navionics terrain layer removed

danyb

Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new on this forum.
I'm looking for support and I also want to compare my experience using navionics app on phone, tablet and web.
I'm very disappointed with the last update. I don't have anymore what I paid for. Garmin is actually removing many functionality every some time.
I use this app from about 10 years, for work and for fun. I've seen all the changes during the garmin transaction.
The original app was so good that I use it everywhere, also on land . I loved the terrain layer combined to the sonar .

With the last update they removed the terrain layer.

The option available now for the terrain are satellite or no layer. Bing satelite and terrain layer have been removed

I wrote to garmin:
"
Thank you for contacting Garmin Navionics,
As stated in the previous response, the terrain overlay is a land based layer, and the Boating app is primarily a marine navigational tool.
We do understand your disappointment because of not being able to access the overlay when you have been expecting this to be a continuous feature.

However, all our Terms & Conditions include the statement “Navionics reserves the right to amend periodically these CGV by publishing an updated version on the Services. The use of the Services after publishing said amendments will determine the acceptance of the same.”. You can view the full T&C using the following link: Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen (AGB) | Garmin. This same page is shown when consulting the T&C in any release/version of our Boating app (Menu > Settings > Information).
Best regards, "

So basically they are telling me that I'm using the app I paid for in the wrong way?
How ,removing maps from a navigation system can be an improvement?

I'm about to abandon this app. Do you guys have any suggestion for a complete app with marine sonar chart and proper terrain layer details?

Thank you

Daverw

Visit site
Most find that Navionics give us most of what need to supplement paper or chartplotter, many just use the app and find it just works, especially for the low cost, I’ve never considered looking at using it first land based navigation

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Hello and Welcome

I suppose we all navigate in different ways, but the last thing I want to see is the terrain layer on a chart or map.

The beauty of charts and maps is that they simplify a complex amount of data in order to give the user a diagrammatic representation of the world about them.

fredrussell

Visit site
I just wish Navionics would get with the times and incorporate saucy ladies in bikinis into their app, you know, like the rest of the internet/boating world.

dunedin

Visit site
Hello and Welcome

I suppose we all navigate in different ways, but the last thing I want to see is the terrain layer on a chart or map.

The beauty of charts and maps is that they simplify a complex amount of data in order to give the user a diagrammatic representation of the world about them.
Well actually ……

(A) When anchoring, or indeed often when sailing, it is wise to look at the contours of the land to see whether they may funnel gusts towards the boat; and

(B) RIN, CA, RYA, Tom Cunliffe and others have recommended that boat chart systems should retain shore information and landmarks, to assist with position lines and transits etc, especially necessary in the event of GNSS failure.