Need Some Advice!!!

dave748

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I know there are a lot of similar posts on here regarding what I'm about to ask but I'm going to ask anyway so I get the most up to date advice as some of the other posts are a bit dated now. So I'm looking to buy my first motor boat that will be used off shore (a big expensive toy really), I've been doing loads of research on all kinds of boats but it seems like I'm constantly having to compromise on something so thought it would be better to ask the people who actually own boats.

I'm really looking for a bit of an all rounder, a boat that's comfortable at sea for fishing trips, a weekender for staying over on the weekends in the marina's, fast enough to take people out in the summer doing things like tubing and water skiing etc. Reliable enough to go far enough out to reach the deep wrecks for different fish species (say 40mile max). There are so many options to consider along with some of my personal preferences I'm finding it almost impossible to settle on a boat.

Here are my thoughts so far, I prefer the aesthetic's of inboard engines, hidden away with a swim platform on the back but read they can be slow, noisy and more difficult to service and maintain due to accessibility, probably making them more expensive to look after. I'd prefer a 4 berth over a two, I'd like to be able to reach 20 knots for the tubing and water skiing and cruse at around 16-17 for efficiency when taking longer trips out, will probably use it for a bit of sight seeing too up and down the coast. I like the layout with the table and seating in the wheel house on the same level as the skipper with the extra seating or sleeping area at the bow. I'd prefer 2 hob burner for cooking as I think one would just be a bit too few if cooking for a number of people but this is just a nice to have, not essential. I could go on about the little things but I think I've said enough and given you enough of an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I have a loose budget of around £25k max but if it's really worth pushing it a little for something that is much better I probably can, then again if I can spend less for something that would be better suited even better.

So, any suggestions?

So far looked at:

Merry Fisher 705
Merry Fisher 645
Merry Fisher 625

Quicksilver 640
Quicksilver Active 705

Beneteau 760

These are the main one's I've been looking at as well as many others but all have their pro's and con's wither it's price, engine, size, sea worthiness, speed, stability etc, etc.

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated, also I have no idea how boats hold up to depreciation too, or how long you can expect a boat to last before the cost of maintenance and keeping it going becomes uneconomical as compared to the worth of the boat.

Thanks Guys.

rafiki_

Visit site
Dave, welcome to the forum. I personally can't help, but many on here have to sort of boat you are looking at, and they should start to see this post.
Good luck

jrudge

Visit site
I know nothing about that end of the market but I do know about pulling skiiers.

You are going to need sigjifacnt surplus power to pull and adult skiier up, even more if a mono skiier.

Given your budget and the overall requirement ( accommodation etc ) this mAy prove a challenge

Plum

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I know there are a lot of similar posts on here regarding what I'm about to ask but I'm going to ask anyway so I get the most up to date advice as some of the other posts are a bit dated now. So I'm looking to buy my first motor boat that will be used off shore (a big expensive toy really), I've been doing loads of research on all kinds of boats but it seems like I'm constantly having to compromise on something so thought it would be better to ask the people who actually own boats.

I'm really looking for a bit of an all rounder, a boat that's comfortable at sea for fishing trips, a weekender for staying over on the weekends in the marina's, fast enough to take people out in the summer doing things like tubing and water skiing etc. Reliable enough to go far enough out to reach the deep wrecks for different fish species (say 40mile max). There are so many options to consider along with some of my personal preferences I'm finding it almost impossible to settle on a boat.

Here are my thoughts so far, I prefer the aesthetic's of inboard engines, hidden away with a swim platform on the back but read they can be slow, noisy and more difficult to service and maintain due to accessibility, probably making them more expensive to look after. I'd prefer a 4 berth over a two, I'd like to be able to reach 20 knots for the tubing and water skiing and cruse at around 16-17 for efficiency when taking longer trips out, will probably use it for a bit of sight seeing too up and down the coast. I like the layout with the table and seating in the wheel house on the same level as the skipper with the extra seating or sleeping area at the bow. I'd prefer 2 hob burner for cooking as I think one would just be a bit too few if cooking for a number of people but this is just a nice to have, not essential. I could go on about the little things but I think I've said enough and given you enough of an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I have a loose budget of around £25k max but if it's really worth pushing it a little for something that is much better I probably can, then again if I can spend less for something that would be better suited even better.

So, any suggestions?

So far looked at:

Merry Fisher 705
Merry Fisher 645
Merry Fisher 625

Quicksilver 640
Quicksilver Active 705

Beneteau 760

These are the main one's I've been looking at as well as many others but all have their pro's and con's wither it's price, engine, size, sea worthiness, speed, stability etc, etc.

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated, also I have no idea how boats hold up to depreciation too, or how long you can expect a boat to last before the cost of maintenance and keeping it going becomes uneconomical as compared to the worth of the boat.

Thanks Guys.

