Mikuni heater problems

Northern Star

Visit site
I have the Mikuni MY30 and when it smoked a lot I just changed the glow plug and it was fine. They do also need plenty of volts and will shut down if they drop too much.

Mine has also been thermal cutting out recently and there is a temp sensor inside the air outlet that may need re-setting, you remove the outlet hose and press the button in the centre of the thermal trip.

Mine is very old so it needs a good service and the seals probably done but I did pick up a second hand unit off e-bay for just £95 so may fit that and see if it is OK.

As others have said there are far cheaper options available now from China and elsewhere.

TimfromMersea

Boat at West Mersea, Essex. Live in Wivenhoe, Esse
Visit site
I have the Mikuni MY30 and when it smoked a lot I just changed the glow plug and it was fine. They do also need plenty of volts and will shut down if they drop too much.

Mine has also been thermal cutting out recently and there is a temp sensor inside the air outlet that may need re-setting, you remove the outlet hose and press the button in the centre of the thermal trip.

Mine is very old so it needs a good service and the seals probably done but I did pick up a second hand unit off e-bay for just £95 so may fit that and see if it is OK.

As others have said there are far cheaper options available now from China and elsewhere.
Great idea, but even via Google, I can’t find anyone who has got a glow plug for this heater in stock. MV Heating’s website say they have but if you phone them they say they haven’t…….they also say that they service these heaters, but if you ring them, again they say they don’t any more. Might be an idea if they updated their website!

TimfromMersea

Boat at West Mersea, Essex. Live in Wivenhoe, Esse
Visit site
All diesel heaters of this type are basically exactly the same. They are so easy to dismantle and clean. It would probably benefit from cleaning the chamber and replacing the glow plug. Just start on it and take everything to bits, maybe photograph along the way. Clean everything and re-assemble. There is absolutely no mystery to them. You might need a set of gaskets. There are also several very friendly and helpful groups on Facebook. Just search for Chinese Diesel Heaters. BTW, I've had two of the cheapies and they are just as good as the Eber-Web ones, probably come out of the same factory.
Thanks, but glow plugs, gaskets etc are completely unobtainablE. Lots of websites say they have them but if you phone them, they actually don’t

fredrussell

Visit site
I should imagine that even if you could find them, the glow plug and gaskets and other service items for your Mikuni would probably cost more than a brand new ‘chinaspacher’. Take the plunge - they’re really very good. Or if you’re feeling flush, Planar cost a bit more but have a good rep on here.

Fenders

Visit site
We had many faultless years service from our Mikuni until a few weeks ago when it decided not to fire up despite many attempts.
Done the usual checks, diesel, fuel filter, power. All ok. Then removed glow plug. Didn’t see any obvious problem but decided to replace it with a new one. Spent many hours trying to find one. Eventually, after extensive research, managed to find one made by another manufacture. It had a different product number but we were assured that it is a direct replacement for the old glow plug.
The new glow plug is identical in all respects. Once fitted it fired up immediately.

So, anyone struggling to find a glow plug for their Mikuni MY30 heater, here are the detail:

The old one is a BERU 408 GS.
The new one is an Eberspacher 251384010002
Bought from Mellor Online,
www.melloronline.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Lucy52

Visit site
We had many faultless years service from our Mikuni until a few weeks ago when it decided not to fire up despite many attempts.
Done the usual checks, diesel, fuel filter, power. All ok. Then removed glow plug. Didn’t see any obvious problem but decided to replace it with a new one. Spent many hours trying to find one. Eventually, after extensive research, managed to find one made by another manufacture. It had a different product number but we were assured that it is a direct replacement for the old glow plug.
The new glow plug is identical in all respects. Once fitted it fired up immediately.

So, anyone struggling to find a glow plug for their Mikuni MY30 heater, here are the detail:

The old one is a BERU 408 GS.
The new one is an Eberspacher 251384010002
Bought from Mellor Online
www.melloronline.co.uk

Hope this helps.
Brilliant, Just asked to see if it will fit my MY16. Another place wanted to sell me a new heater, they don't do that one any more. Lol

jimi

Visit site
Also worth running on paraffin for several hours each year. It burns hotter and cleans the combustion chamber. I’ve done this once a year for over 10 years now.

Fenders

Visit site
We may need to replace the exhaust on our Mikuni MY30 as it has probably seen better days. Does anyone know what the diameter is?