New Nordhavn 41

Alicatt

Visit site
Nick Burnham is, IMO, an ambassador for boating. A well respected journalist and a boat owner. He is providing content to both the owner to be, those that dream of boat ownership and to experienced boaters who like to keep in touch with trends and brands.

There is also demand for content of the quality that somebody like James Knight provides.

For example, following James Knight’s in-depth video on the N57, I’m looking at headlining, deck cranes, electronic arrays, ground tackle, pilot house set-up, engine room components as I watch Nick’s video. Now I realise that these will cost a lot of money to put right before I would trust that boat to get me safely to a destination. So, as I watch Nick going through the boat, I looking at it from a different perspective.

James Knight ha also taught me that the N57 is a low profile Nordhavn that can deal with a heavy seaway much better than other Nordhavn’s or similar boats and is (in relative terms) faster than many other displacement trawler type yachts and more fuel efficient resulting in longer range. All vital if your next boat will be a long distance comfortable go anywhere vessel or a potential live aboard (MV Dirona example).

Nick hasn’t got the experience to present that level of expertise, but he can show you in around 20 minutes whether any of the other less important elements of the boat might be deal breakers to the very important other half.

I believe that another forum member has looked over Goleen and said it needed a lot of money spent on it to get it up to standard. As somebody who aspires to owning a Nordhavn at some point, both presenters continue to educate me for which I am grateful.
We could do with someone doing a James Knight level of tour on the more numerous brands like Fairline and Princess just to mention 2. When watching Nick's videos I keep saying to myself what is behind that panel you just walked past/over, and in his recent Nordhavn video he completely failed to mention that there was a dive compressor in the lazerette.

GravyStain

Visit site
I think the Nick Burnham style is great for shortening a list of absolute requirements that you and SWMBO (if you have one) would have. i.e Open or GT cruiser? General layout of heads / cabins. Crew cabin or huge Lazarette? Engine comaprtment layout and space etc etc...

it's a quick and dirty way of drawing hard lines about what you can or can't live wthout. The rest is up to you when looking physically at the boats...

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I think the Nick Burnham style is great for shortening a list of absolute requirements that you and SWMBO (if you have one) would have. i.e Open or GT cruiser? General layout of heads / cabins. Crew cabin or huge Lazarette? Engine comaprtment layout and space etc etc...

it's a quick and dirty way of drawing hard lines about what you can or can't live wthout. The rest is up to you when looking physically at the boats...
I agree with this. I watch his vids with interest. As a newbie mobo buyer it's very useful to build up a general picture. And they're sometimes entertaining too.

TwoHooter

Visit site
Something that makes me wince on video tours is poor terminology..
Ceiling
Wall
Floor
Toilet
Bedroom
Reverse
Forwards
cupboard
kitchen
et al!
I agree, but some buyers of boats aren't really interested in the nautical side of things and they might just be confused. I can see the potential for some unsettling misunderstandings if Nick were to say that a boat has comfortable heads. Perhaps the sunbathing potential is a higher priority for many of Nick's subscribers? It takes all sorts to make a boat market and Nick's videos aren't really aimed at ancient mariners and salty dogs. In the N41 video he rambles on about the range of the boat but how many of his subscribers have the skills or serious intent to cross an ocean?

BTW I'm not sure "Forwards" is incorrect, unless it's describing the position of a gear shift. I describe locations as being forwards or aft, for example 'The forward limber hole below the day tank'. Is that wrong?

The term that makes me wince is Stateroom. Even our little crew cabin with its two stacked bunks and a miniscule floor area is called a Stateroom on the Nordhavn plans. But I haven't noticed Nick use that word.

TwoHooter

Visit site
IIRC, he also called ropes the mooring lines. ?
I personally witnessed someone rejected at a boat licence exam for that reason alone... :ROFLMAO:
PS: "licence" not being a typo - that's what it is down here, not a qualification.
Well there you go... just shows. I was taught that the only rope on a ship is the bell rope. Everything else has its own name and 'line' is used for bow, breast, and stern lines (not springs, which are just springs).
We'll be on to brass monkeys next and there'll be no end to it....

LBRodders

Visit site
I agree, but some buyers of boats aren't really interested in the nautical side of things and they might just be confused. I can see the potential for some unsettling misunderstandings if Nick were to say that a boat has comfortable heads. Perhaps the sunbathing potential is a higher priority for many of Nick's subscribers? It takes all sorts to make a boat market and Nick's videos aren't really aimed at ancient mariners and salty dogs. In the N41 video he rambles on about the range of the boat but how many of his subscribers have the skills or serious intent to cross an ocean?

BTW I'm not sure "Forwards" is incorrect, unless it's describing the position of a gear shift. I describe locations as being forwards or aft, for example 'The forward limber hole below the day tank'. Is that wrong?

The term that makes me wince is Stateroom. Even our little crew cabin with its two stacked bunks and a miniscule floor area is called a Stateroom on the Nordhavn plans. But I haven't noticed Nick use that word.

Fair points (y)

My 'forwards', was in relation to ahead. My boat moves / travels ahead and astern not forwards and backwards.

Location onboard, yes I agree forward and aft.

ari

Visit site
I didn't say he is.
What I said is that he (clearly, I hasten to add!) doesn't know what he's talking about.
But obviously, that's not so relevant for attracting youtube views.

You'd think after 40 years of boating, 20 years as a yacht broker and 10 years as a marine journalist he'd have picked up something by now! :D

I think you're misunderstanding what the videos are about. Aquaholic videos are like virtual boat show tours, a quick look around to see what it's all about. James Knight's videos are more like surveys - way more in depth and way more useful if you're thinking of buying that actual specific model of boat.

Also Aquaholic puts out three videos a week, James Knight has put out five, ever...

MapisM

Visit site
You'd think after 40 years of boating, 20 years as a yacht broker and 10 years as a marine journalist he'd have picked up something by now! :D
I wasn't aware of his background, but I agree with your conclusion: indeed you WOULD think that.

Visit site
Nick is mostly making content for day dreamers. You can see from the comments that most people have no idea of the practicalities of a boat also by far his most popular videos are of super yachts something I’m not interested in much.

I use his videos to rule out models to be honest. I’ll be thinking not enough bench space in the galley or not enough storage or engine spaces too cramped or too much stuff in the salon meaning you could barely walk past someone (I‘m looking at you Galeon). Most other videos you can find online will only superficially show you the state rooms and things like Look! a TV on an electric pedestal.

Personally I find Nick likeable and I’m pleased that he can make a living out of his passion given that it must have been hard being a print boat journalist over the last few years.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Nick is mostly making content for day dreamers. You can see from the comments that most people have no idea of the practicalities of a boat also by far his most popular videos are of super yachts something I’m not interested in much.

I use his videos to rule out models to be honest. I’ll be thinking not enough bench space in the galley or not enough storage or engine spaces too cramped or too much stuff in the salon meaning you could barely walk past someone (I‘m looking at you Galeon). Most other videos you can find online will only superficially show you the state rooms and things like Look! a TV on an electric pedestal.

Personally I find Nick likeable and I’m pleased that he can make a living out of his passion given that it must have been hard being a print boat journalist over the last few years.

No one is going to buy a boat from watching Nick's videos but i would definitely go have a good look around one based on the broad overview of what it does and how it looks.

And i would like to think that anyone who owns a boat is a "Dreamer"

(y)