Mevagissey

johnalison

Visit site
I see that there is a programme on BBC2 at 8 this evening about the history of fishing in Meva. It should be interesting for those of us who know the place or who have a taste for pilchards.

lenten

Visit site
thanks for heads up ----saw glimpses of my old boat lenten rose ----built 1959 in fraserburgh and still going strong----- now painted green------never had anything green on the boat when i had it

raven

Visit site
It was reassuring to see the esteem and reverence in which visitors are held by the locals - particularly during the zummer months....argh!

johnalison

Visit site
It was more of a docusoap than the history programme I thought we were getting, but I found it interesting nonetheless. It looks as if there are more people with degrees in Meva than in Oxford and I have to admire them, rogues and all.

zoidberg

Visit site
Visitors might enjoy the excellent Portuguese restaurant, Alvorada, in the corner of East Wharf. ( actually, the north side, but that's Drecklies for you )
We did.... several times. Not to be missed....

Last edited:

Babylon

Visit site
I really enjoyed watching the first two episodes so far: interesting series in its own right, but also revealing to understand the different vessels types and methods, what they're actually doing as we sail past them... giving them a wide berth!

Mataji

Visit site
For anyone who missed the last episode and would like to see some, in my opinion, excellent and interesting shots of fishing from a sailing boat off Falmouth, then watch this on catchup.

johnalison

Visit site
One of the pleasures of this quiet series is the absence of heavy production values. All we have seen is the involved business of catching fish and the remarkable people involved, and their problems. A club mate of mine is a partly retired businessman in the fishing industry, who once ran a fishing fleet, and his opinion of fishermen is scarcely repeatable, but they are remarkable men, plus one woman. We used to catch mackerel from Meva in a tosher run by a chap called Ambrose. We, my twin and I, would only go out when it was rough enough for spray to come over, but most of my memory is of the delightful Ambrose, typical of his time and place.

MOBY2

Visit site
Brilliant series so far, great to see some areas of the industry are still thriving, does anyone remember the programme The Skipper from many years ago with the late Roger Knowles ... Now there was a character, he was hilarious, he was also in a programme a few years back I think called Trawler but not positive on that.
Have to say the Fal looked beautiful, must put that on the destination list as well, lloking forward to next weeks episode.