Navik vane - 30ft...

snowbrushy

Visit site
I have a modern 30ft. sloop with a fin keel. 8,000lb's; similar to a Yamaha 30. I am wondering if a Navik Wind Vane would be suitable for my boat. My local supplier of French Navik's in San Francisco tell's me that it may not be enough vane for a 30' boat. Navik's are usually used on small boat's. However, I sense that he is trying to sell me a more expensive vane from his own company. I want a vane that will work on most point's of sail and in possibly rough sea condition's. Would a Navik work on my sloop? Anyone have opinion's or experience with a Navik on a 30ft. or larger boat? Thank's in advance, Snow

G

Had one on the back of my Eventide 26' came back from france in a F7 it loved it the windier it gets the quicker it responds a autohelm could not keep pace with it. In france I saw one on the back of a 32' last year.

charles_reed

Visit site
I've used a Navik on my 31' for the last 4 years.

If you have a quick boat that will surf you need to be aware that NO windvane will work on a surfing boat- that's why you'll not see them on the back of any single-handed racer.
The Navik has the advantage that, with the Pacific Light, it weighs less than any other windvane.
As has already been pointed out, the faster you go the more effectively it works - in fact sufficient power to steer the boat will be the least of your problems, but that it has in common with all servo-paddle windvanes.

For that reason I can't understand your supplier's contention (unless he's Hans) in which case he'd prefer to sell you a Monitor.
Because it is so light the Navik is fragile and this lack of robustness is probably its biggest drawback.
Mine works from about 7 kt apparent wind, below that there is insufficient wind to effectively balance the vane, there's probably no top windspeed in which it wouldn't work, however if you get into reasonably (>F6) heavy seas, the safety catch keeps tripping and the vane arm flips up. The paddle is then virtually uncontrollable and ends up smashing the main aluminum casting, unless you get it out of the water quickly (and it will quite easily smash your arm as well).
I'd say the Navik is great for boats up to 9m LWL, the drawback for bigger boats isn't its power, but rather its structural reserves. It works in wind speeds from 7 kts, is far more sensitive and seakindly than any electric autopilot.
However I only use mine on open sea passages - it's difficult to set it to steer an exact compass course and if I was asked to choose between the Autohelm 4000 tiller pilot and the Navik, I'd say the latter (at a similar price) is more practical.
If you make a number of long offshore passages and are concerned about minimising electrical consumption it would be well up my list of necessities.

Why don't you have a look at Peter Forthmann's book on self-steering for sailing boats, despite having a vested interest (he supplies the Pacific range of vane-gears) it's quite an authoritative survey.
I rate Hans' Monitor highly, and his pre/after sales service is good - however the gear is heavy and expensive.
Plastimo's QA is poor - however the girls at Lorient are very willing and helpful.

If there are any specific questions you would like answered contact me by e-mail through the board.

romany123

Visit site
I'm sorry I can't help you with Navik, but I personally use a Hydrovane, and find it brilliant on most points of sail and weather conditions.
Dave

G

I looked at the Navik for my 30' Albin Ballad, but decided that the thing was just too flimsy. Ended up with a Monitor. The dog's whotsits in my opinion.

je1

Visit site
I owned a Contessa 32 for ten years, having fitted it with a very early model Navik.
Navik, via Clamcleats Ltd, requested a report on its performance during its first trip. In short, the performance, once I had adjusted it, was perfect.

I selected it because at that time (about 1970) it seemed to be the only gear whose vane operated a small servo tab on its vane which then operated the tiller via suitably routed cordage, thus making it a very powerful syatem.

It was also commendably light and cheap. I would without doubt select it for your type of boat.

hans

Visit site
See you have already received quite a few replies. I have no experience with the Navik. However I know Egil Lindberg ("Lindy") of the yacht "Framanjo" sailed around the globe on a slow circumnavigation a few years ago using a Navik. The circumnavigation included rounding Cape Horn, and Lindy single-handed. "Framanjo" is a rather cumbersome steel Bruce-Robertson 36, still Lindy claims to have been delighted with the Navik. Then again he is a very patient man, and also very prudent with his money. He has the last 6 years been based aboard his yacht in Longyearbyen in Spitsbergen at 78 degrees north.

On outfitting our 31 "Monsun" last year we deleted the Navik from our list, as most advice was that it was insufficient for our 5 ton, long keeled Monsun. I have sailed for 10 years with an Aries - very happy about this except for chafe on the lines to the tiller where they pass through the "A-frame". The Monitor we found very expensive, and also theres`s an awful lot of pipe-work on the back of your yacht. We settled for the Windpilot Pacific, and are very happy with it after the summers cruise up to Spitsbergen.

Good luck in your choice!

Hans Jakob Valderhaug
Tromsø, Norway