my email to my MP

JasB

Visit site
Sent: 19 November 2005 14:14
To: CARSWELL, Douglas
Subject: Red Diesel

Sir,

As MP for a coastal town, I would imagine you might be a bit better informed on this subject than I am:

Would it be possible for you to let me know if the derogation of red diesel will cease in 2007, as I have been told it may do.

I believe the Government has to request an extension for tax exemption from the EU...has this been done?

If the Red diesel for marine use is to disappear, will it also disappear for farmers and non-road vehicles, or is it just for the leisure vehicles/vessels?

If the Red diesel for marine use is to disappear, where will the extra tax money go? The sea does not require the maintenance that the roads do, and the relatively small amount of tax that will be collected will not do much more than pay for the paperwork and policing (I imagine).

Any reply would be gratefully accepted.

Yours

James

JasB

Visit site
his reply...so far

Thanks for your email.

Douglas has written to the Minister to find out, and will let you know as soon as he gets a reply.

<span style="color:red">Doesn't look good, but I'll wait a bit </span>

JasB

Visit site
Re:A letter!!

apparently MY views "...will be taken into consideration when the government make decisions on the future duty treatment of red diesel..."
So, anything you want, ask me, my views will probably swing any decision...do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

Nice one James,

Encouraged me to finally write too....

Here is my E-Mail:

Dear Mr Hayes,

I am told that red diesel as used by the marine and argricultural industry will lose its tax status later this year unless the government applies to the EU for the derogation to be continued.

As a keen sailor, I am somewhat concerned about the effect this may have on the marine industry, as I suspect that the extra tax raised will be small (probably less than the cost of collecting it), yet the impact on the industry significant. The cost of owning a boat may be become unviable for many, hence significantly damaging the micro economy that exists around the boat owner. Only recently it was reported that boating is the second largest participation sport in the UK behind fishing. As the UK is also seen by the world as a leading light in the sport/pastime of boating, this would be a great shame.

If the Red diesel for marine use is to disappear, will it also disappear for farmers and non-road vehicles, or is it just for the leisure vehicles/vessels?

As an MP whose constituents will be affected, certainly by argricultural use, but also (admittedly to a much lesser extent) by marine users (I am aware of a significant number of keen sailors in your constinuentcy area), I would be interested in your views and position on this issue.

Any reply gratefully received

Yours Sincerely

etc etc

fisherman

Visit site

I think the problem is that there are so many diesel vehicles on the road that it's impossible to check for red in the tank, as they used to. So: tax the lot.

cptshed

cornwall,boat moored at Malpas on Truro River
Visit site

Which one didnt ask for your home address?? surely not the great Mr Taylor!!!!
I wrote to him before before the last election,wasnt that promising a response!.

Also noted that Candy Whatsherpants had never raised a question in the commons
regarding red, well... I dont suppose anyone is employed in the marine industry
around Falmouth.

Be interested to hear what they have to say now, not Candy Whatsherpants,
she got booted out.

Nige'

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net

I have had a letter reply to one of my emails, from the office of Andrew George.

"Andrew George MP has asked me to thank you for your recent email regarding the tax status of red diesel.

Mr. George is in his Westminster offive at the moment but has asked me to ensure that his absence does not create unnecessary delays in proceeding with initial enquiries on the incoming casework. Therefore what I have done, on Mr George's behalf, is to take up your concerns with the Paymaster General - Rt. Hon Dawn Primarolo MP.

As soon as we receive any further information we will be in contact with you again."

redglow

Visit site

That doesn't sound very good Dawn P... has already done her best to prevent service companies earning a decent crust by assuming that 95% of turnover is treated as taxable earnings. I should imagine that her first question will be "What is red diesel" and her second "Don't all Mobo owners also try to run their own business - goody goody two birds with one stone" Please don't start me off on this one!
Kev

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

Wahoo..... got a letter back this morning.... saying....

"received your e-mail... and looking into it...."

Progress I guess.....

10yr old daughter was well impressed with a lettter with full House of Commons logo on it turning up in the post!

fireball

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
No real news/info or progress... but I am impressed at the willingness to keep me informed and updated.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats how it works - ownership passed on ... and on ... and on......

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net

Andrew George has sent me another letter, enclosing a reply from John Healey to his Red Diesel enquiry.

I quote:-
Dear Andrew,
Thank your for your letter of 27 January to Dawn Primarolo enclosing correspondence from your constituent, Mr Philip Stevens of (my address) about th taxation of fuel used by private craft. I am replying as Minister responsible.

As Mr Stevens will know, private pleasure craft with diesel engines are entitled to use rebayted gas oil or red diesel, which is specially marked to distinguish it from diesel used as road fuel. This diesel bears a reduced rate of excise duty of 6.44 pence per litre compared with 47.10 pence per litre for road diesel used on the roads. Red diesel can also be used in certain off-road vehicles, such as most agricultural vehicles and machinery; vehicles employed in motorway construction; forestry, mining and quarrying; and diesel locomotives, as well as commercially and privately owned boats.

Under the relevant European agreements(currently the Energy Products Directive, which came into effect on 1 January 2004), fuel used by private pleasure craft is normally taxable at the same rate as the equivalent road fuel. Howeve, the United Kingdom enjoys a derogation from this provision, and this allows private pleasure craft to use red diesel. This derogation is due to expire on 31 December 2006, but as we announced at the Pre-Budget Report, the UK is minded to apply for an extension and will issue an initial regulatory impact assessment on the effects of ending the derogation to be published at the Budget. This document will then be used as the basis for further information gathering and discussions.

I can assure you that Mr Stevens' views will be taken into consideration, along with other relevant economic, social and environmental factors, when we take decisions on the future duty treatment of red diesel for use in pleasure craft in the run up to the expiry of the current derogation in 2006.

I hope this helps you to respond to Mr Stevens.

John Healey MP.