Most seaworthy 30' boat?

Humblebee

Visit site
I agree with Yellow Ballad, see 56 above. See and try as many boats as you can before making your choice and as others have said, it's the crew and the way a boat is sailed that are the main criteria in determining seaworthiness.

markhomer

Visit site
It’s interesting to note , the trouble the old classics got into in the recent round the world race specifically for them and the attrition rate , the golden globe .

I would rather sail a boat in heavy seas that could pick up its stern and fly down waves overtaking them ,rather than a tradstyle boat with pooping and broaching as it’s hull form won’t allow it to hit high speeds , just look at videos of trad boats in high seas and winds , up wind and down and compare to modern boats .

Oh what boat would in consider seaworthy in this bracket ...... pogo 30 or similar .

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It’s interesting to note , the trouble the old classics got into in the recent round the world race specifically for them and the attrition rate , the golden globe .

I would rather sail a boat in heavy seas that could pick up its stern and fly down waves overtaking them ,rather than a tradstyle boat with pooping and broaching as it’s hull form won’t allow it to hit high speeds , just look at videos of trad boats in high seas and winds , up wind and down and compare to modern boats .

Oh what boat would in consider seaworthy in this bracket ...... pogo 30 or similar .
I like the pogo 30. Not seen one in the southern ocean so can't comment :cool:

MedwaySailor

Visit site
I have the opportunity of a very reasonable birth. But the boat can't be longer than 30' 5".
I don't have time for two boats in my life so want to get the decision right. Or try my best. Don't want my dreams of voyages to be restricted.
Nich 31 looks good but may be a slug. I want a boat that is nice to sail.
Not a twister or a vancouver 27/274, did I say it must have a double berth?
Rustler 31 out of my price band for a good one. Up to 25k ish.
Halmatic/Barbican maybe.

Looks like I am fixated on long keel but I am not and nor by skegs.

All input apprectiated.
We have just bought a Delphia 29 which gives us 2 double cabins, plenty of stowage. All lines lead aft to the cabin and nice sidedeck. I rejected the Sadler 29 because I found the sidedecks were steeply angled. Was very tempted by a Maxi. Here's the link to a couple of Delphia 29 for sale now. Feel free to mssg me as I am intending to set up a Facebook group for the Delphia 29 and another forum has given me a lot of information that I am happy to share. Boats for sale, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site

There’s an entirely different point to consider, here.

I am so old that I was crewing for HW Tilman at a time when his old friend Dr David Lewis was capsizing his way round Antarctica in the 30ft steel sloop “Ice Bird”.

“That boat is too small for those waters” said Bill, who had been there himself.

That stuck in my mind, for I had grown up with the “corked bottle” theory; the idea that any little boat can survive any weather and sea conditions if you can just keep the water out of her, which was the received wisdom of the 1960s.

These days we know that a boat’s resistance to wave induced capsize is, other things being more or less equal, closely related to her size.

Last edited:

Aeolus

Visit site
We have just bought a Delphia 29 which gives us 2 double cabins, plenty of stowage. All lines lead aft to the cabin and nice sidedeck. I rejected the Sadler 29 because I found the sidedecks were steeply angled. Was very tempted by a Maxi. Here's the link to a couple of Delphia 29 for sale now. Feel free to mssg me as I am intending to set up a Facebook group for the Delphia 29 and another forum has given me a lot of information that I am happy to share. Boats for sale, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

Whilst I'm sure a Delphia 29 is a lovely boat, this is what the Delphia website says about it:
'This compact cruiser, Delphia 29 is designed specifically to provide maximum performance for inshore voyages and cruising inland waterways whilst combining superlative nautical properties with roominess and safety.'

Seaworthy!?

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I don't understand the rustler thing. When I look at the stats, in comparison to the N31 they are basically the same Displacement, Lwl and LOA, but have more ballast so presumably less plastic, less beam so presumably less room, and less sail so presumably slower. What am I missing?
Reading ... try Marchaj's book "Seaworthiness, the Forgotten Factor.

Laminar Flow

Visit site

Have you actually ever tried that tactic, surfing down waves in heavy seas or have you been offshore in heavy weather in a small boat loaded for transoceanic travel ...
or, is this recommendation based solely on the watching of videos?

MedwaySailor

Visit site
Whilst I'm sure a Delphia 29 is a lovely boat, this is what the Delphia website says about it:
'This compact cruiser, Delphia 29 is designed specifically to provide maximum performance for inshore voyages and cruising inland waterways whilst combining superlative nautical properties with roominess and safety.'

Seaworthy!?
It's rated 2.1 and I'm pretty sure the rating for blue water sailing is 2. All lines lead aft. They stressed the ease of inshore and inland waterways because options for a lifting keel, lifting rudder and an easily lowering and raising mast system were available. I think the self tailing winches were standard. We are planning to sail ours across to France and down the canal system to Paris. A great family holiday in a very nice affordable all rounder.

Seaworthy!?

johnalison

Visit site
It's rated 2.1 and I'm pretty sure the rating for blue water sailing is 2. All lines lead aft. They stressed the ease of inshore and inland waterways because options for a lifting keel, lifting rudder and an easily lowering and raising mast system were available. I think the self tailing winches were standard. We are planning to sail ours across to France and down the canal system to Paris. A great family holiday in a very nice affordable all rounder.
The Delphia appears to be perfectly satisfactory boat that will do what it says on the tin. I have taken smaller boats on longer trips and I have no doubt that it will give you a pleasant and safe cruise. However, it displaces about three tons and has about 26% ballast. Compare this with the Sadler 29 which is heavier and has over 40% ballast and which I have already described as capable but not in the upper ranks of seaworthiness, and the Delphia does appear to be a boat designed for coastal and limited offshore sailing. The Sadler has a substantial skeg, whereas the Delphia has none, and this alone would make me set limits to its cruising range.

Sharky34

Visit site
What ratio are you quoting?

Cotillion

Visit site
I have the opportunity of a very reasonable birth. But the boat can't be longer than 30' 5".
I don't have time for two boats in my life so want to get the decision right. Or try my best. Don't want my dreams of voyages to be restricted.
Nich 31 looks good but may be a slug. I want a boat that is nice to sail.
Not a twister or a vancouver 27/274, did I say it must have a double berth?
Rustler 31 out of my price band for a good one. Up to 25k ish.
Halmatic/Barbican maybe.

Looks like I am fixated on long keel but I am not and nor by skegs.

All input apprectiated.
I sail a Halmatic 30 and whilst not the fastest boat around it defiantly sea-kindly. Practically sails itself when beating. Doesn’t slam but can get a bit wet in a seaway.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
This sort of thing? Capable of anything the Fastnet throws at you but very little homage to the 60s and 70s GRP boats that were designed according the limitations and style of wooden construction.

Simon Rogers - Whitbread 30 (AKA Mount Gay 30) in South Glamorgan, Wales | Boats and Outboards

I have been chuckling over the owners’description:

“She is a fun, solid and safe offshore boat, with sufficient accommodation for the average Spartan, and full standing headroom in the cabin (for Hobbits)..”

Actually that sounds very Sixties indeed!