Nasa Clipper Wind NMEA 0183 output (TX)

Kemp

Visit site
It is mind-boggling how bad Nasa marine manuals are.

Any idea how to make NMEA 0183 output (TX) from Clipper Wind +Repeater to Garmin GPSMAP 700? In spec they claim Clipper Wind has 'NMEA 0183 output - MWV string', but no info about cable colors or how to make such connection.

TSB240

Visit site
Seems pretty simple to me RTFM!

About - Nasa Marine Instruments › ...PDF
Web results
Clipper Wireless Wind - Nasa Marine

MHU connected by three wires to base unit base unit which then has separate dedicated nmea output for use by other repeaters.

Haven't a clue what your Garmin has in the way of spare ports. I expect If you googled the model with PDF after it in the search bar you could find the answer In the manual for it.

Kemp

Visit site
I think you are talking about V2 version with 3 wires. I have 5 wires from the mast unit to the base unit and 3 wires from the base unit to the repeater. So I need to know wire color for NMEA 0183 output (TX). Nasa has some cables for sale, but one is 3 wires, another one 2, but I could not find any pin schematics.

Clipper Wind NMEA Output cable (5 metre for MK1 five wire masthead systems) - Nasa Marine Instruments
Clipper Wind NMEA output connector (25cm) - Nasa Marine Instruments

Garmin GPSMAP 700 has 2 NMEA 0183 port. There is possibility to set standard 4800 baud rate or high speed 38400 baud rate on both. Also I can connect it to Camino-108 AIS with 2 ports.

Garmin700.png

Last edited:

TSB240

Visit site
Without any more information I would choose the first one as this is specific for the mk1 five wire unit. It only has two wires so you have a 50% chance of connecting it right first time. I would simply trial connecting this to either brown port 1 or violet port 2 and black on the Garmin cable.

If it doesn't work first time round try swapping connections. I have never caused a single component failure by doing this In all the time I have played with serial or nmea connections. I very much doubt the comms set up will be at anything other than 4800 baud.

I suspect the 3 cable version provides a 12 volt power connection (red) a 0v or ground connection (blue) and a signal for nmea output (black). It is short in length and would be useful for connecbting to another adjacent repeater to provide both power and nmea. I agree it would be very useful if NASA were to publish this information but a multimeter could help you check this.

Mixing the 12v with serial comms connections is not a great idea!

Steve.

Kemp

Visit site
Got reply from NASA and they claim NMEA output cable is BLUE on a cable from base unit to reapeater.

In fact NMEA output cable is WHITE and BLUE is +12v with BRIDE to be GND. Go figure! So finally I get wind data in Garmin GPSMAP 700.

Tried to feed wind data to Simrad AP16 autopilot, but no response both directly and via Garmin output.