Mixing Metals

Jeep

Visit site
I have found a lot of information as to which metals DON'T go together happily but its not so easy to find which do. Namely, which material should I use for screws in aluminium (porhole and genoa car) and internal woodwork where the present steel ones have corroded (in air I think not an anode problem). I have seen some gunk in the chandlery that 'insulates' metals from each other but it seems a lot of money for something that probably doesn't work.

TIA

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Duralac...

The "gunk" you've seen in the chandlery is probably Duralac. It is quite expensive, but it really does work. It's used worldwide in all sorts of applications, including marine and aviation. A tube will last you years.

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
For strong fasteners in aluminum you don't have a lot of choice, either stainless (screws/bolts) or monel rivets. Never use any fastener with copper in.

As already said, Duralac is effective, and worth the money. A tube lasts ages.

<hr width=100% size=1>One day, I hope to own a real boat (and a reliable lifejacket).

richardandtracy

Visit site
I agree with previous statements about outside the cabin.

For interior work plated steel will last a while, but a better bet would be to use brass screws. The problems of dezincification won't arise for many years. Unless, of course, you regularly sail with a partly flooded cabin.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>