New Auto Pilot question...

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Au contraire... the compartment is quite small the upper bearing mounting where it does look as if there should be room, but the whole compartment is only 550mm wide at the widest end, and you have to take out the size of the upper bearing, and that leaves you with a usable half width of no more than 220mm - that's nowhere near big enough for the Jefa DD1, or even the final part of an Octopus drive.... The compartment is quite low down and there's nothing close that would help spread the load. It would need to be a vey chunky half bulkhead, but that adds cost to the installation which starts looking like 25% of the boat value....

There's the rub, how long do you think you will keep the boat and how long can you put up with an unreliable autopilot. Do you want to throw good money after bad with the wheel pilot option which you know won't give satisfactory performance.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
There's the rub, how long do you think you will keep the boat and how long can you put up with an unreliable autopilot. Do you want to throw good money after bad with the wheel pilot option which you know won't give satisfactory performance.

Well, I intend to keep her, but much as I like her, we've managed to sail for 11 years as is... the money over time would probably fund things that add to our general enjoyment of her more.

lpdsn

Visit site
... It would need to be a vey chunky half bulkhead, but that adds cost to the installation which starts looking like 25% of the boat value....

It's very hard to comment on threads like this as I know myself it is hard to get across the limitations of your own boat in a thread, however...

If you think a new semi-bulkhead would solve the problem, could you not cut costs by doing it yourself. Some plywood, resin and glass. It's not as if you'd have to reach a high standard of finish as it'd be hidden and you wouldn't be worrying about osmosis etc. 400Kg is not a heavy load to handle for a fibreglass structure, so you'd probably over engineer it anyway.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
It's very hard to comment on threads like this as I know myself it is hard to get across the limitations of your own boat in a thread, however...

If you think a new semi-bulkhead would solve the problem, could you not cut costs by doing it yourself. Some plywood, resin and glass. It's not as if you'd have to reach a high standard of finish as it'd be hidden and you wouldn't be worrying about osmosis etc. 400Kg is not a heavy load to handle for a fibreglass structure, so you'd probably over engineer it anyway.

Wood and fibreglass isn't my thing... Electronics, engineering stuff, etc, etc... I recognised my own limitations before my school woodwork teacher did 47 years ago...

I really do appreciate all the input to help me make a decision.

Mrnotming

Visit site

Most sensible reply!!! or change boat!

charles_reed

Visit site
I cannot recommend a Wheel Pilot. It's failure to work very well in other than flat calm was the reason I ditched it. Well, that and the clutch lever becoming partially disengaged all the time when power applied.
I think it would be a waste of money.

I think the OP's post specifically ruled out a wheel pilot and referred to "below-deck mounting".
It's generally accepted that the Raymarine autopilots are good value for money (though none of the offshore single-handed racers use them).
The Raymarine Evolution range looks interesting and certainly there is something in the range which will adequately cover "Gladys", weight.

I was advised, when I chose my autopilot, by the Raymarine techies to ignore the size recommendations and go for a size larger than needed - presumably an EV200 - linear, as it's a Whitlock gear, http://www.raymarine.co.uk/view/?id=7683

FullCircle

Visit site
I think the OP's post specifically ruled out a wheel pilot and referred to "below-deck mounting".
It's generally accepted that the Raymarine autopilots are good value for money (though none of the offshore single-handed racers use them).
The Raymarine Evolution range looks interesting and certainly there is something in the range which will adequately cover "Gladys", weight.

I was advised, when I chose my autopilot, by the Raymarine techies to ignore the size recommendations and go for a size larger than needed - presumably an EV200 - linear, as it's a Whitlock gear, http://www.raymarine.co.uk/view/?id=7683
The OP refers to a Wheel Pilot in post #1.

Shaddickp

Visit site
Well I fitted an Raymarine EV1 with wheel drive a year ago to a 36 foot Dufour and it has performed extremely well. I am very happy with it's performance, and its done very well is some fairly challenging conditions. Boat is around 6.5 tonnes. The clutch does pop out occasionally so I fitted a simple bungee type hook over to keep the clutch in. I've not tried messing with the clutch adjustment as the bungee seems perfectly adequate, but that would be the proper approach.
Fitting was fairly straight forward apart from the usual hassle of running cables where only limbo dancing monkeys can reach. Also I have a Whitlock steering system, can't remember off the top of my head which sort. May also over winter fit a rudder reference unit.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Well I fitted an Raymarine EV1 with wheel drive a year ago to a 36 foot Dufour and it has performed extremely well. I am very happy with it's performance, and its done very well is some fairly challenging conditions. Boat is around 6.5 tonnes. The clutch does pop out occasionally so I fitted a simple bungee type hook over to keep the clutch in. I've not tried messing with the clutch adjustment as the bungee seems perfectly adequate, but that would be the proper approach.
Fitting was fairly straight forward apart from the usual hassle of running cables where only limbo dancing monkeys can reach. Also I have a Whitlock steering system, can't remember off the top of my head which sort. May also over winter fit a rudder reference unit.

Is your 6.5 tonnes fully loaded...? Unfortunately that's Gladys's "dry weight", and I need to add at least 20% to that... Glad to hear it worked though... Carrying on ruminating

Vegable

Visit site
I don't know if this is going to be of help or not.
On the Scuttlebut forum there's a thread about sailing in Northern Waters and one of the posts has a u-tube video of a chap hard sailing with a wheel ap. His boat is taking some really hard pounding. In one of the videos he says that he tried a wind vane system but didn't like it so sold it and in another video he describes his boat. It might be worth approaching him to see what system he has because it's doing some serious work.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUH6fLsV6J7WKEmf7vJKfAw
It's interesting to watch if nothing else!
Mike

{151760}

Visit site
That's certainly a wheel pilot. Might it have a hydraulic drive below deck somewhere? Would the wheel component be removed if that were fitted? The wind is well forward which helps, and the sails are obviously well balanced as it's not working hard.
Those three winches either side on the coachroof are unusual.

Last edited:

Blue Fox

Visit site
There is another solution, not mentioned yet. Use a windvane with a small electric autopilot. Although not near so sensitive as an under deck drive, it could certainly work and is strong enough. And you could use the windvane blade as well.