New rig price/Do it myself??

Captain Bligh

Visit site
i'm looking at a choice of 2 yachts to buy, sigma 33 and first 345.

has anyone got a rough idea of a complete rig price for either boat?

is it possible to measure the old rig and build the new one yourself?

Captain Bligh

Visit site
lets say repalace the whole shooting gallery

behind the scenes story

selection of boats (both sig and first345)

one of each has new(ish) rig and old sails

other (in both cases) almost new sails and very old rig.

So do i replace rig or sail wardrobe?

30boat

N/A
Visit site
This is the quote from ZSpars for my 13m mast .Carriage was for the Algarve.

mast.jpg

Visit site
It seems a bit OTT to replace the rig just because it is old. It may be wise to renew the standing rigging, particularly if you don't know how old it is, but surely most things on a mast can be renewed or repaired? If the mast is so bad that it needs replacing then what is the rest of the boat like?

Or a you planning some intensive racing?

dovekie

Visit site
Certainly possible to do it all yourself (mast, spreaders, electrics, standing rig, boom and kicker, cleats and winches). And you can take great care about layout, electrolytic protection (between the fittings and the mast) and mast drainage for example. But it takes a long time - or at least it took me a long time. It wasn't the practical work. It was all the thought and planning required. You'll need to get all the exit holes, winches and cleat exactly where you want them, without ringing the extrusion with too many holes at one point thereby weakening it.

If you are keen to get sailing and the work must be done, a professional will be much quicker. Doing the standing rigging is much easier than the mast in my opinion.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Certainly possible to do it all yourself (mast, spreaders, electrics, standing rig, boom and kicker, cleats and winches). And you can take great care about layout, electrolytic protection (between the fittings and the mast) and mast drainage for example. But it takes a long time - or at least it took me a long time. It wasn't the practical work. It was all the thought and planning required. You'll need to get all the exit holes, winches and cleat exactly where you want them, without ringing the extrusion with too many holes at one point thereby weakening it.

If you are keen to get sailing and the work must be done, a professional will be much quicker. Doing the standing rigging is much easier than the mast in my opinion.

I don't know why the op wants a new rig.It certainly is not required to replace the whole thing everytime a boat changes hands.But in case it needs to be done it's not all that difficult.I did it last September and it took me a few days only.I had to fit a new mast step and join the two halves together but apart from that it was all pretty straightforward.

Captain Bligh

Visit site
thanks guys that a great help.

is there much of a cost saving by doing the work yourself??

you see i'm not sure about the older rigs, in particular the sigma, the venders might say the standing is X years old but who's to know. all yachts appear to be in good condition, given their age but i just dont know about the 25 year old masts. But if going to the trouble of changing the standing rig then perhaps it would be prudent to replace the mast. maybe i'm OTT, i just dont know.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Unless the mast has signs of damaging or weakening (look for lots of corrosion, and stress cracks around any holes, the base and stressed points such as the gooseneck), then there is no reason why it couldn't go on quite happily for another 25 years.... and the cost of renewing the standing rigging is a fraction of the costs of a whole new rig.

Visit site
It is OTT to replace the mast unless there is something seriously wrong with it. If there is your surveyor should let you know, but there is really no need to change a 25 year old mast without good reason. If you are not getting a surveyor involved then good old common sense, together with a careful examination should tell you if anything needs doing.

When I bought my boat I replaced gooseneck (badly worn), spreaders (broken at root), foot (small breakage, but might as well do it whilst everything else was done), sheaves (some were worn). It cost a few bob but it was certainly far cheaper than renewing everything. It's been fine ever since.

Keep your money for something else. A boat will find something for you to buy, you don't need to go looking for extra expense!

Captain Bligh

Visit site
well thanks very much. thats a great help. i think the boats with the newer sail wardrobe are more economically advantageous.

now all i ahve to do is wittle it down by other criteria such as equipment.

in the end isn't it all about getting more boat for your buck!!

30boat

N/A
Visit site
There's no reason to replace a mast just because it's 25 years old.The only reason why I replaced my 30 year old one(and by the way it's the same as the Sigma's) was that it had been damaged in a collision.These older masts have such thick walls that even with a dent or two mine was still perfectly serviceable.

saltylegs

Visit site
if you contact the uk sigma class I believe that they carry a stock of sigma tubes so if most of the bits and bobs are ok then you can transfer them over or renew as required.
can you say which sigs in ireland you are looking at as I viewed a few this time last year but ended up buying a project one from the south of england

30boat

N/A
Visit site
if you contact the uk sigma class I believe that they carry a stock of sigma tubes so if most of the bits and bobs are ok then you can transfer them over or renew as required.
can you say which sigs in ireland you are looking at as I viewed a few this time last year but ended up buying a project one from the south of england

I have two new spreader bases (same as the Sigmas) and spreaders.Never used.You're welcome to them in case you need them.

Blueboatman

Visit site
If it is a 25 year old fractional , bendy mast that has been raced, you could certainly do worse than have a word with David Hopkins, surveyor, very very knowledgeable on Sigmas.
-------
Telephone:

023 8045 3256

Fax:

023 8045 3800

Mobile:

07836 242075

E-mail:

enquiries@davidwhopkins.co.uk