Moody 40

boathead

Visit site
O.K. folks let the fun begin. I have a Westerly 33 and am looking at buying an early 80's Moody 40 with the plan to sail off for a while with my wife. So, I quite like the Moody 40, not entirely sure if its as robust as an Oceanlord but it does have a better layout, we will have grown up kids with us on a regular basis, and they are much more reasonably priced than an Oceanlord. Would you let me know what opinions or stories are out there about the Primrose designed 40's.

Cheers.

Tranona

Visit site
Looked seriously at buying one about 15 years ago. Plenty of space down below with a useful side cabin forward of the saloon as well as a bow cabin. Two different layouts in the aft cabin, one with athwartships berth. The one I considered had all the cheapo formica type "woodwork" replaced with proper veneer and paint as well as some modifications to the chart table area which in the original is a bit odd.

The design was ahead of its time with a fairly flat bottom, lowish ballast ratio (36%) and modest rig - sa/disp around 14, so not a powerful sailor compared with its contemporaries. In my research i discovered some problems with keels and skegs in the early days, but guess any would have been fixed by now.

Like any near 40 year old boat the original electrics and equipment was poor and the overall build quality not a patch on later boats, but of course they have now been through several owners who may or may not have done good things to them so you have to assess each boat individually. They are modestly priced compared with other similar boats because they are not as desirable, for which one might read not as "good".

I did not buy the boat I looked at because it needed about 50% of the asking price spent on it to bring it up to a decent spec for what I wanted (going to the Med). The owner never really went anywhere and used it more as a party boat for his big family for which it was ideal. Instead I did the sensible thing and bought a new Bavaria under a charter management deal in Greece for a lot less money. Missed out on the trip down there but had 10 years of relatively hassle free holidays in the sun.

capnsensible

Visit site
O.K. folks let the fun begin. I have a Westerly 33 and am looking at buying an early 80's Moody 40 with the plan to sail off for a while with my wife. So, I quite like the Moody 40, not entirely sure if its as robust as an Oceanlord but it does have a better layout, we will have grown up kids with us on a regular basis, and they are much more reasonably priced than an Oceanlord. Would you let me know what opinions or stories are out there about the Primrose designed 40's.

Cheers.

It's seven feet longer than mine that has taken my wife and I across the Atlantic and back twice. One foot bigger that my friends one that took him across the Atlantic and back twice.

You may deduce that I like them!

Heckler

Visit site

capnsensible

Visit site
I think I remember seeing that. It's aft cockpit, mine centre. There are some real bargains around that area at the moment. As I understand it from the broker ( he used to advertise in our pilot) if you nip over and do the deal in Gib, there is no sales tax, an added incentive.

:encouragement: