New Engines - views

G

Interested in any views/experiences of new engines in the 35hp range
Thonycraft/Kubota etc also any 'discounted' suppliers

Isn't markup what brokers do !

G

Why not Yanmar. Very reliable, compact, purpose build, but a bit more expensive.

BrianJ

Visit site
Yes Yanmar are good. However have you looked at VW ? They said they would release a marine engine some time back but no one over here knows anything about it. Also their www site not much help. I like the idea of a VW engine. Shop around and see what you can find out.
brianj

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
When I re-engined last year I asked about discounts. Yard said the only engines usually available with discounts were Yanmar & Volvo, because their volume sales were big enough to support competitive dealers. Most other engines have only a limited number of suppliers, so they've no need to discount.

G

Small, reliable, economic, quite, Nanni Deisel. Give A.R. Peachment a ring in Brundall, Norwich, Norfolk. Ask to speak to Tony if he's availible and tell what your looking for. He's a very helpfull chap. (01603) 714077

G

I'm almost sure that most of the new engines in the range your discussing are based on the kubota, Nanni, mitsubishi, sole, volvo, to mention but a few.

The man mntioned below from Norwich offered me the best deal with the Kubota, but did'nt have one in stock. So I bought a Sole/ Mitsubishi, which was a few pounds more but also a few HP more.

If you don't mind getting an engine shipped from Belgium, I might be able to get you a good deal on a new Nanni Kubota 38 HP from here.

Good Luck, Gaz.

G

Can you improve upon a Bukh 36 which is probably the only engine specifically designed for marine use - as oposed to being a marinised industrial engine.
Mine is 14 years old and superb and with an excellent and helpful backup service in the UK.
Probably among the most expensive but worth it.

I put a new Yanmar 35 3 cyl in my last boat which was very good but I prefer my older Bukh.
Depends on your wallet and for how long you intend to keep the boat.

Good luck
Andrew

ponapay

Visit site
They are nearly all MUCH CHEAPER outside UK. I got a new Volvo MD22 in Denmark fited for £2,000 less than the UK price unfitted. That included a new propeller and calorifier.

ponapay