MV Mercantic/Gerda Rarberg/Krosstindur

Dai_Jones

Visit site
First of all Merry Christmas from Hazelbrook NSW.

I am a builder of model boats and I have run into a problem.
Many years ago i built the Billing kit of the Mercantic and she has sailed many miles in the last 25 yrs and after her last major refit should sail for many more.
Reciently I purchased another kit of the same ship but wish to complete her an either the Krosstindur (for which I have a photo extracted from an old copy of Ships Monthly) or the Gerda Rarberg wich was the name of the Krosstindur when she first came to the Faroes.
Can anyone give me either a written description of the colour scheme of either ship or an idea of where I might go to find either photos or again a written description of the colour scheme.
The photo that I have gives the hull and superstructure colours but no details of the deck or funnel colours.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Dai

Dai_Jones

Visit site
Thankyou jmirvine,
There was a good photo of the Krosstindur on one of the web sites which gives me some more detail but unfortunately a different hull colour!
As Ned Kelly said "such is life"
Thanks again,
Dai

sharpnessship

Visit site
Dai

I have a few photo's of Krosstindur that I could e-mail but over the years she did slightly change colours, there were about 11 in this class including the Hanne Dancoast which was lengthened in 1968, also the Mercantic and sister Mercantas changed slightly from the original model including the 2 derricks were straight fore and aft when stowed

also there is another similar class of ship which has a continuos well deck up to the bridge front but are basically the same hull and accomadation and at least 2 of these did time under the Faroes flag

Mike

Dai_Jones

Visit site
Mike,
Thanks for the information. Yes I would like the photos and any information that you could give. My friend and I are about to start building 2 or three "Mercantics" 2X1:50 and 1x1:72. I will be building the 1:72 because I am slightly disabled and cannot put the larger model into the water and it is unfair for my wife to have to come to the lake with me every time I want to sail.
I would like my model to be the Krosstindur or the Gerda Rarberg.
Any information about Hanne Dancoast would also help.

Thanks a lot,
Dai

monster

www.scan-trans.com
I have the Mercantic model in my office. Will look on monday. For more details You might ask the first Owner of the ship, Mercandia Shipping Copenhagen / Mr. Per Henriksen :

MERCANDIA
Prags Boulevard 92-94
2300 København S

Telefon: 3283 0155
Fax: 3283 0150
E-mail: mercandia@vip.cybercity.dk

Good luck / Peter

Dai_Jones

Visit site
Peter,
I contacted Mercandia but they had no details on file of either Mercantic/Mercantas/Gerder Rarberg or Henne Dancoast ( a lengthened member of the Mercantic Class).

Information is still wanted about any of the eleven or so ships to the same basic design as to their colours, ports of regestry, name changes etc.

The first hull, in 1/50 scale, is just about finished and will be painted as the Krosstindur. The photo that Mike Nash sent of her with grey hull, green boot topping and off white upperworks is being followed.

I would like to know how Gerda Rarberg got the severe ding in the bow.

Dai
Thankyou to all who have sent information.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
David,
NUMAST is the Merchant Navy union in the UK. They have an inhouse magazine - NUMAST Telegraph - where you can send a letter requesting any information on the vessels you have mentioned.

You never know, there may be information within NUMAST or one of the readers could help you.

There are two email addresses, one general enquiries and the other for the Telegraph.
enquiries@numast.org
telegraph@numast.org

I was on P&O containerships for 25 years, mainly on the Aussie and Kiwi run. Our main Aussie ports were Freo, Melbourne and Port Botany, with occassional calls to Adelaide.

Good luck in your search.

rgr004

Visit site
good day,
I have been searching for a model of Mercantic for years but was replied by Billing Boat that the model was no longer in production. I recently obtained a copy of the plan that was included in the kit together with pictures showing the building of the model by a Frenchman. My intention is to build the model once the body plan is ready, the plan included in the kit does not mention the lines drawing. I am happy for you that you managed to buy a kit recently, you are more lucky than me. Could you help me by scaning each of the frames ?

I did not know that sister ships were built by the same shipyard, to the best of my knowledge Mercantic was the only one of the serie within the Mercandia fleet. Mercantic is still trading under French flag.

rgds / roland

Dai_Jones

Visit site
Hi Roland,
For further info on lines for Mercantic please contact my friend Des Eustace on djeustace@bigpond.com and he will supply you with a set of lines plus a photo of the original model built over 25 years ago and still going strong. he also has some photos of his new model under construction.
Do you have the name and colours of Mercantic as she now is under the French flag.
Thanks for the info.

rgr004

Visit site
Hi Dai,

Regretfully no, I have seen a picture of her but I must admit that I would not have recognized her. She has apparently been much rebuilt.

Will try to get a picture for you.

rgds / roland

rgr004

Visit site
Hi dai,

Have learnt that nine vessels were built in the serie as follows :

Mercantic (built 1964),
Astrid Rarberg (1964),
Falkur 1965 (later Jenka),
Kleven 1965 (later Minde),
Mercantas 1966,
N. O. Petersen 1966,
Gerda Rarberg 1966,
Egholm 1967,
Karen Danica 1968

rgds / roland

trax2000

Visit site
Hello Dai
I was wondering if it would be possible for me to purchase a set of the plans for the Mercantic from you. I have had an unfinished hull for years and alot of parts but no idea of what the model is supposed to look like.
Looking for help...
Steve Johnson

torvald

Visit site
body plan of mercandan or mercantic

Hi!
I’m a naval architect student at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and about to do a student work on the type of ship previously discussed. One of the ships in that series is still running under Swedish flag with the name Polfors (ex Mercandan http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/mercandan_1967.htm ) as an educational platform for seamen’s. I want to use the ship to verify a manoeuvring simulation script that I have been programming and an important part in that would be to have the body plan. Unfortunately has not the owner of today any body plan only general arrangement drawings, scantlings and shell extrusions. So if someone have the body plan and would be willing to help me I would really appreciate it.

regards Torvald

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Torvald,
As this is a ship built in 1967, I would ask your question on this site - http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php

There are many older seafarers using this site, so you may be lucky.

Good luck with your studies. I sailed to Stockholm many times when I was at sea in the 1970's and remember many good times there.

Jim

respatfu

N/A
Visit site
Information is still wanted about any of the eleven or so ships to the same basic design as to their colours, ports of regestry, name changes etc.