My ideal 30 foot yacht

Malo37

Visit site
High quality build, two full size comfortable berths, separate shower, decent galley, diesel inboard, medium keel and skeg hung rudder, medium displacement, self tacking jib, good sailing performance, modest draft.
Considering downsizing - does such a boat exist?

Tranona

Visit site
Sadler 290 gets close, but rarely for sale. Go up a size and Southerly 32, but you need to consider lift keel and twin rudders. HR 310 for recent build or older 31 meet most, but not self tacking.

doug748

Visit site
Being a newbe to this bobbing alone malarkey. .Can u not add self tacking to a boat with out it ?

Yes you can but it takes a bit of vim out of the performance. Given that it will be difficult to meet all of the criteria that might be a possibility.

As suggested, the smaller Rassy boats look somewhere near.

Kelpie

Visit site
We've got an after-market self tacker, installed by the previous owner. It can be useful, but as it has no camber in light winds you have to give it a nudge as it stops half way across the track. Still less effort than grinding on a winch.
I am planning to buy a larger hank-on genoa to fit onto the removable inner forestay, to supplement the self tacker.

Babylon

Visit site
Vancouvers get close but are terribly slow; it depends if you want a travelling machine or something rewarding to sail.

Dear Parish Idiot

Your constant need to denigrate others does you little credit.

Sept 2012, Vancouver 27 running up-Channel past Start point in a SW5:

2012:9 Start Point2.jpg2012:9 Start Point1.jpg

Spyro

Visit site
High quality build, two full size comfortable berths, separate shower, decent galley, diesel inboard, medium keel and skeg hung rudder, medium displacement, self tacking jib, good sailing performance, modest draft.
Considering downsizing - does such a boat exist?

30 ft with a separate shower. I doubt you'll find that. Space is a premium on a boat that size and the heads usually just have a enough to squeeze in a toilet and sink.

G12

Visit site
Vancouvers get close but are terribly slow; it depends if you want a travelling machine or something rewarding to sail.

That's a bit harsh on the Vancouver I think. Sure, definitely built for cruising but they are by no means "terribly" slow.

I own one, so I do know.

Seajet

Visit site
Yes, I thought so too - but then Seajet has form when it comes to opening his mouth without first engaging his brain-cell!

;)

Vancouvers are high volume, high cost, high drag and relatively low speed jobs for their length.

Around here ( their birthplace ) they tend to be used as status symbols in the same way that RangeRovers are bought for the school run...

I remember having an extremely arrogant & rude Vancouver alongside at Itchenor, as if trying to excuse his ignorance he said in the morning " we have huge water tanks under the bunks " to which the only possible reply was ' that should slow it down even more then '.

Re the log reading, how much of that was tide ? I have a similar pic of my Dad's Centaur doing 13 knots - in the Alderney Race ! :)