Morse control springs back from full throttle

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
My morse control is ancient with no name or identifying marks on it and definitely does not have a tension control visible once the handle is removed. RTFM is not a possibility as I have no idea what make the device is.

Interested in the idea of increasing friction in the cable by simply bending it round a sharper angle - that sounds as though it should work, and will avoid concentrating the strain on one part of the cable with the clip method.

The thing I find most baffling is why I have to move the lever further to get full throttle in ahead than I do to get full throttle in reverse. This to me seems to be in some way connected with the fact that the springback effect only happens in ahead.

Why oh why are morse cables such a PITA? Why not just have a gear lever and a throttle lever?

- W

Last edited:

scottie

Visit site
My morse control is ancient with no name or identifying marks on it and definitely does not have a tension control visible once the handle is removed. RTFM is not a possibility as I have no idea what make the device is.

Interested in the idea of increasing friction in the cable by simply bending it round a sharper angle - that sounds as though it should work, and will avoid concentrating the strain on one part of the cable with the clip method.

The thing I find most baffling is why I have to move the lever further to get full throttle in ahead than I do to get full throttle in reverse. This to me seems to be in some way connected with the fact that the springback effect only happens in ahead.

Why oh why are morse cables such a PITA? Why not just have a gear lever and a throttle lever?

- W

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...zQxpAeE4/RK=2/RS=dIBosuANSMqWbTLKZ7xuDzK_6cw-

This may help it
It’s a MV control but uses the the same core box as the MI
The spring set up may be different but it gives you the concept

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
So this is totally baffling . . .

I measured the extension of the cable inner in reverse full throttle (not slipping) and in full throttle forward (slipping). The length was exactly the same. This doesn;t make sense - same cab le, same throttle spring, same extension. Unless the friction on the central shaft (splined, operated by the handle) is irregular round its diameter. There is no friction adjustment on this that I can see though, so this possibility doesn't help.

Going to try the cable clamp solution.

- W

AndrewB

Visit site
Do you have this problem in neutral as well as under load? When I had a similar problem, the slippage only occurred under load. It was diagnosed as caused by misalignment and a chipped prop - I don't understand how or why, but fitting a new prop cured it.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Do you have this problem in neutral as well as under load? When I had a similar problem, the slippage only occurred under load. It was diagnosed as caused by misalignment and a chipped prop - I don't understand how or why, but fitting a new prop cured it.
This is with the engine not running. Same in neutral or in gear.

How does the throttle return spring operate? Is there any way it could be 'stronger' in ahead than in reverse?

- W

scottie

Visit site
No it’s not
The control is not set up correctly
The fact that the pivot at the end of the cable is hanging on by the last couple of threads is indicating that it’s wrong
Can you post a photo of the control from the cockpit side please

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
No it’s not
The fact that the pivot at the end of the cable is hanging on by the last couple of threads is indicating that it’s wrong
A video on youtube would be better form both sides!

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
No it’s not

I appreciate your comment, but - there is nothing to see from the cockpit side, just a recess with the splined shaft for the handle.

I have adjusted the number of threads showing from all to none and back again and it makes no difference.

To extend the cable in reverse to obtain full throttle 7.6cm of inner cable is protruding. To extend the cable in ahead to obtain full throttle 7.6cm of inner cable is protruding.

Yet in ahead the cable friction between inner and outer is patently unable to overcome the throttle return spring tension at full throttle. There is obviously something different but I am buggered if I can see what it is. If there is some way of increasing the tension inside the unit I cannot find it. And - I have now cleaned the cockpit side up and sikaflexed it back on, so not going to take that off again if I can help it.

Am away to try a cable clamp. Just not sure where the best place to put it is - near the throttle end or near the control end?

- W

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Unless I'm completely mis-reading the photo, screwing the thread of the throttle cable into the pin on the throttle lever will shorten the cable and result in achieving the extra 10mm pull that you need?

In reverse, you will achieve full throttle earlier, which is not an issue.

It's not extra pull that I seem to need, the cable opens the throttle all the way in reverse or forward with the same amount of inner extended. In ahead though the throttle spring pulls it back. Anyway, I have gone with the cable clip tightened onto the cable and it's working now!

- W

scottie

Visit site
I appreciate your comment, but - there is nothing to see from the cockpit side, just a recess with the splined shaft for the handle.

I have adjusted the number of threads showing from all to none and back again and it makes no difference.

To extend the cable in reverse to obtain full throttle 7.6cm of inner cable is protruding. To extend the cable in ahead to obtain full throttle 7.6cm of inner cable is protruding.

Yet in ahead the cable friction between inner and outer is patently unable to overcome the throttle return spring tension at full throttle. There is obviously something different but I am buggered if I can see what it is. If there is some way of increasing the tension inside the unit I cannot find it. And - I have now cleaned the cockpit side up and sikaflexed it back on, so not going to take that off again if I can help it.

Am away to try a cable clamp. Just not sure where the best place to put it is - near the throttle end or near the control end?

- W
You are being thrawn if you post or PM a photo I should be able to identify you control

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
You are being thrawn if you post or PM a photo I should be able to identify you control

Here's the front of it: (You've seen the back)

52819932_10156343658257753_8510184428067094528_o.jpg

But, as I said, the cable clamp idea - as recommended by Salty John/ a morse engineer - has worked a treat. I shall however carry a spare cable in case of future problems.

- W

Last edited: