Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 Impeller problem?

joliette

www.facebook.com
My counter rotating drive isn't picking up cooling water from the flush muffs following the service I did. Nothing getting through to the engine. Standard rotation drive is fine, so I got that right! The manual calls for the impeller blades to be curled counterclockwise, so I thought this was right (see picture)?

I didn't replace the impeller last time, because it looked ok and had only just been done by the last owner, but as it's been standing for a while then maybe I should just get a service kit and do it ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dingdongs

Visit site
always good to replace bi yearly.looks ok but when you remove good one will not stay set.Iassume the key has only been removed b4 you took photo. you can check its working b4 reassembling by dropping in a bath of water above the intake and rotate shaft.make sure you don't let any get past the o-ring for the lube on starboard side

joliette

www.facebook.com
Thanks for the replies. Now it's out I'm going to replace the impeller, housing base plate (which is scored) and fit new gaskets. I wasn't aware it could be tested like that, so I'll give it a try. I think the outlet tube was lined up ok with the one in the upper housing, but I'll look out for that when I put it back together .... However, I'm suspecting a low pressure water feed through my new flush muffs may have contributed. It's a problem in certain places on the Island, my workshop being one!