Navigators ad General Insurance - any experience, good, bad or indifferent?

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I have been with the same broker for 12 years. On renewal this month, they have advised they are changing to Navigators and General - which is part of the Zurich.

Anyone out there had any good or bad experiences to share before I sign Up?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I have been with the same broker for 12 years. On renewal this month, they have advised they are changing to Navigators and General - which is part of the Zurich.

Anyone out there had any good or bad experiences to share before I sign Up?

I had been with N&G for many many years until a couple ago; found that they were good on costs and response to claims, but they appeared to only have half the required staff on on any day plus only responding every other day to questions = lack of response

I mentioned that when approaching a BRoker and they agreed stating that they experienced similar lack of response

But guess as these Insurance Companies keep on a sort of Merry go Around being bought out by each other sort of Willy Nilly its a case of test n see

A grandfatherv was a Broker for N&G back in the 30 and 40 and 50s they were a good Boat insurance company back then but Boat Insurance appears to change by the tyear if not the day, so anyones guess now

Concerto

Visit site
Never had to make a claim with them in 6 years, so cannot comment on that.

However it is the insurance company recommended by the Westerly Owners Association to members. For me I like having singlehanded cover up to 24 hours, plus tender and outboard insurance included.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Although I did not use N&G this year might try them again at renewal time; they N&G have always seemed to me to be a real Boating Insurance Company, who knew what was what when talking Boats and requirements; always when I made 2 claims in last 5 years, both of Theft from moored up boat they treated me respectfully and honestly, being prepared to adapt their Claims Offers to settle if I accepted haggling and accepting a certain loss in one way but accepted a gain in another

Yep so gona try them this year with my Boats

richardsn9

Visit site
I have used them for many years and found them to be very good, including handling a claim very smoothly. They were very flexible during the first lockdown, when the boat had to stay afloat delaying some yard work recommended by the surveyor. So I would certainly recommend them.
However, the point about their current response issues with email etc is also true, they are either undermanned or struggling with remote working at present.

Leighb

Visit site
Been insured with them for many years, had several claims and cannot fault them in the way they were dealt with, they may not be the cheapest but I have no complaints.

C08

Visit site
I have been with them about 14 years and I am quite impressed with their service. I had my boat broken into around 2014 and they responded immediately to my claim. were happy for me to self repair the broken door etc and did not question my estimatesfor stuff stolen(strangely 3 sailing jackets and lifejackets but left radio, plotter etc), I also bumped the boat berthed next to me 2018 when my engine cut out and they dealt with his insurance claim very well. Also they have not required frequent, expensive surveys. My last survey was 2007 on a 45 year old GRP cat but that may because it is low value cover ( £22k boat). I have always found they replied to contact immediately and cannot fault their customer communications.

Quandary

Visit site
Navigators is the marine trading name of Zurich, one of the big companies, you are dealing with an insurer rather than a brokerage. I have used them for years, little experience of claims but they offer fair value, treat you like an adult and have never asked me for a survey.

iain789

Visit site
I was insured by Craftinsure, an on-line company underwritten by N&G. I had a severe fire on board in 2019 leading to the boat being declared a total loss. Craftinsure passed the claim to N&G who dealt with the process. The whole experience was very smooth, and the claim handler was very sympathetic and helpful. The claim was settled in just over two weeks (for a high five figure sum). I couldn't imagine a better or swifter response to a very distressing situation.

Halo

Visit site
I suggest you read the small print. I have been with them for many years but am moving on because despite the fact that my area of coverage is from Elbe to La Rocellle and Ireland they only cover up to 12 miles off shore so you can’t sail across to the EU directly except at Dover. I phoned to check this point and the agent confirmed that the 12 mile limit applies even up and down the coast - so I am uninsured in a straight line from Flamborough to Lowestoft. My new policy covers sailing between any port within the specified area.

zazu

Visit site
I have been with N & G for 20 years. Firstly direct as I knew somebody there and latterly through Coleman Insurance brokers in Poole.
I have had 3 claims. Two for theft and one for major mechanical damage. Each one has been dealt with professionally and quickly and claims paid promptly. The mechanical damage claim was paid direct to the repair yard in Guernsey.
I am very pleased and will stay with them.

ILA

Visit site
I was with N&G through the Westerly Owners Association for many years. In June 2019 my boat was written off in an accident on a Saturday morning. The emergency response was fast and reassuring and I was paid the full amount insured by the following Friday. Great service.

C08

Visit site
I suggest you read the small print. I have been with them for many years but am moving on because despite the fact that my area of coverage is from Elbe to La Rocellle and Ireland they only cover up to 12 miles off shore so you can’t sail across to the EU directly except at Dover. I phoned to check this point and the agent confirmed that the 12 mile limit applies even up and down the coast - so I am uninsured in a straight line from Flamborough to Lowestoft. My new policy covers sailing between any port within the specified area.
Are you sure about that, is your policy a standard N&G Yacht Insurance - I cannot find any reference to 12m offshore in my N&G policy documents , only the Elbe/La Rochelle reference?

Halo

Visit site
Are you sure about that, is your policy a standard N&G Yacht Insurance - I cannot find any reference to 12m offshore in my N&G policy documents , only the Elbe/La Rochelle reference?

Policy document Page 13 Section A (Acidental damage Cover) third bullet point

"afloat on inland and coastal waters, up to 12 nautical miles offshore, of the United Kingdom and Europe."

Boathook

Visit site
I'm with N&G and my permitted cruising range is UK, Eire, CI , Brest to Elbe, etc and there is not a mention of inshore waters. When I spoke to them last week before renewal I did query the 12 mile bit and I was informed dthat I was covered sailing the waters between any point. I will check up with them again for my own benefit.

Edit bit. Just looked at my policy document and there is no mention of 12 miles in it. Does it mention it in the policy schedule in the permitted cruising range section Halo ?

Last edited:

C08

Visit site

"afloat on inland and coastal waters, up to 12 nautical miles offshore, of the United Kingdom and Europe."
That is interesting - I have just examined my policy document (Yacht and Motorboat Policy ) and it does not have any reference 12 miles from the coast of Uk orEurope or refernce to inland waters. I wonder whether there are different N&G Policies?
Thank you for raising this as whilst looking at the document it has brought to my attention a clause requiring my attachment to a kill cord when the motor is engaged. This is clearly intended for small motor boats but as my main engine is a 25hp outboard on a cat I will run by N&G that it is not normal to attach a kill cord on the helm of a 4 ton catamaran!

NotBirdseye

Visit site
I'm with them too...

Can't comment on how good they are, but the price seemed reasonable as well as the conditions. This is in comparison to Tower, that made my blood turn to ice and then fire when I received their quote. (Seriously, the cheek of it!)

Concerto

Visit site

I hate to disagree with you, but the policy document provided for my insurance is different than the one you are quoting. See page 13 and there is no mention of the 12 nautical miles offshore limit.
file:///C:/Users/justp/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/Q7C5LWBU/Yacht_and_Motorboat_Policy.pdf

My Policy Schedule has this statement of Warranted Cruising Range, again no limit of 12 miles.
"Waters of the United Kingdom including Channel Islands and Isle of Man and Northern Ireland/Eire/The Continent of Europe from Brest to the River Elbe including Continental Inland Waterways North of 46 degrees 30 minutes North and West of 10 degrees East."

So, Halo I can only state you are wrong unless you have taken out the wrong policy for your boat, e.g. a river craft.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
I hate to disagree with you, but the policy document provided for my insurance is different than the one you are quoting. See page 13 and there is no mention of the 12 nautical miles offshore limit.
file:///C:/Users/justp/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/Q7C5LWBU/Yacht_and_Motorboat_Policy.pdf

My Policy Schedule has this statement of Warranted Cruising Range, again no limit of 12 miles.
"Waters of the United Kingdom including Channel Islands and Isle of Man and Northern Ireland/Eire/The Continent of Europe from Brest to the River Elbe including Continental Inland Waterways North of 46 degrees 30 minutes North and West of 10 degrees East."

So, Halo I can only state you are wrong unless you have taken out the wrong policy for your boat, e.g. a river craft.

Please consider uploading the file to Onedrive and share from there (or another cloud service of your choosing). We can't access your local server without at least an extrenal ip address. (Which I don't suggest providing except via pm to those you trust).

Other threads that may be of interest