really 2004? Doesn't time fly? £28K in 2004 was a lot of money.... equivalent to about £40K today. It does make me wonder whether the £10K estimates offered in this thread are realistic.

Last edited:

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
Two main factors drive the cost.

First raw material, ie teak.
In the last four years we must have fitted least 16 teak decks, though mainly on 1930's classic gentlemans yachts.
I know of at least another 3 to do this year.
My point is we've needed to be on the ball on the best supplies as quality is variable and the cost is high and even higher if you get it wrong.
If you buy just enough for one boat you will pay x, if you by a lot based on projected future requirements and are quick to respond when it becomes available (kitchen company goes bust and sells up stock for example) you can make a significant saving.

The other factor is man hours, which on a classic motor cruiser is around 35 to 40% of the total. (much bigger area but usually easier to lay)
Whereas on a deck similar to the one in question man hours will be more like 50 to 55%. (less wood but can be fiddly with more deck fittings)
Check out the hourly rate from yard to yard and multiply that by 170 hours and it makes a big difference.

Also just to point out that the 10k I suggested was just for side and foredeck whilst the Oceanlord example was a significantly bigger job.

Last edited:

brians

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses to my OP.

One thing I have still been unable to ascertain is whether the existing Beneteau deck is solid teak or a teak/plywood laminate. Can anyone advise from actual personal experience i.e. on their Beneteau 393?

RJD393

Visit site
I visited the factory in 2002 and the teak decks being fitted were solid teak. They were not pre-formed panels but laid plank by plank on the deck and held in place by ST screws along the edge of the plank (in the caulking!) The teak was laid before the deck moulding was bonded to the hull.

dom

Visit site
I was just thinking about this thread, basically because deep down I am surprised at how competitive Javelin's cost indications are.

I guess the point here is that the East Coast is not the Solent and if the boys in less expensive UK areas can deliver the kind of quality work we've seen on here and at such fair prices, then these smaller yards have a great future in front of them, one which is fully deserved :encouragement:

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I was just thinking about this thread, basically because deep down I am surprised at how competitive Javelin's cost indications are.

I guess the point here is that the East Coast is not the Solent and if the boys in less expensive UK areas can deliver the kind of quality work we've seen on here and at such fair prices, then these smaller yards have a great future in front of them, one which is fully deserved :encouragement:

Javelin's yard has competitive labour rates by East Coast standards, never mind Solent standards; I can vouch for the high quality of their work.