New Sprayhood - Wathermax 80 or Sunbrella?

DennisF

Visit site
The old sprayhood and aluminium frame that came with my old Westerly Berwick are now beyond the end of their useful life. I'm looking at replacements including a new stainless frame and have had 3 quotes. I have just about recovered from the shock. One recommends Weathermax 80, the other 2 Sunbrella. Any reasons to favour one over the other for a sprayhood?

richardbrennan

Visit site
I recently had a new sprayhood made by Dolphin Sails, who I believe supply Oyster. It's in Weathermax 80 and they also offer an upgraded thread which I opted for. I was very pleased with both the product and the service from Paul Austin at the Hamble office, although the main base is on the East Coast. If you are anywhere near Gosport you are welcome to come and have a look.

Tranona

Visit site
Despite what Sailorman says, Sunbrella does not rot.

The two brands are direct competitors and you will find supporters for both and suppliers who use either or both. My current canvas work was made by Tecsew who supply most of the canvas work for new boats such as Bavaria and Jeanneau, and they use the top Sunbrella grade.

As already suggested make sure the best thread is used. Even then the main material (either brand) will outlast the stitching.

Last edited:

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Speak to JB Yacht Services. Jim has been making the best covers and sprayhoods for decades - whatever he recommends will be the best and good value. No connection just a satisfied customer

Hambleton

Visit site
I work at Quay Canvas, Hamble. We never use Sunbrella, a few clients ask about it because it's the single brand most have heard of - the industry's moved on since they were the only players and Weathermax is a good all-rounder. People on here are right about the thread - make sure your specs include a high quality UV thread which now has a lifespan compatible with the fabric. Most of your costs will be in the labour - you could always ask the hourly workshop rate for any provider.

DennisF

Visit site
Thanks all, that is useful advice. Looks like Weathermax is the generally preferred option, and good tip about taking the upgraded thread option.

sailorman

Visit site
Despite what Sailorman says, Sunbrella does not rot.

The two brands are direct competitors and you will find supporters for both and suppliers who use either or both. My current canvas work was made by Tecsew who supply most of the canvas work for new boats such as Bavaria and Jeanneau, and they use the top Sunbrella grade.

As already suggested make sure the best thread is used. Even then the main material (either brand) will outlast the stitching.

My last sunbrella hood did my friend, uv got to it

Tranona

Visit site
My last sunbrella hood did my friend, uv got to it

All my Sunbrella canvas work fitted to the boat in 2001 in Greece was still fine when I sold the boat in 2015 - 10 years of that in the Med.

So you must have had a bum batch or it was not Sunbrella. Do you really think the product would be the top seller in the US and the Caribbean if it rotted?

Always dangerous to make a categoric statement based on one example!

jaybee63

Visit site
Sunbrella rotting? I've never heard off, or seen this. We regularly redo Sprayhoods where we supplied the original and sometimes upto 18 to 20 years old, we have replaced 2 this year of this age verified by the clients.
Stitching, clears and webbing won't last this long unless a Tenara or similar is used which is an expensive option. But even then there are different qualities of thread and clear, not all are the same.
There are many brands of acrylic canvas, all tend to be termed Sunbrella, think Hoover for vacuum cleaner.
We use Sunbrella and they have different grades, we use Sunbrella plus, I've been on a boat this week with a Bimini and conversion where the lower grade was installed by another contractor which is not really for marine work. The Plus is important.
What I would say is that to the best of my knowledge, most new boat brands we work on are supplied with Sunbrella Plus for factory installed canvas work.
There is plenty of Sunbrella on most marinas having been out in all elements 24/7 for upto 20 years and still colourfast to a very high degree.
Most Sprayhoods in Sunbrella Plus tend to be changed through accidental damage and patching over the years and becoming dirty if not regularly cleaned.
The decision is always the customers, but it's wise to be informed and saying Sunbrella rots is misinformation.

John
www.Tecsew.com.

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
All my Sunbrella canvas work fitted to the boat in 2001 in Greece was still fine when I sold the boat in 2015 - 10 years of that in the Med.

So you must have had a bum batch or it was not Sunbrella. Do you really think the product would be the top seller in the US and the Caribbean if it rotted?

Always dangerous to make a categoric statement based on one example!

I only have the 1 boat so limited to my own personal experience
Have you tried Weathermax 80

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I only have the 1 boat so limited to my own personal experience
Have you tried Weathermax 80

So that makes your experience limited to just one boat - and is contradicted by others who can speak much more authoritatively based on many more examples.

