New Nordhavn 41

JB

Visit site
If you're interested in a Nordie but your other half can't stand their appearance, you could do worse than considering the old 50 or 57.
On top of their design much closer to "normal" pleasure boats, they are actually even better than most of their current stuff, in more ways than one:
Faster hulls with strong bulbous bow, no awfully tall superstructure where you're always going up or down, mechanical engines...
What's there not to like?

Or of course there is always the option to build one and it will be just the way you want it - assuming the budget permits

MapisM

Visit site
still the price I think :rolleyes:
Good point.
But unless you are very biased when judging the VFM of boats, you'd better steer clear of them all! :ROFLMAO:
Though Nordhavns deserve an honorable mention in this respect, that's for sure - both new and used ones.

• Haha
Reactions: vas

MapisM

Visit site
I'd recommend to anyone remotely interested in the N57 to check out the video below instead.
It is much longer, but well worth it, because (in sharp contrast with the previous one) the presenter does know what he's talking about.

Visit site
I'd recommend to anyone remotely interested in the N57 to check out the video below instead.
It is much longer, but well worth it, because (in sharp contrast with the previous one) the presenter does know what he's talking about.
Yes the series are very interesting. He makes you want to own one! To be fair Nicks videos are just walks throughs not any sort of review or commentary

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
Absolutely, James is prepared to share his immense knowledge of these boats, warts and all. I enjoy Nick’s spin through the boats he visits, but I would prefer more in-depth reviews showing the systems not just the accommodation.

When I bought my boat, the broker said most people just look at the main points and are not really interested in how it works or what needs looking after. So, I suppose Nick is showing a shorter video to highlight the points most people seem to be interested in.

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
Absolutely, James is prepared to share his immense knowledge of these boats, warts and all. I enjoy Nick’s spin through the boats he visits, but I would prefer more in-depth reviews showing the systems not just the accommodation.

When I bought my boat, the broker said most people just look at the main points and are not really interested in how it works or what needs looking after. So, I suppose Nick is showing a shorter video to highlight the points most people seem to be interested in.
Aquaholic has got 280k+ subscribers so Nick is doing something right for a lot of people . . .

Besides - he's not going to be invited on the number of boats he has been if he starts tearing them to bits. He's not daft (IMO :ROFLMAO:).

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I didn't say he is.
What I said is that he (clearly, I hasten to add!) doesn't know what he's talking about.
But obviously, that's not so relevant for attracting youtube views.

If you dont like the videos then dont watch them (y)

Personally ive found them very helpful when i was decided what type of boat i wanted to buy

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I didn't say he is.
What I said is that he (clearly, I hasten to add!) doesn't know what he's talking about.
But obviously, that's not so relevant for attracting youtube views.

Would you mind giving examples?

I used to watch all his output, however the boat tours have got very samey and more recently appear to be pretty much brokers' advertising videos contracted out . Where I think he may be very good , and indeed doing out hobby a real favour, is in some of his more basic 'how to' videos which IMHO do a fair bit to de-mystify boating for the novice and his sheer enthusiasm and unstuffiness.

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
I think this all discussion gets OTT and is also quite OT.
If you enjoy Nick's videos, that's fine, if you want something more technical that's also fine and for sure that's not what Nick's videos are.
I have to admit I watch them at 2X speed and no sound just to get the idea of a particular boat layout and even so they are so longwinded and never manage to reach the end.

EricJ

Visit site
If you dont like the videos then dont watch them (y)

Personally ive found them very helpful when i was decided what type of boat i wanted to buy
Agreed. Nick’s videos are better than most boat tours where they only talk about the big windows and master cabin. Also agree that they are becoming more of the same, especially when he starts to explain for the umpteenth time what a generator or letterbox passerelle does. The Yacht Tech videos on Nordhavn are a category on their own and it fits the type of boat.

This Nimbus/Axopar dealer in Germany also does nice detailed videos (for German speakers):

MapisM

Visit site
Would you mind giving examples?
I don't mind in principle, but on top of a practical problem that I have, I'm wondering why do you ask, first and foremost.
I mean, my practical problem is that while plenty of small details made me understand beyond any reasonable doubt what you highlighted of my previous post, frankly I didn't care enough to memorize them, and neither I can be arsed to watch the video again now.
BUT the point is, why should my personal view really matter to you?
If you liked the video, and you don't mind if the presenter doesn't add any real value compared to what everyone and their dog could do by going around a boat with a camera in hand, well, who am I to argue?
After all, you aren't alone in enjoying his videos, so he must be doing something right regardless of his real understanding of the boats he's reporting.
And also the fact that I like much better the videos of James Knight is totally irrelevant.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if many boaters would find them boring, in fact - each to their own!

Anyhow, since I hate to give the impression of avoiding a direct question, here's just a few examples off the top of my mind, even if as I said there were many others:
He called "Trace" the inverters, obviously based on their more visible label, showing that he doesn't know they are actually Xantrex components (Trace being just the series name, that nobody knows and cares about).
He said that the boat has twin anchors, making me wonder if he knows the difference between a twin anchor ground tackle and an ordinary single anchor, plus a spare which only happens to be stored nearby for convenience.
By a similar token, one could also argue about his definition of that N57 as a twin engines boat, but I guess that's just semantic, to many folks.
Though in contrast with all that, he points at the arch to show where the Furuno open array is, completely missing that there's a second Raymarine radome, right in front of the upper helm. Near a very nice Furuno satellite compass by the way, which he also fails to mention - though in fairness that's not a very popular bit of kit, also because it's pretty dear.

Last edited:

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
Nick Burnham is, IMO, an ambassador for boating. A well respected journalist and a boat owner. He is providing content to both the owner to be, those that dream of boat ownership and to experienced boaters who like to keep in touch with trends and brands.

There is also demand for content of the quality that somebody like James Knight provides.

For example, following James Knight’s in-depth video on the N57, I’m looking at headlining, deck cranes, electronic arrays, ground tackle, pilot house set-up, engine room components as I watch Nick’s video. Now I realise that these will cost a lot of money to put right before I would trust that boat to get me safely to a destination. So, as I watch Nick going through the boat, I looking at it from a different perspective.

James Knight ha also taught me that the N57 is a low profile Nordhavn that can deal with a heavy seaway much better than other Nordhavn’s or similar boats and is (in relative terms) faster than many other displacement trawler type yachts and more fuel efficient resulting in longer range. All vital if your next boat will be a long distance comfortable go anywhere vessel or a potential live aboard (MV Dirona example).

Nick hasn’t got the experience to present that level of expertise, but he can show you in around 20 minutes whether any of the other less important elements of the boat might be deal breakers to the very important other half.

I believe that another forum member has looked over Goleen and said it needed a lot of money spent on it to get it up to standard. As somebody who aspires to owning a Nordhavn at some point, both presenters continue to educate me for which I am grateful.