Welcome. The multi-purpose boat does not exist. I don't think you will find what you are looking for and will need to compromise. I have a Beneteau Antares 760, which you may find for close to your budget. It will cruise at the speeds you require and will do 20knots flat out (as long as you get the 200hp version) but it will not do that speed towing a skier. It is claimed to be four birth but only just, the dinette double is only a metre wide, great for two in the forecabin. An inboard diesel will hold its price better in the long run than an outboard. Some parts of the country have very few places to refuel with petrol for an outboard.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

SnaxMuppet

Plymouth, Devon, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Uni
Visit site
Welcome!

I can't comment too much on boats that I haven't owned but I have owned a MF625.

Mine had a Suzuki 115 outboard.

I wouldn't say that it was a suitable boat as it really doesn't meet your requirements... it is just 2 berth at a squeeze and I would say that for more than a couple of nights it isn't really that. I took my MF625 around Britain single-handed and I reckon that for a 21ft boat it handled the sea pretty well but I still wouldn't be comfortable going out in anything above a 2m sea and even then I wouldn't do it voluntarily. It did have a single burner stove but again... fine for boiling a kettle or doing a simple, single pot meal but suitable for not much more than a weekender IMO. I was 8 weeks on mine but was sponsored to eat dehydrated food on the trip so for me it worked well. It didn't have a table inside the cockpit (it did down below but it was a very tight squeeze and I didn't use it at all) but you could have the table up in the aft area and with the aft closing kit it was fine for one person. It would be fine for a couple but no more than that except for day trips. It cruised comfortably at 20kts in flat seas but anything more than a slight swell/chop and you had to come off the plane. I wouldn't have said it had a lot of surplus power so it may not be great for skiing... I can't really say as I didn't ski. It is a pretty good fishing boat for inshore waters IMO in good weather but again, because of size, only two persons. In summary... the MF625 is more a day boat, pretty good for fishing but very basic accommodation means it is suited only really for occasional short trips. You can stay on it but it would be like the most basic of camping.

I now have a Beneteau Antares 7... a couple of feet longer, it has a table in the cabin but again, very basic and not really much more than a day boat.

I would have thought that perhaps a more suitable boat might be a sports cruiser such as the Sealine S23... it is designed more as a floating caravan with a small galley and sleeping for 4. You could easily go away for a week or two with 4 on board with family or friends if you all knew each other well. It isn't such a good option though for fishing but you could fish if you were careful with the hooks on the upholstery! I think you might have to go over the £30K though.

Boats generally hold up well if they are properly looked after and regularly maintained. If a boat looks dirty, untidy or tatty then my advice... walk away. Look for a boat that has been lovingly looked after and properly maintained with the documentation to prove it. Any missing or suspect documentation... walk away. If things down work... such as water system, chartplotter etc walk away... yes they are things that are easily fixed but it suggests that the boat is not well looked after. A well looked after boat should last decades.

Last edited:

dave748

Visit site
Hmm,

Thanks for the advice, the skiing isn't an absolute necessity and it wouldn't bother me that much if this is something that I couldn't do with what ever boat I end up with. I had a feeling that "The multi-purpose boat does not exist." this would be the case, unless you have very deep pockets which I don't unfortunately. I'm more interested in the fishing, tubing for the kids and friends and general fun and the staying over for short periods. I have looked at the S23 and the Bayliner 245 and 255 but I'm a bit unsure about the practicality of the open cockpit in the UK. In a nice mostly warm and sunny location I can really see the appeal but here, where you can almost guarantee it will rain almost every time you set foot on the boat I just can't see how it would work and I'm not sure you'd be able to go far or fast with the cover on if anywhere at all.

Like I said I could push my budget, maybe even over the 30K mark but would only do so if it meant I really got what I was looking for or got a really good deal that was worth the extra cash. It seems though from what you've said about the 645 and Antares 7 and those type of hard cabin boats they don't really cut the mustard on the accommodation front though they are probably perfect for a days fishing. It's really difficult to try and hit as many of the primary requirements as I can even loosely within budget.

Does anyone have a bayliner 245 or 255 in the UK that could explain to how how they deal with the open cockpit scenario and if it's possible to even leave the marina with the cover on. If not it's probably not going to be much use apart from the odd day a year where it just maybe sunny and warm enough to use it with the cover off.

Either way I'm still probably going to get a boat so anymore advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

SnaxMuppet

Plymouth, Devon, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Uni
Visit site
When I looked for a boat I really wanted an S23 but I went through exactly the same thought process as you... open cockpit... English weather... in the end I decided I really wanted the ability to get inside out of the wind/rain ahead of the extra accommodation. I felt that I would probably only really appreciate the extra accommodation a few times a year but I would always appreciate the ability to operate the boat in the warm and dry most of the time I used it!

Good luck with your search. Also, remember that if you buy a good example then in the age of boats you are likely to be looking at it will have probably bottomed out in price so in a year of two, if you find it isn't the one for you, you would probably be able to sell pretty much at the price you bought it for so there is little risk. Just get a good one to start with... that is the key IMO.