Why should I need to try Weathermax? when I have had excellent service from Sunbrella (and reupholstered my old boat with one of their other products). John (jaybee63) made all the canvas work on my latest boat - in Sunbrella plus, of course. Will let you know in 10 years how it stands up.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Jane made all our canvas work using Sunbrella and Dabond UV resistant thread. Companies that sell it the UK are:

United Kingdom
Dart Sails and Covers Ltd 01803839196
Flexicovers Ltd 01202721309
Goacher Sails 01539488686
Marine & Industrial Covers 01522537400

jaybee63

Visit site
With regards to thread we looked for an answer to the problems we are all aware of many years ago. We went direct to an international thread manufacturer, Oxley threads as we wanted a better product in terms of strength, U.V resistance and colour fastness than was being sold via the Marine canvas wholesalers to our trade. They put us in touch with their technical team and we had a product made directly for us, it meant buying quantities of each colour. A number of years later we were asked by one of the marine canvas wholesalers as to what we were using as they stated they were being asked by other companies as it didn't fade. They ended up stocking that product we were using 10 years ago.
Since then with product development in thread we use a now much improved product in a much heavier thread size than is the norm, a 20 metric thread size. Oxley thread is now Amani threads.
All products move up, or should do. Sunbrella Plus is now correctly termed New Sunbrella Plus as the fabric was improved in terms of colour fastness and stretch characteristics.
Window clears have also much improved, 15 years ago at times you only had 3 to 5 years service, that's now. I have I,proved.
One big tip, keep deck cleaning chemicals off windows, if accidents happen, immediately flush with fresh water.

Hope this helps.

John
www. Tecsew.com

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have had two hoods, one with a cockpit tent, made by highly reputable makers. I am not absolutely certain that they were Sunbrella but I would expect so. Neither has rotted but both have shrunk to such an extent that they could no longer be used. I was advised by the second of the makers, to whom I have returned, that this is not all that unusual in 7 - 10 years. The new hood and a bimini replacement have been delivered in Weathermax, which I am advised has less tendency to shrink. Both have been made using UV resistant thread.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I am just getting a quote for a cockpit cover.

The boat lives on a mooring, and I believe in leaving her with the cockpit drain seacocks closed, so the cover is important, and it will be subject to higher winds than would be the case in a marina.

The maker offered Weathermax or poly cotton. Which should I take?

Tranona

Visit site
I am just getting a quote for a cockpit cover.

The boat lives on a mooring, and I believe in leaving her with the cockpit drain seacocks closed, so the cover is important, and it will be subject to higher winds than would be the case in a marina.

The maker offered Weathermax or poly cotton. Which should I take?

As noted above, my cockpit cover was made in Sunbrella Plus by Tecsew. Has now done two winters facing the prevailing winds. Not sure I would use poly cotton. Alternative is PVC coated materials such as used for lorry curtains. The cockpit cover on my wooden boat with non self draining cockpit is now 35 years old but the material is plain looking and stiff so not easy to stow.

jaybee63

Visit site
I would never even concider polycotton, the cotton content will give you problems with rotting, colour fastness, shrinkage and mildew.
PVC goes stiff with U.V degradation.
Sunbrella is an Arylic canvas and it's worth noting that their stated max wash temp is 30 and not 40 degrees. The fibres will contract with heat at 40 degrees and shrink. Bear this in mind if washing.
Another problem with older canvas is when it's never cleaned, dirt becomes ingrained over the years and stiffens the fabric making it less flexiable. I'd also recommend taking the canvas off the frames every year and cleaning the frames, the canvas can "stick" to the frames when dirty and then the canvas is tight when trying to stretch down at the sides.
Acrylic canvas including Sunbrella should be fitted tight and will then stretch in a few days to a user friendly fit.
If it's taken off for a while it recoils, contracts and will be tight again the first time it's put back on
Most will know we are not the cheapest, but anyone with our work will have adjustable end plugs on the frames in most cases (occasionally there is a valid reason why they are not used). These are expensive fittings and the end lug can be wound in or out, hence lengthening or shortening the framework and hence you can adjust the tension in the canvas if a slacker fit is required.
The end lugs can also be wound completely out and changed for different lengths which can be brought, they come in 3 sizes each with around 20mm of adjustment.
Hope this all helps.

John
www.tecsew.com