my email to my MP

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Re:A letter!!

So, the lobbying does help, perhaps only in a small way... but it does help..

it'll be interesting to see if my letter of response is identical...

Also, our addresses are now marked as political troublemakers, so come the revolution, stay away from walls......./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Re:A letter!!

Got a response today.....

Dear Andrew,

Thank your for your letter of 24 January to Dawn Primarolo enclosing correspondence from your constituent, Mr (my name) of (my address) about the taxation of fuel used by private craft. I am replying as Minister responsible.

As Mr (my name) will know, private pleasure craft with diesel engines are entitled to use rebayted gas oil or red diesel, which is specially marked to distinguish it from diesel used as road fuel. This diesel bears a reduced rate of excise duty of 6.44 pence per litre compared with 47.10 pence per litre for road diesel used on the roads. Red diesel can also be used in certain off-road vehicles, such as most agricultural vehicles and machinery; vehicles employed in motorway construction; forestry, mining and quarrying; and diesel locomotives, as well as commercially and privately owned boats.

Under the relevant European agreements(currently the Energy Products Directive, which came into effect on 1 January 2004), fuel used by private pleasure craft is normally taxable at the same rate as the equivalent road fuel. Howeve, the United Kingdom enjoys a derogation from this provision, and this allows private pleasure craft to use red diesel. This derogation is due to expire on 31 December 2006, but as we announced at the Pre-Budget Report, the UK is minded to apply for an extension and will issue an initial regulatory impact assessment on the effects of ending the derogation to be published at the Budget. This document will then be used as the basis for further information gathering and discussions.

I can assure you that Mr (my name)s' views will be taken into consideration, along with other relevant economic, social and environmental factors, when we take decisions on the future duty treatment of red diesel for use in pleasure craft in the run up to the expiry of the current derogation in 2006.

I hope this helps you to respond to Mr (my name).

Look familiar?

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Re: A letter!!

Another letter from my MP.

BTW, I never did get an acknowledgement from Matthew Taylor! Wasn't he Shadow Chancellor??

Anyway, to my letter from Andrew George.

"Dear Mr Stevens,

Re: RED DIESEL

I have recently received a copy of a letter sent to you by my Liberal Democrat Parliamentary colleague - Julia Goldsworthy MP - in respect of your enquiry to her about Red Diesel.

As she points out, if there are specific issues you wish to pursue in respect of this or any other matter then I would be pleased to hear from you.
(This sounds like a bollocking for contacting Julia Goldsworthy!)

On the basis of the initial request raised, I should point out that I do not disagree with Julia Goldsworthy's remarks. I am certainly aware that the very significant increase in fuel prices over the last year have had a detrimental impact on the financial liability of many commercial fishing companies in this area and, therefore, any additional burden placed on the industry, before they have had an opportunity to reinvest in more expensive fuel efficient technologies would be serverly detrimental.

Clearly, the benefits of this tax deduction should be primarily directed at those often struggling primary industries of fishing and farming. Continuing this <u>"effective subsidy" to recreational activity</u> may prove to be much more difficult to sustain.

With good wishes.

Yours sincerely,

(signature of Andrew George MP)

My highlight and underline - doesn't sound too promising from him.

He is from agricultural beginnings, and I don't think he is a "boater".
His bio - http://www.libdems.org.uk/party/people/mr-andrew-george.html

AdeOlly

Visit site

Subsidy indeed - what planet are these people on to reach that conclusion?

I suspect that the next bit of news we'll hear on this will be in the imminent budget. Three months now since Brown said they were 'minded' to apply for renewal of the derogation subject to validating the data supporting the case. If no mention of it in the budget, I would think that's very bad news....

Anybody know if any of the other countries with derogation have applied for an extension, and if so with what results?

SimonC

Visit site

As we understand it (information is quite hard to come by):

In Finland, MPs are currently debating whether to ask for an extension to the derogation.
In Belgium, they have or are going to ask for an extension.
Ireland and Malta we just don't know about.

It is believed that the more countries ask for an extension, the better our chances.

Simon

SimonC

Visit site

Agreed.

From the UK's point of view, rumour has it that the Government's "impact assessment" will be published along with the Budget (22 March), which will then be the document that is sent to the European Commission...

Fingers crossed.

S