CLB

Visit site
I have an open cockpit boat and rarely take the covers down. With them up, it's like having a wheelhouse boat, but with the option to open the boat up on those very rare days when you need it. Some boats have the front and back half of the canopies separate so you can leave the front up for protection, but take the back down so you have an open cockpit for fishing etc. Some old US sportsboats have really clear back decks and with the split canopy, would be good for this kind of use. Take a look at A 1989 Bayliner 2455 to see what I mean. Probably too old for you, but you could pick one of these up for circa £10k and it will do everthing on your list. Could be a cheap way of seeing if it's fir you. Doubt you would lose much, if anything, if it didn't work out. Downsides are that it will be V8 petrol powered, so a bit juicy, and you would need to find a really well maintained one for your reliability requirement, as many of these old boats are a bit doggy now.

Ferris

Visit site
The only boat that I can think of with the (diesel) performance, galley, 4 berths and hardtop is an Aquador 26ht but I cant find any under 36k. They did a 22ht which is more of a dayboat but cheaper. Good seaboats however.

www.pbsbac.co.uk
The Karnic 2460 would do all you ask. I had one for 7 years and had loads of family fun. She would do 32 knots flat out, cruise at 20 knots and easily pull out a skier. The front convertible bed was comfortable for 2 with another double berth under the helm. Others that may suit would be american walk around sports fishers such as Trophy and the like

dave748

Visit site
Thanks Guys,

Looked at all of the above boats, for most of them though I'd have put my hand a lot deeper into my pockets but it's defiantly something to bare in mind and at least now I know what it's going to cost to tick all my boxes and what to look for if I go down that route. Apart from the Aquador they all seem very similar in layout, size and options it only seems to be the age that makes a difference to the price for the most part, not the make. That been said if anyone can suggest any others I'd be interested in taking a look anyway.

Thanks so far.

dave748

Visit site
Just a question guys, I found this and wondered if you wouldn't mind taking a glance?

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Cabin-cruiser-for-sale/sealine-218-envoy/175159

It's an older boat but seems in good condition with a new engine, accommodation, decent speed etc and looks like a reasonable price considering the work it's had done recently. I'm just thinking it maybe a good starter boat just for a couple of years and may hold it's value in that time too as long as I look after it, which I most certainly would. Can you envisage any issues with a boat like this, as in an older hull, in this case 27 years but still looking in good nick.

Ninia

Visit site
Hi Dave,
I don't have any experience with the Sealine however I did go through exactly the same buying process 2 years ago, I wanted a boat for coastal cruising, fishing and occasional overnights. I eventually bought a Quicksilver 705 after looking at Beneteau and Merry Fishers and many others. The main reason was the size of the cabin / wheelhouse, it can seat 4 in comfort, has a usable table and decent double berth.
In reality the perfect, sunny cruising days are rare, I fitted a Webasto heater and that made a huge difference, the boat gets used in comfort all year round. I have had some great days out in the winter and have used the boat a lot more than I would have done without it.
As far as depreciation goes I think that the initial owner takes the big hit, as long as the boat is well maintained after that the values hold up well. My 705 was bought new for over 50k, I paid about half of that ( it only had 18 hours when I bought it!!) and would hope to sell it for about the same amount.
Good luck with your search and pm me if you need any more info.

dave748

Visit site
Hi Dave,
I don't have any experience with the Sealine however I did go through exactly the same buying process 2 years ago, I wanted a boat for coastal cruising, fishing and occasional overnights. I eventually bought a Quicksilver 705 after looking at Beneteau and Merry Fishers and many others. The main reason was the size of the cabin / wheelhouse, it can seat 4 in comfort, has a usable table and decent double berth.
In reality the perfect, sunny cruising days are rare, I fitted a Webasto heater and that made a huge difference, the boat gets used in comfort all year round. I have had some great days out in the winter and have used the boat a lot more than I would have done without it.
As far as depreciation goes I think that the initial owner takes the big hit, as long as the boat is well maintained after that the values hold up well. My 705 was bought new for over 50k, I paid about half of that ( it only had 18 hours when I bought it!!) and would hope to sell it for about the same amount.
Good luck with your search and pm me if you need any more info.

Thanks Ninia,

I've looked at the Quicksilver 705's, very nice boat indeed and something I would love to own, but here is my problem. It's likely I'll only use it in the summer and probably dry stack it in the winter, I also want it for entertaining. Not that you can't do with with a Quicksilver 705 but a sports cruiser is kinda made for it, also, I need my wife to buy into the idea of me getting a boat which means she needs to like it and find it useful too. Personally I'd sleep on a slab of concrete but I think she would like something more open, homely and comfortable and I'm sorry to say when it comes to these things the 705 can't compete. For fishing I'd make do dangling over the side or stood on the back, not as nice and as easy as a 705 or that style of boat for sure but it would be OK for me and maybe one or two others. I'll keep looking and try and make my mind up soon, I think really I should start with something cheeper that won't lose too much value just to see how it goes and if I get really into it go for something more like your 705 or a sports cruiser as I'd likely have a better idea of what I want by then and how I'd use it.