Name of male/female to female/male electrical connector for low voltage

Oily Rag

Visit site
Apologies, but I don't have a name or a photo of what I need. It's a fairly flat connector that will pass through a slot. For use with solar panel.
Many thanks. 😊

William_H

Visit site
It is not clear if OP needs a pair of connectors in which case any of the above suggested would be fine. If he has one end and wants to match the connector then only a photo will do for identification. The MC4 is the standard for solar panels in domestic arrays where voltages can be 350v (panels in series) they have an individual connector for each wire male for one female for other so the panels can be connected together. ol'will

Neeves

Visit site
Being a 'plug neophyte' I had a thread on Anderson plugs. Anderson Plugs

In view of the plethora of plugs quoted here - some one in the know should have a thread on, all, plugs. Simply names and the positive and negative attributes. :)

Jonathan

fredrussell

Visit site
MC4 are great except when you’re only installing one panel and use lower mm2 cable than MC4 plugs designed for. Then the seal on cable doesn’t seal properly.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Ive got to say I don't like MC4's but they are the standard for solar. Anyone got an alternative they would recommend for panels that are likely to be unplugged and stowed periodically?

Geoff Wode

Visit site
I haven’t really enjoyed MC4s, either.

I want to connect a portable folding panel to the boat’s pretty basic electrical system, ideally via deck gland. I’m not sure MC4 would be convenient.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
On my basic Photonic universe install of a single permanent panel on the coach roof my MC4s are inside the boat after the deck gland. But I also use a portable folding panel with connections close to the battery, I can shut the boat up reasonably well and have the leads pass via the companionway boards. When I talked to Photonic universe I was told there is no obligation to use MC4s, as long as the connectors used are sized appropriately....

Oily Rag

Visit site
Many thanks all. I should have been clearer in my query. Sorry.
The solar panel is on a flying lead, so I need to be able to connect and disconnect fairly quickly, down next to the batteries. I had seen something with round pins and sockets, but the Anderson Powerpole looks better.
Much appreciated. Thanks again.

Neeves

Visit site
Many thanks all. I should have been clearer in my query. Sorry.
The solar panel is on a flying lead, so I need to be able to connect and disconnect fairly quickly, down next to the batteries. I had seen something with round pins and sockets, but the Anderson Powerpole looks better.
Much appreciated. Thanks again.
I'm not sure what an Anderson Power Pole is (I'll look it up later) but you can source water proof Andersons and sealed housing for Andersons used for caravans and 4x4s (so maybe Halfords or caravan shops). My solars have been supplied with 'normal' Andersons. I have extended cables and use solder for the Andersons rather than crimping, as suggested by someone in my thread, see earlier post. A cheap source for Andersons is Temu.

Jonathan

Tillana

Visit site
I've used Tamiya type (RC car battery) connectors on board for connecting my instrument panel power to allow me to remove over winter. Any use?

Neeves

Visit site
Bulgin Buccaneer
Looking from an Australian perspective...

They might be highly rated but....

They are not cheap

If you want cheap, quick release, reliable connectors - have the connector below deck and then you only need worry about the reliability of a permanent connection above deck (where something as simple as amalgamating tape might suffice)..

Jonathan

PaulRainbow

Visit site