Moderated Forum Required Steve 101

jimi

Visit site
Perhaps we could have a moderated forum with Steve101 in the hotseat making his case for release?

<hr width=100% size=1>
sailboat_e0.gif

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: who\'d preside?

Not judge Kim 'Hang 'emall' Hollamby?

( no offence meant Kim.)

we could have John Matthews write an article all about it and run it before the decision causing the whole trial to be thrown out and steve to walk free.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sailbadthesinner on 20/03/2003 16:11 (server time).</FONT></P>

jimi

Visit site
Re: who\'d preside?

I'd nominate Observer as Judge and Kimmie can be Crown Counsel, the 101 can defend himself and PaulineB can do the cleaning?

<hr width=100% size=1>
sailboat_e0.gif

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Sorry, no

He had three chances, swore blind he would behave decently on each of them and then didn't, kept me up most of the night on at least two occasions, was abusive to several users to a very concerning degree and managed to persuade a few regulars to steer clear of here, let alone any effect he might have had on casual browsers.

Frankly, life is too short to spend it playing backside wipe to people who don't respect the degree of trust placed upon them when they engage here on unmoderated forums.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Sorry, no

Without disagreeing with any of your conclusions, this is a moderated forum. You moderate it. In fact, Kim, sometimes you do quite a bit of snipping. Well, maybe it's right and needs doing, but let's not kid ourselves that you don't do it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

John,

With respect these forums are monitored but they are not moderated. A moderated forum is one on which all posts are placed in a folder offline until approved by a moderator. Sorry to be pedantic but it is in fact a very important distinction.

Kim

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: ah but

JohnM, I agree that lumps are chucked or locked, but it's not "moderated" in the way that the term is generally used: with a moderated forum, each post would be examined, sometimes clipped or moved elsewhere because it's frivolous or irrelevant, much more like an editor really, whereas here the moderation is nearer the style of a barman - it only kicks in when the going gets rough.

Tryly mderated forums are a total and utter pain imho, but apparently quite normal over at BBC forums, for example. Here, by comparison, it's the wild west. But i think posters hereabouts can have a pat on the back that we have mostly been quite well behaved - to start, they were gonna have all sorts of words banned, including Scunthorpe.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
In reality...

I have enormous respect for Kim's hands off style .. but he's always there. Top marks and respect!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
sailboat_e0.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: In reality...

I'd argue Kim's point that this is not a moderated forum. It is, and moderation is not about putting everything into a basket to be approved, but I totally agree that the hands off moderation that occurs here is exemplary, and that Kim is one of the best practioners of moderation that I've seen in any forum

That's not a snovelling or grovelling post aimed at Kim, just an acknowledgement that his judgement is far better than most

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: but but

But normally in a moderated forum, the moderator (or lots) are on line all the blimmin time, poking their nose in, little messages, moving things off to another thread and so on.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: but but

ermm!! no, disagree.Have several forums which are moderated in the same style that Kim does his bit. Compuserve type intervention went out a long time ago.
Nothing much is missed though

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: ybw is one of the best

Quick note to say that compared to the biggest sailing BB in the USA you are very fortunate in having such a good forum. There is far more respect towards each other found here, as well as a better structure to pick and choose what you want to read or follow. I have several friends that no longer go to the one in question as its become in their eyes, very clicky, tired of the amount of non-sailing topics being posted, and the rudeness shown on many occasions. I found ybw after trying to find one back in my wife's homeland of Australia (without success). By the way, I actually got brave not long ago and suggested, nicely, in them looking into a format like ybw after a thread began bringing the topic up. Needless to say I got a few nasty replies back - maybe they were justified - my wife didn't think so, not so much in them disagreeing but how they were worded.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

Kim,
Okay, you're right about that. Put this message somewhere safe, because I reckon people won't be very free in writing it to you.
John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Some points

This is an excellent Board-Forum-Discussion whatever.
It ain't perfect but then nothing ever is.
Kim does a first class job.
There are also other good (but different) sailing forums - and forum monitors - around . . .

But this internet stuff is funny.
It hasn't happened here - much - recently - but it has and it happens elsewhere and it's very bad i.m.h.o
What?
a) Malicious posting under false or multiple identities in order to deceive - defraud almost - tell lies, upset, etc etc
b) Use of words, expressions, insults, that would never ever be countenanced face-to-face - the essence of uncivilised uncouth behaviour.
c) Disagreements that quickly go beyond argument into aggressive personal attacks specifically designed to cause maximum pain and hurt - and essentially over issues of no truly real personal importance. Playground insults, little gangs, and some very real bullying.

This is - in the widest sense - a 'medium' that hasn't yet fully grown up, but YBW (and others) provide good examples of the fantastic value - wealth of information, advice, support, stimulation, camaradarie - that can be achieved.

Some editorial control is both necessary and a positive benefit to us all. Us what contribute and them what pays for all this. Not too much, though. A light touch on the tiller (=cliche).
Big shame about Steve101. It was very entertaining, but perhaps the whole thing eventually ran away out of control and just had to be brought back into line.
Grown up life in the big city, I'm afraid.

<hr width=100% size=1>