Mooring Pick Up Question

KAM

Visit site
My boat has twin bow rollers with mooring cleats either side of the deck approximately a meter further aft. Currently I have one pick up rope over one bow roller going to one cleat but the angle between the rope and the bow roller is such that the rope fouls the bow roller side channel slightly. I wish to bring the rope parallel with the centre line before it enters the bow roller. I would also be happier if I had two pick ups one over each roller onto each cleat so that each cleat is evenly loaded. What is the simplest solution. The two separate ropes would need to be attached to each other aft of the bow roller to bring them onto the centreline in a Y shape running either side of the fore stay fitting. I currently have chain to within 500mm of the bow with rope onto the cleat so its relatively easy to attach a second rope. The space aft of the bow roller is taken up by the anchor locker and a centrally mounted vertical winch which I do not wish to use. Any advice greatly appreciated.

PlankWalker

Visit site
That's the same situation I have. I use one thick rope 30mm with 1 1/4" clear hose over it as chafe protection. It rubs against the bow roller and pulpit stantion, never had any problem.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
A bridle, using both cleats and fairleads. Needs to be long enough to be well clear of the anchor.

One, or two separate lines, using the fairleads and cleats.

A samson post just in front of the windlass.

A heavy duty stainless ring with two short lines spliced to it, each going to a cleat. One or two mooring lines spliced or shackled to the ring, i'd favour splicing. I would splice all of the lines with thimbles.

rob2

Visit site
I'd be inclined to either lengthen the chains or haul them up further so that the chafe area is occupied by chain and the ropes can then cope with the run to the cleats. That way you haave no common components and the two lines maintain the redundancy of the double system.

Rob.

KAM

Visit site
That's the same situation I have. I use one thick rope 30mm with 1 1/4" clear hose over it as chafe protection. It rubs against the bow roller and pulpit stantion, never had any problem.

I never had a problem with my previous boat until it chafed through in a F11 and the boat went ashore.

dunedin

Visit site
Our anchor snubber is a three strand rope spliced into a Y shape - one end is a loop which goes through and over one cleat, the other end of the Y left as a rope end, to allow adjustment to ensure the main section is central and not chafing.
The same approach could be used for a mooring strop

Len Ingalls

Visit site
My boat has twin bow rollers with mooring cleats either side of the deck approximately a meter further aft. Currently I have one pick up rope over one bow roller going to one cleat but the angle between the rope and the bow roller is such that the rope fouls the bow roller side channel slightly. I wish to bring the rope parallel with the centre line before it enters the bow roller. I would also be happier if I had two pick ups one over each roller onto each cleat so that each cleat is evenly loaded. What is the simplest solution. The two separate ropes would need to be attached to each other aft of the bow roller to bring them onto the centreline in a Y shape running either side of the fore stay fitting. I currently have chain to within 500mm of the bow with rope onto the cleat so its relatively easy to attach a second rope. The space aft of the bow roller is taken up by the anchor locker and a centrally mounted vertical winch which I do not wish to use. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Your existing setup causes the rope to "squeeze" between the outside of a bow roller & it's mount?
Even if you correct the angle of this rope from the roller to the cleat,what is to stop that rope from squeezing between roller mount on the outer(anchor rode) end,when boat swings at an angle to mooring/anchor?

Consider not using bow roller(s) for anchoring/mooring & instead,use a rope bridle-one leg from each cleat- & attached to chain with your choice of method.
The chain could still be brought in thru roller & "tied" to boat with slack as a backup.

In the case of mooring,two strops-one to each cleat would be preferable IMHO.
If mooring has only one strop-use the above bridle.

Quick one piece bridle-using a center spliced thimble , two turns of rode pushed thru it & held by a toggle.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wocim0zk85r7hre/AADSurOWZJPqeez58Uy2p5GBa?dl=0

Len

Last edited: