Mente Marine auto trim tab system.

poltergeist

Visit site
After reading the review by Ballistix, Found Here I have recently fitted the Mente Marine ACS auto trim tab system to my S28 and wanted to comment on how impressive the system is. To say it has exceeded my expectations is an understatement, as it seems to have transformed the way the boat now handles.

As an example, it now feels a lot more stable, especially when people walk around on deck - they no longer upset the balance. But the most surprising improvement, is the way the boat gets on the plane. Pre system, when powering through the hump, the bow would shoot skyward, then level out as speed is built. Likewise, when coming off the plane, the angle was momentarily to the point where you couldn't see over the bow. Now, when going through the hump, the bow stays at a more even angle, and as a consequence, planing is achieved far quicker, and from the boats perspective, is near on effortless.

Planing at lower speeds feels more assured, and if I had any doubts as to whether fitting this system was worth it, they have all been laid to rest now.

I'd like to say thanks to Kevin at Keypart for all the aftersales customer support - nothing was too much trouble, even though he had to encounter a technophobic numpty - ME!

For the record, the system I fitted doesn't trim the outdrives, as Kevin advised that on twin engined boats, it's worth wasn't needed.

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
Interesting. I am now in season two of running the auto trim function on my Volvo "blade" tabs. End of year one they were hugely erratic, I would often find one tab at +7 on a calm day when manually trimming would be +1 or +2 max.

Recommendation from Volvo was to site the gyro lower in the boat. Brief few runs late last year suggest this has helped...but more testing needed.

Good news you've got something that works.

stef

gimmesunshine

Visit site
what tabs did you have before acs
on my s28 ive got the auto eltrim tabs and i am very impressed with them too, but they really only level side to side, not quick enough to make a difference when getting on the plane, i could do that manually if required

Ballistix

www.cinematreadwell.com
The system works with most types of trim tabs. Once you have been on a boat that allows you to basically set them manually and then get on the plane at 14 knots you suddenly realise how good the system is. Poltergeist glad it worked out good for you. I had no doubts. Kevin top bloke too and the guys at Mente are equally useful if you need them.

Regards,
T

poltergeist

Visit site
My tabs are Eltrim also - turned the Gain setting to 2, and they take around 16 seconds max to rectify a problem from the time it is detected.

poltergeist

Visit site
The gain is adjusted on the Mente system, by pressing Auto for 4 seconds, until the light flashes. Then you push either the bow up or bow down button, to move the the led situated in the bottom centre to one of three positions - i.e there is a bank of 3 vertical LEDS, only one of which is lit, to denote your selection.

The quickest position is designed for sub 25 foot boats, and then the next for bigger boats. The last setting is for over 35 footers and is the slowest acting.

Other threads that may be of interest