New Racing Forum and no Colregs thread yet ?

Birdseye

Visit site
As you will have already learned on the other boards, Colregs dont apply to racers who allegedly just shout " get out of the *****ing way - we're racing".

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Well, go on. Give us the story then. From the wake it looks like a suicidally late tack onto starboard, but.....

I'll try and find the Committee decision, the story goes well beyond my limited understanding of racing rules.
There is a fourth boat involved, if you look at the bottom of the picture there is the top of a fourth mast of a boat sailing parallel to number 10.
The black boat bow had to be rebuilt, plus a big hole on the port side of the number 10.

Roberto

ok ok I apologize, the title should have mentioned racing rules instead of colregs :)

Though to be 100% correct, the respect of the IRPCS may be required by the race notice, as is often the case in offshore/night races.
The picture above is about racing rules, of course :)

(Damn can't find the committee ruling, I keep on trying)

Resolution

Visit site
A quick google produces this charming description of the event (it is a Google translation of a Spanish blog):

"Rule 10: CAP IN OPPOSITE . When boats are on opposite tacks, a port-tack boat shall keep clear of a starboard-tack boat.

PW and PL are required by rule 10 to keep clear of S, so reading the definition of obstacle, it is understood that a starboard tack boat is an obstacle to the port tack. This is well chained in the RRV, as you can see.

Therefore, under Rule 19.2 b), PW is entitled to ask PL room to pass at a distance of hull length S.

19.2 Giving Room at an Obstruction
(b) When boats are overlapped, the outside boat shall give the inside boat room to pass between her and the obstruction, unless, from the time the overlap began, has been unable to give it.

A very famous video of this case would be this.

In this case S, PL and PW are:
S: Mutua Madrileña, Basque Vascoto
PW: CXG Caixa Galcia Chuny Bermudez.
PL: Rusal Synergy.

CXG Caixa Galicia resulted in much damage the bow which ended the 2008 MedCup circuit that day. In this manga sailing at that time between the last 8 of the fleet. Rusal was eventually disqualified
."

Roberto

A quick google produces this charming description of the event (it is a Google translation of a Spanish blog):

"Rule 10: CAP IN OPPOSITE . When boats are on opposite tacks, a port-tack boat shall keep clear of a starboard-tack boat.

PW and PL are required by rule 10 to keep clear of S, so reading the definition of obstacle, it is understood that a starboard tack boat is an obstacle to the port tack. This is well chained in the RRV, as you can see.

Therefore, under Rule 19.2 b), PW is entitled to ask PL room to pass at a distance of hull length S.

19.2 Giving Room at an Obstruction
(b) When boats are overlapped, the outside boat shall give the inside boat room to pass between her and the obstruction, unless, from the time the overlap began, has been unable to give it.

A very famous video of this case would be this.

In this case S, PL and PW are:
S: Mutua Madrileña, Basque Vascoto
PW: CXG Caixa Galcia Chuny Bermudez.
PL: Rusal Synergy.

CXG Caixa Galicia resulted in much damage the bow which ended the 2008 MedCup circuit that day. In this manga sailing at that time between the last 8 of the fleet. Rusal was eventually disqualified
."

around min 5:30 of this video there is a few seconds footage covering the moment of the accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mnjSWLum-s

impressive machines they are :eek:

flaming

Visit site
around min 5:30 of this video there is a few seconds footage covering the moment of the accident

Wow, that's a real humdinger of a mistake from PL there!

Those boats are the 2008 versions. They wouldn't even see where this year's boats went. The pace of development in that class has been extraordinary.

flaming

Visit site
Just curiosity: do they build new boats to new specifications ? Or can the modifications be made on existing boats (eg new keel, new mast, etc) ?

r

I think this year the fleet is almost entirely new.

But it's not just new specs, even when the regs are stable year to year they make improvements with every generation of new boat.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
As you will have already learned on the other boards, Colregs dont apply to racers who allegedly just shout " get out of the *****ing way - we're racing".

Indeed they do, Sunday pm before last, one keelboat helm off Castle Point swore the F word at my Wife helming while I was below, we were on starboard tack , he was on port and windward boat, she had avoided the first 4 in class successfully, and two other classes and all the Classic Regatta but these older keelboat classes own the whole Solent, don't they.
Didn't get his sail no, or I would have protested him- Rule 23 applied I think, from my days racing Southerlies(and finishing higher overall than he was ever likely to:cool:))

Another sad middle aged WASP, I felt sorry for his Crew and my SWMBO, particularly if he was driving his Crew home up the M3

Last edited:

Tidewaiter2

Visit site

Ouch, deffo too exciting!
We were safely up tide of a similar very expensive and abrasive but light winds, half tide multi boat tangle rounding one of the nice big metal nav marks S of Herm 3 or 4 years ago at one of the Northshore Guernsey Regattas. One of the boats was just out of the factory- well, at least they got the first ding out of the way early on;)

Yes, you can race Southerlies, you just take longer to finish than everyone else:eek:

Last edited:

bedouin

Visit site
How slow / fast are they? Am contemplating a modern 35ft Southerly as a "can dry out" alternative to my current depp fin boat
If you have to ask then they are too slow :)

They are nice boats but you sacrifice a lot in speed/stiffness/pointing ability

Tidewaiter2

Visit site
If you have to ask then they are too slow :)

They are nice boats but you sacrifice a lot in speed/stiffness/pointing ability

Thats true, our older 37' with the wings on the rudder averages about 5/7kts, but needs about 15+kts of wind to get going. About 45/60 on the wind, but we have an in mast reefing system main.
Our friends MK3 S115 won overall the last Northshore Regatta, and was second overall before that(marketing adjustments to PY were suspected..).
He has a full main in stac-pac, genoa and spinny.
Also He doesn't carry as much cruising junk, extra chain, anchors, etc as we do:(

The smaller, newer ones are nippier, but the self tacking foresail usually means a furling genre or similar is needed off the wind.Same problems as the Hunters with self tackers down wind.

Last edited: