New Nordhavn 41

Bouba

Visit site
are you two for real?
you are assuming abundance of cheap diesel as well?
if someone wants to get away from it all, s/he'd get a decent saily boat thing stuffed with solar, some decent LiPo4 battery banks of one gazillion Ah, a few sets of sails, lots of fishing equipment, an el. motor instead of diesel (see Uma) and cast off in the sunset (never to be seen again :-\ )
what's a Nordhavn got to do with all that?

V.
With no cruise liners and no airliners and very few Nordies fuel will be cheap

Piers

www.playdeau.com
are you two for real? you are assuming abundance of cheap diesel as well?

Many large tank capacity boats bunker fuel in St Peter Port. If you're displacement, you'll have enough for ages. I refuel Play d'eau annually, and only burn half tanks even with 3 months continuous cruising along the west coast of France. last i looked it was around 50/ltr.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Since Guernsey isn't, and hasn't ever been, part of the UK nor the EU, the answer is 'nothing changes'.

However isn't the current plot for UK to swap over to white diesel, thus if CI fuel remains marked that becomes a problem for UK based boats? Obviously this doesn't affect you but it would others, I think.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

are you two for real?
you are assuming abundance of cheap diesel as well?
if someone wants to get away from it all, s/he'd get a decent saily boat thing stuffed with solar, some decent LiPo4 battery banks of one gazillion Ah, a few sets of sails, lots of fishing equipment, an el. motor instead of diesel (see Uma) and cast off in the sunset (never to be seen again :-\ )
what's a Nordhavn got to do with all that?

V.

Bollox. If God had meant us to go sailing he never would have given us the diesel engine :p

Piers

www.playdeau.com
However isn't the current plot for UK to swap over to white diesel, thus if CI fuel remains marked that becomes a problem for UK based boats? Obviously this doesn't affect you but it would others, I think.
OK. Some fact. the Channel Islands, not being part of the UK nor the EU, set their own taxes. As we know, Rishi Sunak is examining all his own fuel taxes. and if they change for leisure boaters, it's unlikely to be able to brought in until 2022.

As has always been the case, Guernsey may, or may not, decide to alter their own fuel taxation levels. It could be the States decides that nothing will change, or they choose to fall in line with the UK or instigate something completely different.

Note there's no talk about red completely going. It will always be available for commercial vehicles and vessels, fishing boats, farmers, etc. It will simply be a decision as to who can use it and at what tax level.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
OK. Some fact. the Channel Islands, not being part of the UK nor the EU, set their own taxes. As we know, Rishi Sunak is examining all his own fuel taxes. and if they change for leisure boaters, it's unlikely to be able to brought in until 2022.

As has always been the case, Guernsey may, or may not, decide to alter their own fuel taxation levels. It could be the States decides that nothing will change, or they choose to fall in line with the UK or instigate something completely different.

Yes I'm well aware of CI's status. My point was rather a concern that fuelling in the CI for those of us who are UK based could/would become an issue if CI fuel remains marked and UK moves to white

Note there's no talk about red completely going. It will always be available for commercial vehicles and vessels, fishing boats, farmers, etc. It will simply be a decision as to who can use it and at what tax level.

Yes there is, at least for vehicle/boat propulsion, indeed this seems to be the RYA's preferred option. "Responding to the HM Treasury’s red diesel consultation on behalf of its members, the RYA has made it clear that anything less than the removal of the entitlement to use red diesel from all except the agriculture sector and for non-commercial heating systems, such as homes and narrowboats, could be detrimental to recreational boating. " (RYA calls for HM Treasury to ensure that fuel supplies for recreational craft are assured)

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Yes I'm well aware of CI's status. My point was rather a concern that fuelling in the CI for those of us who are UK based could/would become an issue if CI fuel remains marked and UK moves to white as is looking increasingly like for all boats both commercial and leisure (and this seemed to be the RYA's preferred option). "Responding to the HM Treasury’s red diesel consultation on behalf of its members, the RYA has made it clear that anything less than the removal of the entitlement to use red diesel from all except the agriculture sector and for non-commercial heating systems, such as homes and narrowboats, could be detrimental to recreational boating. "
OK, understood. I'd always believed (and this will need checking) that if you bought your boat fuel at a duty level less that that of the UK and intended only to use it for your boat (and kept the receipt to prove the purchase) that that was acceptable. It's been happening for UK boaters for years as they travel to and from the CIs. That doesn't mean to say that in the future, HMRC might want to charge you the additional duty on your return to the UK, however hard that might prove to be in practice.

MapisM

Visit site
No, it doesn't. I mean, it ain't a NEED of steel construction per se.
Imho, speccing a steel boat with a faired hull is a waste of money upfront, and later on a way to eat your own heart out.
That's when (not if) the hull will need even a tiny repair, and you'll realise that it will remain visible forever unless you repaint the whole thing.

EricJ

Visit site
For those of you who are also fans of these boats there are a couple of videos here, which I enjoyed a lot.

Warning, it’s nearly 3 hours in total of filming in bilges. Not your average action movies:

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting videos.It also shows that not everything is all that great about these boats; the engineroom as mentioned and the 12V system with the long cable runs to the batteries in the front on the early 62s.
Great content though!

MapisM

Visit site
It also shows that not everything is all that great about these boats
Absolutely.
Actually, I always thought that their prices are nowhere near as justified by superior technical content as the folks in Dana Point pretend they are.
But those videos strengthened my view beyond any reasonable doubt.

EricJ

Visit site
Absolutely.
Actually, I always thought that their prices are nowhere near as justified by superior technical content as the folks in Dana Point pretend they are.
But those videos strengthened my view beyond any reasonable doubt.

one of the advantages of production boats is that the numbers allow to fix design issues that are found on the first hulls. Sunseeker or Princess build enough 60-70 footers of one type to make such improvements. With Nordhavn 62s that are all different this is more difficult I think. Perhaps they will do it with the 41 which is built like a production boat. They have something like 22 already sold.

Alicatt

Visit site
Nick Burnham AKA Aquaholic has done a full tour of the Nordhavn 41

Watch below...

When I seen the first look inside Yikes my eyes, but as Nick went through the boat it grew on me, looks a well thought out boat, and with the collapsing mast that would allow it to traverse the French canals is a nice touch.