New Blinds for Squadron 58

jrudge

Visit site
I have the boat in bits at the moment ( Again!) as I have just replaced the saloon ceiling fabrics.

I have the side panels out and they will be recovered when I am next down.

This gives me access to the blinds which are old style venetian and rather past their prime.

I want to replace them with ....

- Honeycomb the blinds
- that have guide wires ( pre tensioned in the blind industry terms )
- 12 or 24 v electric ( most are battery powered and last a year in a house between charging - so prob double that on a boat)

The challenge I am finding is that I can buy them without the guide wires with no issue.

With the guide wires and manual. No issue.

Guide wires and electric. Well sir you will need a consultation. I don't want a consultation and I rather doubt you fancy climbing all over a half dismantled boat a 2 hours flight away! They simply won't deal with you unless they can " consult" which I find bizarre.

I emailed IMP who deal with Oceanair ( now Dometic so the price has probably gone up ) but have had no reply.

What I want cant be difficult - I just cant seem to source it. Any ideas?

The other option is I buy without guide wires, put them up when moving ( they are electric after all!) and put some of my own guide wires on the outside in nylon at the sides and middle ( they are long) to stop them flapping which I would imagine is pretty simple. It would not be the same as internal tensioned wires, but given the only aim on a boat is to contain the thing should the boat move it would probably work OK. Views welcome.

https://www.electrablinds.co.uk/our-blinds-collection/honeycomb-blinds.html

These people for example supplied the ones for my house. They are not expensive - ball park £250 a blind - I need 6 in total.

MapisM

Visit site
This gives me access to the blinds which are old style venetian and rather past their prime.
Sorry J, can't help with your question.
But what's there not to like in venetian blinds?
Imho, they are very practical on a boat, because you can easily and quickly pass from an almost full outside view to a total shading in seconds, without needing to pull them up/down.
And by fixing them with side cords attached to their bottom (a small difference, but some builders stupidly skimp on it - not sure how yours were done), they remain very stable in all kind of seas.
The only drawback is that it takes a bit of time and patience to clean venetian blinds without destroying them, but that's not a daily job...

jrudge

Visit site
Mine are knackered - they don't stay up and the adjustment wands are 50%missing - but they do have the guide wires.

- Venetians are old style. I have not seen them in a house in a long long time. Surprisingly looking at the builders web sites they are still using them - together with draw strings which seems a bit basic in this day and age!

- I like them open unless there is cause to close them - at night, someone on the next door boat, leaving the boat etc.

- I want electric as I have them at home and as far as I know electric venetian only change the shading part. - they don't go up / down so as to remove the blind form view.

I will do another post if I cant figure out how to post an image of a part I am also looking for !

Hurricane

Visit site
I changed our venetian blinds in all out bathrooms on the boat.
Didn't bother with the wire guides.
Just bought cheap nicely coloured bespoke fit.
The cheap replacements look nicer and have lasted longer than the Oceanaire ones.
I fitted a popper to the bottom (the type of popper that you would use on canvas).
The idea was that you lower the blind and popper them down.
Works but the wires nor the poppers are not really necessary in the bathrooms.

BTW - I like those honeycombe ones that you have posted.
My main Oceanaire saloon / galley blinds are fine at the moment though.

EDIT
How about blinds like these in our port cabin.
I'm sure there is a technical name for them - Roman blinds or something like that.
That fabric might be a bit heavy for your saloon but the concept??

serve.php

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site

vas

Visit site
you have spawned and idea ....

I could run a line of magnetic tape on the bottom, and either the base is magnetic - or if not run another line of it on the bottom of the blind. Nowhere near the compass!

As such when down they would be secured - when up they don't need securing - half way is an issue I suppose !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adh...=27172517444240ba1d1a1fc043b4a3e5615471791452

not a bad idea as long as you don't do halfway (shouldn't really not much of a point) and most importantly you don't wear any old school wrist watch which is not quartz. I do wear a Seamaster and I've messed it up once due to magnets (and a couple of times due to shocks -working chisel and hammer wearing it) Don't want to drop anything like that on that shelf!

V.

NGM

Visit site
you have spawned and idea ....

I could run a line of magnetic tape on the bottom, and either the base is magnetic - or if not run another line of it on the bottom of the blind. Nowhere near the compass!

As such when down they would be secured - when up they don't need securing - half way is an issue I suppose !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adh...=27172517444240ba1d1a1fc043b4a3e5615471791452

Good idea although likely the magnetic is too strong to allow the blind motor to free it and you would have to do it manually before retracting ?

jrudge

Visit site
Possibly. Use less magnetic strip I suppose !

I am waiting on a quote from imp ( ocean air)

The cost to do this without wires is £1500 for 6 for the saloon . Unless the imp quote is close I will try drilling one and adding a guide wire. I can’t see it would be difficult .... if not then magnets.

Other threads that may be of interest