New Nordhavn 41

Visit site
Could do with being a 45 footer just to give it some cockpit space otherwise an awesome little ship for a serious cruising couple. however unless you are super committed to long distances surely a semi displacement option is a far more practical choice?

EricJ

Visit site
Thanks for sharing, great to see the boat in more detail. It is a very nice cruiser, but I have some doubts about this “commissary” area. Washing machine and freezer are not very accessible here, especially not if you fill the space with provisions and other stuff. The galley does not have that much storage (the part sticking into the saloon is used up by the electrical panel and the hole to put your feet if the seat is used as extra bed). I‘d have tried to put the washing machine under the stairs and create spaces with hatches in the floor to store provisions.

With the cable controlled throttles is there any way to sync the engines or is it a matter of manually trying to get them at the same revs?

Other than that, a very nice cruising boat. would really like to see an MBY test to compare this concept with the existing trawler style boats.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Fairly soon after taking delivery of our Fleming 55, we found displacement cruising at 8kts was far more preferable to semi at 12-14 even though the ride was stiffer, but having stabilisers made all the difference. Having been a speed freak in the past, it was somewhat ironic.

I agree with EricJ's comments about access to the commissary. Synchronising the engines? I love the idea of manual throttles and gears and agree that manual synching should be OK.

Originally, I'd have preferred our Fleming to have one engine, but it seems the UK and Europe prefers two. When I asked Tony Fleming for just one, he said it came with two. I said I was the customer and I wanted one. He said he was the builder and it came with two. End of conversation.

Overall, a lovely vessel which will certainly attract a new generation of boaters which will become loyal Nordhavn customers in their boating years.

MapisM

Visit site
With the cable controlled throttles is there any way to sync the engines
Yes.
I'm aware of a cable throttles synchronizer built by Glendinning, and possibly there are others, not sure.
A fine solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

MapisM

Visit site
When I asked Tony Fleming for just one, he said it came with two. I said I was the customer and I wanted one. He said he was the builder and it came with two. End of conversation.
Yeah, Fleming self-esteem was legendary, but I think he was also right, in this case.
As much as I also like single screw boats, having in mind how Fleming hulls are designed, it's easy to guess that adapting one for a single would have been a nightmare - if not even downright impossible.

EricJ

Visit site
But you understand why they've deliberately gone this route, yes?
Of course, the simplicity of this system makes it better specifically for those that want to go further afield. I was wondering how far you want to go with that. The new 51 also has the morse control cables, but for the larger twin engines Nordhavns they have understandably gone for electronic ones with the extra controls on the wings, cockpit, engine room etc.
There is also something to say for the smoothness of the electronic controls and the possibility to add extra controls. The latter will not be an issue for the N41, but for the N51 cockpit controls will be nice.

JB

Visit site
Nick Burnham AKA Aquaholic has done a full tour of the Nordhavn 41

Watch below...

I was not a fan of the 41 but I can see now how good a boat it is for a couple.... yes it doesn't have the pilothouse, but for a couple that is probably ok as it would keep everyone together... Nordhavn have had great success with this model, hence the addition of the 51

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I was not a fan of the 41 but I can see now how good a boat it is for a couple.... yes it doesn't have the pilothouse, but for a couple that is probably ok as it would keep everyone together... Nordhavn have had great success with this model, hence the addition of the 51

If i was looking to buy a 40+ foot trawler id probably buy the Swift Trawler 41

I know its only a CAT B but i wouldnt buy a Nordhavn 41 if i wanted a CAT A .....its just too small and doesnt have a pilothouse/flybridge. You'd be better off with a 51 etc

I assume the Nordhavn 41 to be a weekend boat and for smaller rivers etc so thats why i would buy the ST 41 instead

:unsure:

Greg2

Visit site

I know its only a CAT B but i wouldnt buy a Nordhavn 41 if i wanted a CAT A .....its just too small and doesnt have a pilothouse/flybridge. You'd be better off with a 51 etc

I assume the Nordhavn 41 to be a weekend boat and for smaller rivers etc so thats why i would buy the ST 41 instead

I follow your logic but wouldn’t ever put the two as competitors - compete worlds apart in terms of build quality. Not knocking the ST but having looked aboard both they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard.

JB

Visit site
I follow your logic but wouldn’t ever put the two as competitors - compete worlds apart in terms of build quality. Not knocking the ST but having looked aboard both they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard.

Correct- they are for 2 completely different types of use. The Swift Trawler is not crossing the Atlantic, but is good bang for your buck as an alternative with some compromises on the build quality etc

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Correct- they are for 2 completely different types of use. The Swift Trawler is not crossing the Atlantic, but is good bang for your buck as an alternative with some compromises on the build quality etc

I just dont see where the N41 sits in the market. Its like buying a Hummer for the school run and to go to ASDA supermarket on weekends. Total overkill

Maybe the N41 is for people who cant afford a proper Nordhavn.

?

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
I just dont see where the N41 sits in the market. Its like buying a Hummer for the school run and to go to ASDA supermarket on weekends. Total overkill

?
Similar to J Clarkson who famously said those that buy boxsters cannot afford a 911...

In my view, the N41 is looking for older couples who have some experience or are transitioning from sail to power and still have the strength & energy to travel. It’s perfect for longer trips not too far away from the coast and would inspire confidence in the boats ability to get the owners home.

Another thing, I think the resale value is going to be strong.

JB

Visit site

?

Possibly- the 41 is very cheap in comparison to some of the larger models.. the others such as the 52 and 60 specifically seem to have a very bare spec at the start which you will definetly add 25%, most likely 50% to have it the way you want it

EricJ

Visit site
Similar to J Clarkson who famously said those that buy boxsters cannot afford a 911...

In my view, the N41 is looking for older couples who have some experience or are transitioning from sail to power and still have the strength & energy to travel. It’s perfect for longer trips not too far away from the coast and would inspire confidence in the boats ability to get the owners home.

Another thing, I think the resale value is going to be strong.
Agree, coastal cruising with the option to go inland in some places. The second freezer won’t be needed...

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Given the cost of producing a small model, I suspect the N41 was conceived by two key marketing reasons,
  1. For those who love the look of a Nordhavn but had never been able to afford one - until now.
  2. Once you've bought, you tend to remain loyal to the brand. Hence, a road to buying another Nordhavn.
The subset of 2 is that it prevents a boater staying with a competitor. The words 'loss leader' come to mind.

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Chalk and cheese. Strangely enough the 2 previous owners of our DeFever 48 both bought a swift trawler 42(?) and neither really liked it. It’s not what I would call a trawler yacht. Great in its own way, speed and lots of space, but how many planing trawlers do you see?

Last edited:

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
Chalk and cheese. Strangely enough the 2 previous owners of our DeFever 48 both bought a swift trawler 42(?) and neither really liked it. It’s now what I would call a trawler yacht. Great in its own way, speed and lots of space, but how many planing trawlers do you see?
And the build quality leaves something to be desired. It’s a nice boat, but when you start to look at the cabinetry, it’s look like a £20k caravan...