Monel pop rivets - very good but what to do with the steel pin inside?

nemodreams

Visit site
Heat them in a flame or on the stove - then quickly set them. Small blowtorch ideal for the job. 4.8 will set easily with a normal sized pop gun ( draper etc - nothing special ) Not red hot - just hot. Hold them with pliers then set them in the gun.

Not sure what it does to the rivet mind you - but its saves a lot of elbow grease.

Geoff

VicS

Visit site
Heat them in a flame or on the stove - then quickly set them. Small blowtorch ideal for the job. 4.8 will set easily with a normal sized pop gun ( draper etc - nothing special ) Not red hot - just hot. Hold them with pliers then set them in the gun.

Not sure what it does to the rivet mind you - but its saves a lot of elbow grease.

Geoff

Are you sure you should be doing anything to make the mandrel break more easily?

cliff

Visit site
Ok Girls put the handbags down. What i do is knock the mandrel back ans smear some Duralac around the ball and stem making sure I have covered the ball completely then fit in hole and pop. A bit of Duralac in the head of the rivet and seal with the little plastic plug supplied. The remains of the mandrel are coated in Duralac and so no worries about rusting.

charles_reed

Visit site
Monel steel does not rust and you do not push the pin inside. The rivet will expand inside and the pin will break at a point almost in line with the visible part of the rivet, the remaining of the pin which broke off will be disposed.

Monel is not steel - it's a nickel copper alloy - the end of the pin will break and the small piece stay there, in the centre of the rivet. It's unlikely to rust much and monel is not used to avoid staining, rather to provide a strong, non-corroding connection. In the 25 years I've been using monel rivets, I've never had any signs of rust. Just ignore your fears over a problem which does not exist.

Boo2

Visit site
I also used 4.8 monel rivets but bought a cheap air riveter to use with our little portable compressor.

I've often thought you should be able to buy riveters built like those small, cheap and generally excellent hydraulic crimp tools readily available on eBay but have never actually seen one, anyone know where you can buy such a thing ?

Boo2

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
I've often thought you should be able to buy riveters built like those small, cheap and generally excellent hydraulic crimp tools readily available on eBay but have never actually seen one, anyone know where you can buy such a thing ?

Boo2

There is a drill accessory called a Rivegun or something, driven by any power drill, which sets blind rivets.
I would try one if I had to do lots of rivets up the mast, you could use a cordless drill, and wouldn't have to push and brace yourself.
just googld it, RiveDrill, says up to 4.8 mil aluminium, probly too weak for monel.
Plenty of cordless rivet guns for £500..

Last edited: