Mystery OMC Outdrive

Petra20

Visit site
Hello, I am rebuilding what I believe is an OMC Cobra Lower Unit.
The image is of the ID plate that is attached to the Upper Unit.
SDC13734_.jpg

The parts in the lower unit included:
Pinion Gear: 337524 14T
Forward Gear: 987820 26T 1979 possibly
Reverse Gear: 910994 1982 - 1989 V6 V8
Clutch Dog: 914716 Sierra 18-2383 Sliding Clutch 1990 - 1993
Prop Shaft: 395209 1-3/16" Propeller Shaft Found on OMC Cobra & Johnson Evinrude 1984-1990

The unit would not stay in reverse and on inspection it was found that the dogs of the reverse gear and clutch were badly rounded.
Looking at the part numbers it appears that both the clutch dog and reverse gear had been replaced previously.
However the Shift Cradle and Lever had significant ware, which I suspect caused the damage to the dogs due to the amount of slop in the system.

I have acquired a new set of gears as listed below and a new Shift Lever and Cradle.
986656 — GEAR SET (INCLUDES FORWARD & PINION) 0987670 - Gear Set, Forward & Pinion
914726 — GEAR, REVERSE 1990 - 1993
914716 Clutch Dog: Sierra 18-2383 Sliding Clutch 1990 - 1993

Also the retainer plate was seriously distorted, but I have sourced a good used item plus circlips.

Re-assembly has been going OK until I came to torque up the propshaft bearing carrier.
At about 4Nm the propshaft becomes resistant to turn and I suspect the forward and reverse gears are pinching the thrust faces of the propshaft.

My question is, am I on a hiding to nothing trying to fit these gears to this Lower Unit or do I need a thinner thrust washer under the reverse gear?
I am considering trying some Plastigauge between the bearing carrier and the circlip to gauge the point at which the propshaft begins to bind and calculate the correct thrust washer thickness and allow for a little end play.

The forward gear and pinion appear to be OK judging by the contact pattern.

Any help gratefully received.

spannerman

Visit site
You will always need to shim the gears when introducing new parts to an existing gear housing as there are variations in machining of the parts which is accommodated by different shim thickness. There will be a procedure in the manual as to how you do this step by step, the only parts I have found that are consistently the same in all the Mercruiser and Volvo drives I have rebuilt are the bearings which have very good quality control.