Morocco for extended visits/liveaboard

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Schengen 90/180 rule and extended stays in the Canaries are making me think about alternatives to returning to the UK

Are any of the Moroccan marinas suitable for extended stays a month or more at a time?

- W

stranded

Visit site
Only visited, but I’d have no hesitation staying long term in Tangier - great location - big, so not personal, and windy, but flat. I am biased because Morocco is one of my favourite countries and Tangier my favourite towns, but reckon you could do much worse.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Rabat is meant to be nice. American friends used to go to Agadir after Portugal and before Canaries to comply with regs.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Only visited, but I’d have no hesitation staying long term in Tangier - great location - big, so not personal, and windy, but flat. I am biased because Morocco is one of my favourite countries and Tangier my favourite towns, but reckon you could do much worse.
Is it safe for English? My insurance company wants extra if I got to Africa.

stranded

Visit site
Is it safe for English? My insurance company wants extra if I got to Africa.
It’s an international city - no particular problem for English - indeed a certain inexplicable affection. Of course knobs will find problems anywhere they go, but sure that’s not a problem for you.

Star-Lord

Visit site
It’s an international city - no particular problem for English - indeed a certain inexplicable affection. Of course knobs will find problems anywhere they go, but sure that’s not a problem for you.
If I had North African cuisine twice a day I would feel very lucky and be very well behaved :)

RupertW

Visit site
If I had North African cuisine twice a day I would feel very lucky and be very well behaved :)
Rabat is a great marina and incredible city (or really pair of cities). Super cheap and well maintained with security guards whistling at anybody who ventures near boats. A few long term stayers who look like their boats might have made it down the Atlantic coast but aren’t really fit to set out again. Very sheltered, safe and well organised even if very French in their attitude to helpfulness. The bazaar is an experience, mostly good. Casablanca is nearby but doesn’t have a good rep for yachts so we avoided it, but don’t really know the truth of the rumours.

V1701

Visit site
There was a post on another thread describing the "tactics" of some non-EU cruisers currently in the Med whereby they gain themselves some time by checking in somewhere, then check out a week or so later, cruise around for a few months, then check in again & if ever asked they've been cruising the African coast. I guess what you're describing is the same thing except you'd be actually doing it...

Star-Lord

Visit site
My insurance is ok with morocco, Haven Knox Johnston as was. Amlin now?
Pantaenius

There was a post on another thread describing the "tactics" of some non-EU cruisers currently in the Med whereby they gain themselves some time by checking in somewhere, then check out a week or so later, cruise around for a few months, then check in again & if ever asked they've been cruising the African coast. I guess what you're describing is the same thing except you'd be actually doing it...
But if you spent 90 days in Canaries and 90 days in Morocco then one is complying with regulations and everything is above board (obviously a weather window will probably mess up your plans but leave earlier rather than later).

capnsensible

Visit site
Have been up and down that coast a bit but never stopped in the highly regarded Rabat!

Easiest place from the Canaries now is the full service marina in Agadir. Big tourist area too so lots of cheaper flight options plus stuff to do.

Be prepared for French Bureaucracy applied in a languid way. Patience is rewarded though. Im a fan of Morocco.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Have been up and down that coast a bit but never stopped in the highly regarded Rabat!

Easiest place from the Canaries now is the full service marina in Agadir. Big tourist area too so lots of cheaper flight options plus stuff to do.

Be prepared for French Bureaucracy applied in a languid way. Patience is rewarded though. Im a fan of Morocco.

Morocco is our new Plan B for being able to spend 6 months a year minimum Winter liveaboard in the sun. Delighted to hear it meet with so much approval.

- W

stranded

Visit site
Morocco is our new Plan B for being able to spend 6 months a year minimum Winter liveaboard in the sun. Delighted to hear it meet with so much approval.

- W
Sure you’ll love it - but you’ll need to check that you can extend your stay beyond I believe the standard 90 days if you intend to stay for 6 months.

nortada

Visit site
We stayed for four months in Agadir one winter and loved it. Lots of flights from airport. Cheap coach to Marrakech. Friendly and cheap. Fabulous food. Take plenty of alcohol with you though as its expensive and relatively hard to get hold of!

Visited Agadir for a month and loved it but don't think we could carry enough booze to see us through the winter. On that subject, were you checked for alcohol on arrival?