Nav Gear Update

Wavey

Visit site
The original owner of my boat obviously decided the location of the chart plotter should be such that's it's more useful to the guy on the boat next door than the helmsman :) . That and the fact that the screen coating has deteriorated so badly that it's almost impossible to see the display at an angle means it's time for a change. The question is if I'm going to change the screen (which I guess means opting for a multi function display) then how much of the other kit will need to be changed at the same time. It's also going to need some minor surgery to blank off and cut new holes for my preferred layout.

Essentially I need someone to come to the boat and review what I've got and my options. If it's not going to cost and arm and both legs then I do it now, but if not then it'll be a case of booking them for the end of the season as my to-do list seems to be getting longer my the day.

Currently all kit on board is Raymarine so I guess with a view to re-using some kit it's best to stick with that brand. Based in Southampton I need someone reasonably local. Hudson Marine at Mercury Yacht Harbour seem to have a very good web site but before I contact them has anyone here used them or any other recommendations who to talk to.

Many thanks.

Jurgen

Visit site
Don't know about the other manufacturers but the new Raymarine MFD's don't like legacy instruments i.e Auto Helm, Radar etc.

Depending on what you have it might be cheaper to buy a second hand version of your current plotter, alternatively get the credit card out and enjoy your new toys Woop

P.S, Hudson give very god service and are competitive, have used them once myself for the supply and fix of a Raymarine EV200 Auto Pilot system then asked the dealer who sold us our current boat to use Hudson to install the same on our new boat.

Wavey

Visit site
Thanks Jurgen. I had a feeling the newer kit might not be compatible with the current ranges. I'll arrange to pop round to Hudson later in the season to have a chat. If I do upgrade, which I guess means everything I've got at the moment will need to be replaced, then it's a job for the winter when I don't mind the boat being unavailable to use while the work's done.

In the meantime everybody's friend Google has provided lots of info on the deterioration of the screen coating caused by cleaning it with pretty much anything other than the cloth that came with the unit originally. Although it will still be in the wrong position for me, at least if I remove the remainder of the coating it should help, and just maybe I can find an anti-glare film to put on it to help with the problem of direct sunlight on the screen.