Morse Controls

G

Hi looking for some help/info and advice please. I have a Princess and have had problems with the morse controls being very stiff. Have checked up on the price to change them to electronic but that's too expensive. Just heard about a new wired system that they could be changed to, which I think is called Speedwire and is supposed to be very good? Has anyone else heard of it? and if so where I might found out more info. Thanks

byron

RIP
Visit site
Yo Tex., stick with your Morse, they don't come any better. If yours are stiff the cables probably need replacing.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

LeytonC

Visit site
are you sure its not the outdrive(s) that are causing the problem?

I have enfield 130's and i had one go very stiff to engage gear 'cos the
gear lever pin inside had partly come out. But apart from that i agree
with byron, replace the cables.

NB also morse levers are chromed, which i think is cool compared to black
plastic.

Thanks

Leyton
(River Severn / Bristol Channel)

jfm

Visit site
Stiffness is caused by the cables, 99 times in 100, as others have said. Disconnect the cables from the engine then see if it's still stiff when you operate the Morse levers at the helm. The cables are easy to change and fairly cheap. You could try regreasing or WD40ing the old ones, but it's a faf and often doesn't work, and if they're very old it's best to change them anyway as they might snap due to fatigue. If the throttle cable snaps at WOT while you're entering a marina people will think you are BarryD :)

byron

RIP
Visit site
Aaaaarrrgghh! No! No! No! never grease or oil the cables that is just an invitation to dirt and other detritus to contaminate the tube. Never ever oil or grease them doing so can often be the cause of them becoming stiff and eventually failing.
At least so I have been told

coliholic

Visit site
C'mon Byron, none of that hiding behind the old "so I have been told" crap.

Tell us all about the time you oiled and greased yours.

byron

RIP
Visit site
I never touch anything mechanical, if I do it breaks, people gasp with fear if I even glance in the direction of their engines.

coliholic

Visit site
I gotta sneaky feeling you're hiding something here O Great Owner Of The Thames.

There's a story here just waiting to be told, just that we haven't found the right way to winkle it out of you yet. You've definitely done something to some Morse controls at some time and are now playing hard to get and not owning up to it.

Was it THAT embarrasing?

Or one of those stupid "I know I should have known better but..." type stories.

Come on, don't hold out on us. You know you'll feel better if you let it all out

BrendanS

Visit site
Go to bed ! (that's code for 'I know nuffin about Morse cables' and SWMBO is gettin seriously pissed at me for being up and wants me to go to bed <s>

byron

RIP
Visit site
Just seeing the wifey off, she's gonna go over to Clive Folley's to pick up his missus then two other missuses and by 5am will be on their flight to Espana.
eat wot I like, drink wot I like, party all night, Yea! A whole week of freedom

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Rebel....? Naaaahhh......you just sound like an imitation of cuteycolic......he drove tcm and me mad with his bloody cd's last weekend.....
I dunno, wifey's away for the night and your idea of living dangerously is turning up the volume on the cd player.........me, I'd have been having THREE weetabix in front of the telly and watching the History channel cos she NEVER lets me do that when shes here......................

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb Photo Gallery</A>

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Re: Morse Controls - serious answer

I have a Princess 32 and had this problem. At getting on for 30 years old the 'lubricated for life' claim is wearing a bit thin and they do get sticky and sluggish. Also, if its an outdrive boat (mine has Volvo 270 legs) thers a good chance the reversing latch is getting grunged up. Are the controls difficult to get into reverse?
I agree that lubing them is neither desirable nor, in fact really possible cos they are so well sealed at each end.
I elected to have the whole system overhauled and cured the reverse problem which was caused by antifoul paint gunging up the latches. New cables for the gear shifts and took morse control levers off for clean and overhaul.......and there was the biggest single reason for the stiffness.......the grease inside the control levers was caked hard...once that was cleaned out and regreased the difference was remarkable.
Afraid the boat probably needs out of the water for cleaning reverse latches and changing gear shift cables........
So my advice would be.....
1.Before doing anything else, remove control levers, dismantle and clean thoroughly, regrease and replace and see if that cures the problem.
2. If its a difficulty getting into reverse problem most likely cause is grunged up reversing latches on legs.
3. If after 1 and 2 controls are still stiff then change the cables.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb Photo Gallery</A>

oldgit

Visit site
Re: The Windsor rock n Roller Band.

Well Elvis Costello I can put up with,but did not realise than Her Majesty had got a new CD out.Still its close to Xmas and she needs the money for all those court fees.

And here is the weekend weather..

G

Thanks for help, I'll have a go at seeing if the levers freeing up have grease cables but that didn't work, have a good weekend