Mini BBQ for boat ....

Refueler

Visit site
I have generally carried a smallish but cumbersome BBQ on the boat - then pal of mine gave me a Finnish dish similarly to a shallow wok ... heavy metal designed to be put on a few rocks with fire under ...

KJW7RK3l.jpg

It works a treat - but still its a bit big and heavy.

In local supermarket - because its spring and over here - BBQ's are extremely popular - they have started selling all the gear.

Amongst the gear - I found this nifty little BBQ for 19 euros .....

LRrnK0Cl.jpg

I was a little concerned about the 'carcass' but once wrapping off and opened up - it has an inner charcoal container ..

TOBzRuCl.jpg

which sits on ridges raising it well up from the carcass bottom.

Small ... compact with handles ...

I accept that its very small and that it could not be used in cockpit ... but once cooled / emptied - it will stow away very nicely ...

OK -= I know there will be posts about Cobb BBQ's and able to sit on cockpit bench etc. but at 19 euros .. I think this little gem can be forgiven that limitation ~~

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Something I used was a stainless shallow box / tray that would accept a disposable BBQ. Fitted the box with a rail clamp so that it hung over the pushpit outside the boat. worked perfectly for a simple BBQ for two.

geem

Visit site
Been very happy with a Cobb for the last 12 years. On the boat, in the marina, while travelling and at home.

Alone the fact that it doesn't get hot on the outside is great for use on 'delicate' surfaces - or if you need to move while in use.
So far ever only made beautiful food for us 😝
Had ours for 15 years. A great bit of kit for the boat. Uses hardly any charcoal as well.

Refueler

Visit site
I appreciate the alternatives - and I am sure many will be interested to read posts about them. So keep posting.

For me - I started the thread just to illustrate the cheap nifty little BBQ unit I found.

I like having days away on the deep wide long river I live next to ... it has little islands and 'bays' that I can nose boat in / onto and set up a little Barby area ... this unit will be excellent for it.

Kelpie

Visit site
Looks pretty neat.
We got a Lotus mini last year, cost about €80. It uses a couple of handfuls of charcoal and thanks to the fan in the base it's ready to cook in five minutes. Pretty much all done after twenty, but it's absolutely perfect for doing a few burgers. Too small to cook for large groups but as an everyday addition to the galley it's great. Sit it wherever suits, usually aft deck for us but if it's really windy down on a cockpit seat. It gets a lot of use yet we're still on the first 4kg bag of charcoal. It's incredibly economical.

lustyd

Visit site
Ready to cook in 5 minutes if your batteries aren't flat! I was given a Lotus and while a clever idea I just don't like it. It's not a proper BBQ, the grill is small and awkward due to the central part being blocked off, the charcoal doesn't last long enough, it's a faff to set up, it's not waterproof and sand would probably kill it if you took it to the beach. Add to all of that it's absolutely massive for such a small grill so stowing it on board is wasteful, and it doesn't even have space to put things inside it.
We have a cheap £5 bucket bbq on the boat, but in reality for the beach digging a hole and taking a wire rack is the simplest solution, just don't forget a bucket for thoroughly putting coals out afterwards!

Kelpie

Visit site
Ready to cook in 5 minutes if your batteries aren't flat! I was given a Lotus and while a clever idea I just don't like it. It's not a proper BBQ, the grill is small and awkward due to the central part being blocked off, the charcoal doesn't last long enough, it's a faff to set up, it's not waterproof and sand would probably kill it if you took it to the beach. Add to all of that it's absolutely massive for such a small grill so stowing it on board is wasteful, and it doesn't even have space to put things inside it.
We have a cheap £5 bucket bbq on the boat, but in reality for the beach digging a hole and taking a wire rack is the simplest solution, just don't forget a bucket for thoroughly putting coals out afterwards!
Ah well it's not for everyone! Ours is still running on its original set of batteries, and if we got caught out of could run off USB. yes the grill area is small, but we're a family of three and it will do three burgers, that's all we're likely to want.

mullet

Visit site
The charcoal version of the Weber Go Anywhere is a great bit of kit for shore barbecues: small; all the bits one needs to use it can be packed inside it; great for cooking (you can grill sausages but it’s equally good for smoking and slow cooking); and it can be closed up to snuff out. There’s quite the subculture of people who modify them if anyone wants a niche rabbithole down which to fall… I know of a few people who use them on boats but I’m not sure I’d fancy it without a push pit rail mount (which afaik is not readily available), a Cobb or Lotus would be a safer option (albeit less effective for cooking).

Kelpie

Visit site
The charcoal version of the Weber Go Anywhere is a great bit of kit for shore barbecues: small; all the bits one needs to use it can be packed inside it; great for cooking (you can grill sausages but it’s equally good for smoking and slow cooking); and it can be closed up to snuff out. There’s quite the subculture of people who modify them if anyone wants a niche rabbithole down which to fall… I know of a few people who use them on boats but I’m not sure I’d fancy it without a push pit rail mount (which afaik is not readily available), a Cobb or Lotus would be a safer option (albeit less effective for cooking).
A mate of mine has a gas Weber. He rail mounted a big plastic chopping board asa fish gutting table and can fix the Weber to that with bolts through the feet. Seems like a good bit of kit.