Moody 36

lukewhite

Visit site
I am in the process of buying a boat and would like some advice. I am looking at a Moody 36 with a view to permanent liveaboard. When putting in an offer, given the current financial climate, how much below the asking price would be considered an acceptable offer?

Richard10002

Visit site
Depends a bit on the asking price and the apparent condition and spec. of the boat.

If you look at what is on the market, at what price, you can see where your particular boat sits in terms of competitiveness.

my 44 is priced at the lowest end of those available, (£120K), and I would look seriously at offers around £115,000, so you could offer me £5K less than my asking price.

If I had taken the brokers advice and priced it at £125K, you could have offered me £10k less than the asking price... the offer would be the same.

dazautomatics

www.freewebs.com
Having purchased a couple of boats for long term cruising over the last few years I would suggest If this is a Old 70-80s boat to be down right cheeky and offer a substantially low price.

Please be careful of some advertisements, with “careful owner”, as the boat is old and the hull / cabin is in a good condition this really means careful to spend any money!

With an older boat, you need to consider the following tasks before fitting your cruising kit

Sea cocks
Plumbing
Water Tanks
Diesel system
Engine
Wiring
Lights
Instruments
Toilet
Cooker
Refinishing the cabin (as living aboard will show lot's of neglect pretty quick
Sails
Batteries
Rigging wires
Winches
Sheets and Halyards

I hope you are getting the picture.

We estimated this into our cost but they still escalate, if a previous owner has replaced one or two bits but the rest is old and tired then reduce the offer, if he wants too much, wait until you find a gem of a boat that some poor sod like me has replaced all the behind the scenes bits that cost a fortune!!

If this is a new Moody 36 please beg my pardon, but maybe a helpful tip for those with a few less beer tokens.

Darren

paul

Visit site
I sold my 1998 Moody 36 for £95K nearly 3 years ago. It was top condition and spec. I know someone who bought a 1999 model 2 years ago for £87K. It was reasonable condition/spec. It depends on the condition, seller and location. A boat for sale on the south coast will normally fetch a few thousand more than one in a less popular location. For a Moody 36 around 1997-1999 build I'd try an offer of £80K and expect the seller to refuse. In doing so however you might get an inication of how much he's prepared to drop. If you can get him to suggest a counter offer then have a go at asking him to meet you half way between your offer (say £80K) and his couner offer price?

lukewhite

Visit site
I've found a boat we like, 1980 Moody 36, but it's the money that's causing problems! A bank loan is out of the question, despite both of us working fulltime the bank won't give us a penny. And, as we intend to live on the boat, and stay in one place, not disappear off to the other side of the world, then we can't get a mortgage on the boat either. Are there any financial institutions which would lend to liveaboards, or are we living in cloud cuckoo land? We need to find £17000 of the £37k asking price.

Richard10002

Visit site
Are you living aboard at the moment? or do you live in a house? owner occupiers or tenants?

Change your plans such that you wont be living aboard

maxi77

Visit site
Having just bought a Moody 36 of a similar age I would suggest you first find out how long the boat has been on the market and see if you can find out how keen the owner is to sell. Also it is useful to know whether the price has been reduced since the boat went on the market. In general you should first decide the maximum you will pay, and I would suggest in the present climate that will be between 10 and 20% below the asking price. Then offer less to give you some bargaining room, no one likes to accept the first offer unless they are really desperate. The after the survey you need to either get the owner to accept the cost off rectification of the defects, or get estimates you can trust and be hardnosed about getting the owner to accept them. Some repairs may be considered betterment such as osmosis treatment and you should be prepared to accept some of the cost of these. Good luck, they start putting my new gelcoat on tomorrow, then I can realy get stuck nto the refurbishment.